“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We found this hotel by looking at trip advisor and the reviews were spot on. Only stayed for one night, but couldn't fault anything. The room was comfortable and well furnished. Breakfast was lovely and quickly served. The location couldn't be better.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed recently and cannot fault the quality of service food and comfort of this hotel. Also within walking distance of harrogate town centre, it suited our needs so well. Thank you, we will be back!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I booked 2 double rooms at the Ascot House Hotel in early November for a 2 day trip to Harrogate. I had read all the reviews on Trip Advisor and spoke to a gentleman I presumed was the owner. He was very courteous and as the double rooms were for 2 single people slightly reduced the cost without having to be asked. I felt very confident about my choice and the locality which seemed perfect. I was looking forward to taking my Mother on a visit to Harrogate.

What can I say... I was shown to room 16 which appeared fine. My Mother was shown to room 7 which quite frankly stunk of cat pee. My Mother staright away said she could not stay there and was shown to room 3. The gentleman refuted any claim of animal odour and said no animals were allowed however I subsequently read in the information book that at an extra cost animals can stay in certain rooms. Unfortunately I had not read this on the internet or was not advised of it when I booked. I have no problem with animals it is just the lingering scent of urine I find a tad unpleasant in a hotel.

The next thing I reported was that I found the pillows in my room smelled of stale sweat, enough to disrupt my night sleep. The bed linen was clean, the room was clean but the pillows really should have been destroyed and replaced. I spoke to the housekeeper after the first night but the pillows were either not changed or replaced with even more disgusting pillows for my second night.

So, apart from a smell of cat pee in room 7 and stale unpleasant pillows in room 16, the stay was ok. The best thing about the place is breakfast with a charming host. However, I could not possibly stay there again as the thought of where I rested my head at night makes me positively nauseous..

Room Tip: Find out which rooms animals can stay in at an extra cost and avoid.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank George1096
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

Decided on a visit to Harrogate and an overnight stay, checked Trip Advisor and found the Ascot House. What a great recommendation. Our welcome was warm and we were quickly booked in and directed to our room. We were located at the rear of the hotel, but the benefit was that the room was nice and quiet. The room was a good size with an enormous double bed (which was comfortable), nicely furnished and very clean. The bathroom, while on the small size, was more than adequate with excellent facilities. And the water was red hot!

We decided to eat in the restaurant and that was also a good choice. While there were only two other couples in the restaurant, which was a shame, the food was really very good, nicely presented and extremely enjoyable.The service, by a nice young lady, was polite and efficient.

Breakfast the next morning was a treat. A choice of buffet or hot. The full English was superb, The bacon and sausage were excellent. On checking out the pleasant and polite approach by the staff continued and we were courtesly bid farewell. The Ascot House Hotel was a great choice and was great value for money. Would recommend.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

A very clean and comfortable hotel within short walk of Harrogate town centre. I do not like UHT milk that so many hotels provide with the 'in room' tea tray, but this was not a problem as I was brought a jug of fresh milk - super service. I only stayed one night as I was en route, but would love to spend a long weekend there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank minder9
Barrow in Furness, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Stayed on Friday 16th November and for the price, was excellent value for money. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a very warm welcome. The room was excellent, well equipped, warm and inviting and also very quiet. Breakfast was very good, and again, the staff were efficient and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Ascot house is a Jewel and we will definitely return.

1 Thank Karl W
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Just returned from two nights at Ascot House after spending three nights there in August,once again the service,food,cleanliness was top notch.If you book in for b&b be sure to have dinner there as well,the food is delicious.Also the best nights sleep on a lovely comfortable bed.If in Harrogate give the Ascot a try,you will not regret it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 in August and 19 in November both were clean and very comfortable.
1 Thank Morag E