“Wonderful hotel and very friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Studley Hotel and Orchid Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hotel and very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

Was my third time and third year at the hotel and this time I invited my wife to join me. This place is a gem. The rooms I have been in have always been clean and well decorated. The hotel has consistently improved its public areas, rooms, facilities and I find it a very refreshing place to stay compared to most hotels. The high speed wifi excellent is a great bonus.
The Orchid is a must, the food is excellent and even as a solo traveler I am always made to feel welcome. Keep up the good work.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

The Studley is very conveniently located in Harrogate with the Convention Centre, bars and restaurants and shops all within a few minutes walk.

However the executive room was a little bit drab , could have done with a little improvement on the decor, the bed was comfortable though. With only maybe 3 rooms occupied on the night we stayed I am curious as to why we had the smallest of the executive rooms?

On a disturbing note I was resting on the bed when a man opened the door and walked into my room, with some story about measuring for carpets!! Obviously a mistake by management who gave him keys to access the rooms but this should not have happened under any circumstances.

There is a nice little bar area and Asian restaurant downstairs and the breakfast was very good.

Leeds, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

Wow... what a lovely hotel.
My boyfriend and I had a late booking on this hotel. We were lucky enough to get a cancellation at the last minute, otherwise this hotel would have been booked up! Which obv tells you a lot about the hotel before you have even visited.
We paid £160 + VAT for an Orchid Room and we were extremely happy with this. The room is reasonably sized with a HUGE bed (XL King I think!) We had paid for champagne on arrival and this was with us as we entered the room, on ice!!
The accommodation was spotless. It also featured a white Samsung state of the art TV with Apple Mac computer integrated as well as a Ipod docking station. We took advantage of all the appliances. We were also impressed with the walk in wardrobe with sensored lighting (the little things and finished touches were spot on)

The staff at The Studley were superb. They couldnt do enough for you... Especially Jordan and Rafael. They delivered 100% customer service.

We were lucky enough to book into the Orchid Restaurant (recommend you book this in advance) which we would HIGHLY recommend. The food is amazing and fresh... however, we did feel slightly rushed. But I suppose this is due to popularity within Harrogate.

The Hotel is in fantastic walking location from the main town centre (Betty's, Turkish Baths etc)

We would definately recommend this hotel - definately worth the money!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

I was in two minds about whether to 'review' this hotel as we ended up staying somewhere else in Harrogate. However, the booking of a hotel is an intrinsic part of the whole experience and we had selected the hotel on the basis of its TripAdvisor ratings, it seems appropriate and correct, therefore, that we submit this partial review.

So let me be clear that we have not stayed at this hotel. However, we did book a room here and were looking forward to staying. On making the booking I asked for it to be confirmed by email as the person I spoke to appeared a little confused over both the dates I was booking and the rates. I booked a 3 night for the price of 2 deal for their most expensive room. I had seen on their website that the 3 for 2 offer was available for the first 2 nights of our stay, so had specifically asked whether it would apply to our booking and it was confirmed that it would.

The following evening I received a phone call from the hotel asking for my credit card details to confirm the booking. I said that I would very happily provide my card details if they would send me the promised email with all the booking details first.

The next day I had still not received an email with details of my booking so emailed the hotel. The response stated that the 3 for 2 offer was not available on our dates but confirming that they did have availability at full price. I pointed out that I had already booked the room on the 3 for 2 basis and asked them to consider honouring that booking. After no reply a few hours later I decided to find somewhere else to stay so emailed to say so.

I received a call from the management apologising for the confusion and offering us a complementary drink in the hotel bar. While we appreciate that gesture, the appropriate response would have been to honour the original 3 nights for the price of 2 offer.

We rebooked at the Ascot House Hotel where it was simple to make the booking by phone, where the booking was confirmed promptly by email and we received a warm welcome and had an enjoyable stay. Perhaps the same would have applied to this hotel on a different day or a different week. I don't know. All we can do is to relate our experiences.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMStudleyHotel, General Manager at Studley Hotel and Orchid Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. We have since discussed the problem about the offer.

At the time we did apologise and communicated the problem immediately once we had realised there was an error made. We had called you on several occasions that morning after we had promptly replied to your emails, though the phone was constantly engaged. Probably, this was the time at which point you had made calls to another hotel. When we finally reached you, we were not given a chance to speak to you about the situation, as you then told us you had already booked elsewhere. We then understood that we were not able to rectify the situation and our only other choice was to apologise again and offer you complimentary drinks in the hotel bar. The Front Office manager was ready to discuss the matter with you but as you stated, you did not want to come.

We are only sorry that you were so angry about it and that we were not able to rectify it that morning. I can assure you that we strive to ensure that all guests are given our full attention and that the quality and standard of our food and operation is always at the fore of our minds. In view of this, we will be mindful of such situations going forward.
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

We spent one night at the Studley Hotel. The room was clean and new, had free wifi. Breakfast was very good, a really nice value place to stay-thats why i think its so popular. We didnt get to have dinner in the Orchid restaurant. Do hope to return to do so in the future.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

We stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights whilst attending a wedding elsewhere in Harrogate although we also spent some time looking around the town.

It was an first - class experience with helpful and courteous staff in both the Hotel and Restaurant . We had a superb room (we were given a free upgrade from a standard double to an Orchid Superior - with a Monsoon shower and walk in wardrobe being just two of the major facilities).

We ate in the Orchid Restaurant on the Saturday evening and whilst it was not an inexpensive meal (the table d'hote style meals are restricted to parties of 4 or more - presumably due to the "Pacific Rim" style dishes) we, nevertheless, considered it was excellent value.

It is close to the Valley Gardens and within walking distance of the town centre - we walked from & to the Railway Station with wheeled-cases in around 12 minutes - and yet the area is not noisy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

10 of us stayed here for my sister s 40th Birthday last weekend (24-26th September) While making the reservations the reception staff were extremely helpful especially when we had a number of alterations to our original booking.

On arrival I was very impressed with the staff and the décor. We stayed in an executive twin room that was lovely with a very impressive bathroom. We ate in the Orchid Restaurant on the Friday night and it was a fantastic meal I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Breakfast both days was great, Served quickly with lakes of tea and coffee.

The hotel is situated 5 minutes away from Betty’s and the main shopping area.

All of our party loved the hotel and we are thinking of an excuse to come back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends