“Faded grandeur but that's not always a bad thing”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
“Faded grandeur but that's not always a bad thing”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Despite being slightly tired and shabby the Majestic is a lovely hotel. The hotel equivalent of a comfortable pair of slippers, slightly threadbare, seen better days but just right and far nicer than the brand new pair at the bottom of the wardrobe.

Not that I generally comment on the toilets in hotels but the gents is incredible. You have to see it to believe it. The dining room is also amazing, a delightful place to have breakfast.

The staff were, without exception, extremely helpful. We held a seminar in the French restaurant and nothing was too much trouble for them.

All this and the knowledge that Erroll Flynn stayed there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Nik S,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

It is indeed an amazing building and some of the original features like the huge Gents toilets are testament a rich heritage.

As important are those who bring it to life in looking after our customers and I'm so pleased that they were so helpful.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Sussex
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Large room room (but with a poor view) and the most uncomfortable bed I have ever tried to sleep in!. It does have a great position in Harrogate if you want to visit the town centre or attend the conference centre. Little if any, wow factor and the staff did seem rather disengaged.

Room Tip: Try another hotel?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear RogerSussex,

Thank you for your review and do let me know which room you had so that we can check the bed in light of your discomfort. v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I'm baffled how a a hotel in such poor condition can be given a 4 star rating. It's at very best a 3 star and that's if your lucky enough to get a modernised room. I checked into room 428 on Monday 19th 2014 as was attending a business convention 428 which was one of the old rooms very dated, tiles missing in the bathroom and missing tiles. The paintwork was riddled with mold and water marks. I sat in the room looking around in disbelief feeling slightly cheated by the star rating.

Booted up my PC to get some work done NO INTERNET so I stomped down to reception and they changed my room to 150 a modernised room I settled in for the night.

The room was slightly better but although modernised still shows signs of mould and tatty paintwork in the bathroom and around Covings.

I woke up in the morning and went to check my email again NO INTERNET. Again I went to reception and again they changed my room 458 room was modernised but as tatty as the last two there was no internet there either so I chose to stay where I was. I'm her for 4 days and run 4 internet based companies

It really is a sorry state and there is a lot of truth in all the other poor reviews about the poor condition of the decor.

My biggest problem was lack of internet which they say they are working on! But it's been down for three days so I don't hold out much hope

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mr Coates,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you encountered such difficulties with our wifi service. We have had our central IT team and an engineer looking into the issues you reported. We have over 40 wireless access points on site and you were part of a large conference for 500+ delegates which does appear to have affected our system.

Be assured we are definately working on it and each of the rooms you were allocated wewre standard double rooms rather than fully refurbished Premium Rooms.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Lincolnshire, England
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I tried posting this review 9 days ago following an email from Puma Hotels asking me to comment on our stay at the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. After I completed their online questionnaire there was the option to post my comments to Trip Advisor from Puma's website. Obviously these reviews are vetted by them but they do not look like they are going to passing on my review to Trip Advisor. Perhaps the outcome would have been different if I was more complementary.

Fortunately I kept a copy and here it is.

"You would have thought with a name like Majestic and a four star rating that you are in for a pretty reasonable hotel. We were allocated room 108. Other than a jolly nice room (but with a pretty dismal view) and a half decent breakfast, I do not have a great deal of good to say about this drab, cold and dreary hotel.

Yes, it does have a great position in Harrogate if you want to visit the town centre.
Yes, it does have gardens and pool plus other leisure facilities.
But, and it is a big “BUT”, things are mostly pretty ordinary and lack any wow factor or quality at all.

In particular, the public areas downstairs were very poorly heated, cold, uncomfortable, uninteresting and the decoration was dire - certainly not to be considered majestic in anyway.

Our one evening meal in the restaurant was a process rather than an occasion. This once grand room was dowdy and surrounded by windows that need a good clean or replacement units, some of them, one could barely see through. Used dinner plates were left on our table for far too long as we waited for our next course. Just as well we were not in a hurry. After a while we could not help noticing that staff had little interest or any affective guidance. Waiters had little experience and never even asked us if we wanted to try the (overpriced) wine beforehand.

Not one of our party formed the impression that this hotel or its staff, were trying to make our stay memorable, so that we would want to visit/stay again.

The Majestic Hotel as previously mentioned is in the centre of the town and I/we mistakenly took its position and status as an ambassador for the town. Sadly on this showing, for us, it let us down and ultimately their town.
Would I go to Harrogate again – yes most certainly.
Would I go back to the Majestic again – definitely not".

Room Tip: Not all the rooms in the hotel have been modernised so ask for one that has - otherwise you maybe ev...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mr Grimshaw,

Thank you for posting your review. I have reviewed your feedback form and can't see why it didn't move through onto the TA site. We never vet the forms as all feedback is helpful and subjective.

In your case you liked your room and the breakfast though found the public areas drab. I do appreciate your more detailed feedback and apologise that you did not receive our normal service standards as seen in other reviews.

London
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Such a faded hotel, poor rooms, jaded communal areas, standard hotel food (hard to tell beef from chicken from fish). Not keen on Harrogate generally but this hotel really didn't help endear the place to me. With any luck, I won't be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lexakit
Dear Lexakit,

Thank you for your review and saddened to hear that you didn't like Harrogate.

oxford
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have to commend the staff were unfailingly polite and often went beyond what was asked of them. A typical example being the breakfast waitress who saw me looking for a paper and went to get more from reception, having come back she noticed I was up getting my breakfast so asked where my table was and took the paper over. The first evening I had booked dinner for 16, we ended up being 20, there was no muttering or sighs - chairs and cutlery were quickly provided - late orders added and all with a smile.

1 Thank cdo001
Dear cdo001,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review.

The instances of great service were a joy to read and I'm proud of the staff who acted in such a professional and attentive manner.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel is in a good location to explore beautiful Harrogate, however, the room- even though very spacious, was very tired & in need of updating. The same can be said for the bathroom. Breakfast at an extra charge was good with plenty of choice. The ladies on reception are delightful & very helpful but we were disappointed that we had to pay an extra subsidy for parking.

Room Tip: There are building works going on outside the hotel. When booking a room ask to be accommodated on t...
1 Thank Janet B
Dear Janet B,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

I do hope that on your next visit that you will opt for one of our modern Premium rooms as I'm sure you would enjoy this.

It was pleasing to hear of your satisfaction with breakfast and the service provided by the Reception Team.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.