“If you look close enough you'll always find fault......”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 28 May 2014

...however I tend not to waste my time being that picky! This is a great hotel and yes maybe some of the decor needs updating but I'm not walking around with a magnifying glass.

We stayed for one night over the recent bank holiday weekend.

Fantastic location and it's a two minute walk to the centre. Our room was huge and the bathroom was separate to the room which I liked. The decor was perfectly acceptable and had everything that was required. The breakfast was lovely and had a large selection, and was served in a gorgeous dining room.

I didn't have a huge amount of interaction with the staff but anyone we spoke to was friendly and helpful.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

4  Thank fiona602
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear fiona602,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review and for your frankness.

I'm really happy that you liked the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,181)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

two nights bed and breakfast very good.problem at our room but sort right away by Matt.yes like alot of puma hotels does need abit of TLC.our new room was an upgrade very large and roomy.had dinner on the second night very good and looked after very well by Gary who had just joined the hotel.all and all a very good break.

Room Tip: never had a bad room but some are bigger than others
1  Thank Gordon C

Dear Gordon C,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

If very pleased to learn that this return visit was enjoyable and that Matt and Gary provided good service to you.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Really enjoyed stay and food ,room was very comfortable, the price we paid for deluxe room with a three course meal and breakfast was great value, harrogate is a lovely old spa town, and the majestic hotel fits that image perfectly, will definitely stay again

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Dexi H
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Dexi H,

Thank you so much for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

The town is indeed a truly lovely place to visit and many of our guests make regular journeys here to unwind and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

Harrogate was also voted the happiest place to live in the UK for the second year running and we are seeing ever greater enquiry levels for visits.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

While in a good location and especially convenient for the Harrogate International Centre, this is an outwardly impressive pile with good public areas. However, my room was dated and in need of refurbishment with frayed curtains and tired furniture - the sliding tray on which the kettle was precariously placed was a potential hazard. The staff I encountered were all polite, cheerful and willing to assist. Breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful.

Room Tip: Lower floors better as there are only two small lifts.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank denmarcjm

Dear denmarcjm,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. I'm sorry that you felt the traditional standard room provided was dated. On your next visit you should try one of our Premium or Deluxe rooms as these are more modern and likely more to your liking.

I am glad to see that all the staff you encountered were friendly, willing and eager to please and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I did wait until the last minute to get a booking and couldn't have afforded the full rate but the stay was excellent. I booked one room via the a popular internet site but they were snapped up in minutes and when I went to book a second room they had all gone. I phoned the hotel directly and still got a good deal for the second room though. I sometimes worry that late bookings would be given inferior service but not a bit of it. I wish we could have stayed for more than one night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank J L

Dear JL,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

We are all delighted to read of your enjoyment and pleased you were able to secure a good value rate to stay.

Of course, booking further in advance is invariably the suggested route to get our best rates and midweek stays offer the very best deals. Our website has the ability to look at the various rates available by day of the month so well worth a visit.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights at the end of a tour of the Lake District. This was the most expensive hotel of the trip and it turned out to be the worst. The staff on reception were not at all helpful, when asked if i needed help to the rooms i said yes please and was told to put all the bags on the trolley in the hall. The trolley was full of boxes and there was no one around so we just dragged, literally all our stuff to our room. The room was very tired and had mould on the ceiling and around the door to the balcony, which didn't look safe to go out on. When i asked for a cab to go into town as it was absolutely pouring i was directed to a telephone across the hall, even though there were two receptionist doing nothing. I would expect them to call me one from the desk. As it was there were no cabs available from the one company that the phone connected to and as we were running late we had to walk in the rain to our venue. The service at breakfast was awful and i had to wait 20 minutes to get a table. When i got to the buffet everything was swimming in fat and there were no eggs or sausages. I then had to wait for fresh supplies to arrive and by then my tea was cold. Overall I would never stay there again and certainly would not recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank deborah050

Dear Deborah050,

Thank you for your review and my apologies that you felt we did not provide the correct level of service to you.

There was no need for you to take your own luggage, this would have been brought up by our porter and the offer of assistance was genuine.

When pouring with rain in any town or city, then getting a taxi will always be difficult and our nominated provider operates three quarters of all the taxis in Harrogate. It is important to allow time for this when the weather is such.

Our buffet breakfast is constantly replenished and with 300 guests there are sometimes short delays at peak times. Other feedback would indicate that we usually provide a good quality and well presented breakfast and I'm sorry that your experience appears otherwise.

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

It saddens me that what could be a very nice hotel simply fails on many levels. Firstly our key cards failed and it took three trips to get a pair that worked. Then the porter's trolley was stacked high with office stationery and we ended carrying our luggage to the room. Not too serious but when we got to the room (216) it was really, really poor. Mould around the windows and on the cornice (see pics), peeling paint, a very old fashioned bathroom with with rust on some fittings and wired glass windows—it felt like a prison cell and on day two we had no bath mat either. No note pad and biro in the room was inconvenient as well.
We were there as part of a convention and I had to be in the convention centre by 10.00am, after waiting in a queue for breakfast for 20 minutes, I had to leave and grab a sandwich and cup of tea elsewhere. It was almost as though they weren't expecting anyone to turn up for breakfast, there were very few staff who were completely overwhelmed.
There is more that I could criticise but I won't bore you with it. My wife and I paid £125 per night for this hotel at the end of a weeks touring. It was by far the most expensive and by far the poorest accommodation we found. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dyrck,

I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your recent stay to attend the Barbershops convention in the Harrogate Centre over the Whitsun Bank Holiday weekend.

We are a heritage property and I accept that if you look closely then there will be elements that can be highlighted as imperfect. Your keycards weren't being used properly and our Head Porter got in first time with them.

At breakfast we were hosting 300 breakfasts and if 200 people all walk down almost together then there will be a bottleneck. We learnt from the first morning and the Sunday was faster with more large tables available.

I'm sorry that you were so unhappy and didn't report it as we would have welcomed the chance to change your room.