“Premium or not premium that is the question.”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked the hotel for a romantic overnight getaway and thought we would splash out on a premium room (costing 149 of our lovely British pounds for room only). On the website it was very clearly stated that we should expect a large room with bathrobes, slippers and mineral water. The reaction on entering our room to find none of the expected 'extras' and a shockingly basic room was somewhat disappointing. I called down to reception and they thought that the robes had been "overlooked' and would send them up immediately. How can an item that is supplied on a daily basis in a premium room be forgotten about? After dinner we spoke to one of the receptionists to say how disappointed we were with the room considering how much we had paid. The receptionist was fantastic and offered us a free breakfast and free parking as compensation as it was too late to change rooms. Great way to diffuse the situation however she also told us that she was new at the Majestic and I find it odd that she is allowed to give away that amount of compensation without having to speak with a duty manager first. Both myself and my husband have been left now with the suspicious feeling that maybe we were not given a premium room despite being charged for one.

1  Thank DisneyDowner
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear DisneyDowner,

Thank you for posting your review and my apologies that you were disappointed with the room provided. It is possible for these items to have been forgotten as they are all removed when a room departs so I can understand this happening.

I'm really proud of our Receptionist who took control and resolved the situation which is absolutely the training she has been given. We want quick solutions and this seems to have been wholly appropriate.

When you next stay do let me know and I will ensure you receive the best room available within the room category you have booked.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary on Saturday 31st May. Couldn't of asked for anything better. The staff were amazing, food exceptional. Received a free upgrade and champagne & chocolates in our room. Will definitely be staying here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Sarah S

Dear Sarah S,

Thank you for your 5 star rating and for spending your anniversary with us.

Until next year, kind regards, Vince

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Have visited the hotel several times for functioning but never stayed there as it always looked rather dated. Stayed for one night and was pleasantly surprised.. with the exception of the receptionist the service was very good. Rooms were large, clean and furnished to a high standard.and the overall feel of the hotel is grand .the gym and pool area compact but week equipped. Disappointed in the spa room's.despite several calls from my room never once got a person to answer the phone only a recorded message.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dawnes7560

Dear Dawnes7560,

Thank you forposting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

I'm very pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and hope you'll visit again.

Our beauty salon, the Orchid Rooms does get really busy and I'm sorry that we couldn;t fit you in. We always advise trying the arrange treatments prior to arrival and the salon's email is majestic.beauty@pumahotels.co.uk

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the Majestic for one night. I had booked a single room with breakfast and an evening meal, however on reaching the hotel I was told that they only had me down for the room, although the price was still as though the meals were included. Although this was quickly resolved someone needs to check the booking system. Despite the above problems, I had no problems with the staff, they seemed generally helpful and friendly.

The room and bathroom were nicely decorated and laid out, although I expected alittle more on the welcome tray for the money. There was however a decent size TV and the bed was very comfortable.

Although the room seemed generally clean, the bathroom could probably do with a little more attention. The rubber around the top of the bath had started to go mouldy, the overflow drain had started to rust and although the bath was clean the surface seemed to have come off the floor of the tub making it appear unclean. Again for the money, you don't expect these issues.

The evening meal was very good. I can't fault the food or the restaurant staff, who very helpful and friendly. The food was delicious and there was a nice selection. The Thai Fish Cakes with sauce and the Chocolate Tart and icecream were particularily nice. However, although the table was clean, the carpet could desperately have done with a good hoover!

The Breakfast was also very good. Athough, there was another mix up with the booking as they still didn't have me down on the breakfast included list. However, this was quickly resolved.

All in all my stay was fine. The restaurant and its staff are the biggest credit to the Majestic, and if my review was only based on this area I would say it was very good. Organisation (particularily concerning bookings) and staff knowledge could be better. I have stayed at less expensive hotels which could not be faulted at all. I think it should be remembered how much people are paying to stay here and the expectations they have from the Hotel's historic reputation.

Room Tip: Make sure you take a print out of your booking confirmation with you, especially if you have added e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Zena229

Dear Zena229,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

I'm very sorry that there was some confusion over your booking terms though glad to hear that our team resolved this and that your stay itself was enjoyable.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I had heard that the Majestic was a wonderful old hotel in Harrogate so I booked it for a weekend away with my sister. The reception we received on arrival was cold and not friendly at all. The room was disappointing you could not lie on the beds as the moved all the time. I have to say the staff in the restaurant was really nice and helpful and the food very tasty. I was just a shame it was marred by unfriendly staff

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank gillytam
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear gillytam,

I'm very sorry that you felt our reception team to be unfriendly. That is very different from most feedback we receive or the interactions which i see daily. Certainly they would not intend to be less than warm and welcoming and we have a nice team of people.

I'm not sure if there was an underlying issue such as an early check in and the room not ready or similar and that this influenced your feelings.

All our bedrooms are carpeted and the beds sit on normal castors. I've not heard of beds that move around but please do let me know the room number and I'll check for the issue.

On a positive note I'm glad that you enjoyed your meals and the restaurant team.

Many thanks, Vince v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A great hotel, with spacious rooms, wow a definite must go again.
Large well presented double rooms with everything you needs including towelling robe and slippers. Spa bath including in the room and the locality fantastic.
Went to the BBC food show spring show the first time for Harrogate and it was a two minute walk away,at the bottom of the perfect gardens. Then in the evening the large restaurant is a must, food great and very relaxed, rolled by drinks in the bar. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne R

Dear Anne R,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel.

So pleased that you chose to stay with us when visiting the Good Food Show. This proved very popular and we're hoping the show will return next year.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

...however I tend not to waste my time being that picky! This is a great hotel and yes maybe some of the decor needs updating but I'm not walking around with a magnifying glass.

We stayed for one night over the recent bank holiday weekend.

Fantastic location and it's a two minute walk to the centre. Our room was huge and the bathroom was separate to the room which I liked. The decor was perfectly acceptable and had everything that was required. The breakfast was lovely and had a large selection, and was served in a gorgeous dining room.

I didn't have a huge amount of interaction with the staff but anyone we spoke to was friendly and helpful.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

4  Thank fiona602

Dear fiona602,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review and for your frankness.

I'm really happy that you liked the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.