“Great Harrogate Hotel, excellent restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Studley Hotel and Orchid Restaurant

Studley Hotel and Orchid Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
London
“Great Harrogate Hotel, excellent restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

This is a fab hotel. The restaurant is brilliant, staff friendly and it's right in the middle of the best of Harrogate. The rooms are a little on the bland side (trying to be a bit like Hotel du Vin but not quite pulling it off), but still far superior to most other hotels. The only downside was our view of the car park from our room. Other than that, a lovely stay. Oh, the Orchid restaurant in the hotel is amazing!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

We booked this hotel for a birthday treat after reading the great reviews on here. We booked the 1 night getaway package which included £20 to spend in the restaurant and a welcome drink each. We arrived at the hotel at about midday to find there was no parking available in the car park or on the road outside the hotel. I went to reception to ask if they knew of anywhere else we could park and found the lady receptionist to be very rude, she said that she knew of no-where and we would just have to wait for a space on the road and she could not help and the hotel don’t have to provide parking. She also said we definitely could not check-in until at least 3pm and would have to come back then, she never offered for us to leave our bags. I found her attitude extremely rude and it created a bad first impression of the hotel.
When we went back to the hotel there was a gentleman on reception who was very helpful and showed us to our room. We had booked an executive room as the suites had showers not baths and we like a bath. I was disappointed in the room it looked tired, the duvet didn’t fit the bed and there was a damp patch on the ceiling. The bathroom was nice with a corner bath but the bedroom didn’t feel special like I would expect from a boutique hotel.
The lounge, bar and restaurant in the hotel were lovely and decorated really nicely and I can’t speak highly enough of the service in both the bar and restaurant. The Orchid restaurant is amazing, some of the best food we have had and the service was fantastic.
Breakfast in the morning we found to be disappointing, not much choice if you wanted continental and our cooked breakfast was very over cooked.
All in all I would say that we would definitely go back to the Orchid restaurant as it was fantastic but I would probably stay at another hotel as I found the rooms at the Studley to be disappointing for the price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

This is a lovely hotel, with helpful and friendly staff.

Our room wasn’t quite ready when we arrived, so we were invited to sit in the bar area where we were provided with complimentary drinks.

We stayed in room 36, which had a view of the Royal Pump Rooms at the end of the road. The room was spacious and well appointed. It was very clean and comfortable. You had the usual tea/coffee making facilities, together with an ironing station and trouser press. The only slight criticisms that we had were the panelling around the bath was in need of repair/replacement and the lighting in the bathroom was very dim.

The hotel does not have its own fitness centre but guests do have access to a nearby hotel's facilities free of charge. We made use of the hotel's free WiFi.

The hotel is in an excellent position, with car parking at the back, and the town centre is within a few minutes walking distance.

We paid for the dinner option at the Orchid Restaurant within the hotel. The food was excellent and beautifully presented. There is a wonderful choice of dishes and you cannot fail to find something that you like. There was a nice atmosphere in the restaurant and the staff were helpful and attentive. Would definitely recommend you try the Orchid.

The cooked breakfast was excellent and freshly cooked. If you didn’t want the full English there were plenty of other options available.

We had a fantastic couple of nights at the Studley and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

Was my third time and third year at the hotel and this time I invited my wife to join me. This place is a gem. The rooms I have been in have always been clean and well decorated. The hotel has consistently improved its public areas, rooms, facilities and I find it a very refreshing place to stay compared to most hotels. The high speed wifi excellent is a great bonus.
The Orchid is a must, the food is excellent and even as a solo traveler I am always made to feel welcome. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

The Studley is very conveniently located in Harrogate with the Convention Centre, bars and restaurants and shops all within a few minutes walk.

However the executive room was a little bit drab , could have done with a little improvement on the decor, the bed was comfortable though. With only maybe 3 rooms occupied on the night we stayed I am curious as to why we had the smallest of the executive rooms?

On a disturbing note I was resting on the bed when a man opened the door and walked into my room, with some story about measuring for carpets!! Obviously a mistake by management who gave him keys to access the rooms but this should not have happened under any circumstances.

There is a nice little bar area and Asian restaurant downstairs and the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Leeds, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

Wow... what a lovely hotel.
My boyfriend and I had a late booking on this hotel. We were lucky enough to get a cancellation at the last minute, otherwise this hotel would have been booked up! Which obv tells you a lot about the hotel before you have even visited.
We paid £160 + VAT for an Orchid Room and we were extremely happy with this. The room is reasonably sized with a HUGE bed (XL King I think!) We had paid for champagne on arrival and this was with us as we entered the room, on ice!!
The accommodation was spotless. It also featured a white Samsung state of the art TV with Apple Mac computer integrated as well as a Ipod docking station. We took advantage of all the appliances. We were also impressed with the walk in wardrobe with sensored lighting (the little things and finished touches were spot on)

The staff at The Studley were superb. They couldnt do enough for you... Especially Jordan and Rafael. They delivered 100% customer service.

We were lucky enough to book into the Orchid Restaurant (recommend you book this in advance) which we would HIGHLY recommend. The food is amazing and fresh... however, we did feel slightly rushed. But I suppose this is due to popularity within Harrogate.

The Hotel is in fantastic walking location from the main town centre (Betty's, Turkish Baths etc)

We would definately recommend this hotel - definately worth the money!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

I was in two minds about whether to 'review' this hotel as we ended up staying somewhere else in Harrogate. However, the booking of a hotel is an intrinsic part of the whole experience and we had selected the hotel on the basis of its TripAdvisor ratings, it seems appropriate and correct, therefore, that we submit this partial review.

So let me be clear that we have not stayed at this hotel. However, we did book a room here and were looking forward to staying. On making the booking I asked for it to be confirmed by email as the person I spoke to appeared a little confused over both the dates I was booking and the rates. I booked a 3 night for the price of 2 deal for their most expensive room. I had seen on their website that the 3 for 2 offer was available for the first 2 nights of our stay, so had specifically asked whether it would apply to our booking and it was confirmed that it would.

The following evening I received a phone call from the hotel asking for my credit card details to confirm the booking. I said that I would very happily provide my card details if they would send me the promised email with all the booking details first.

The next day I had still not received an email with details of my booking so emailed the hotel. The response stated that the 3 for 2 offer was not available on our dates but confirming that they did have availability at full price. I pointed out that I had already booked the room on the 3 for 2 basis and asked them to consider honouring that booking. After no reply a few hours later I decided to find somewhere else to stay so emailed to say so.

I received a call from the management apologising for the confusion and offering us a complementary drink in the hotel bar. While we appreciate that gesture, the appropriate response would have been to honour the original 3 nights for the price of 2 offer.

We rebooked at the Ascot House Hotel where it was simple to make the booking by phone, where the booking was confirmed promptly by email and we received a warm welcome and had an enjoyable stay. Perhaps the same would have applied to this hotel on a different day or a different week. I don't know. All we can do is to relate our experiences.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMStudleyHotel, General Manager at Studley Hotel and Orchid Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. We have since discussed the problem about the offer.

At the time we did apologise and communicated the problem immediately once we had realised there was an error made. We had called you on several occasions that morning after we had promptly replied to your emails, though the phone was constantly engaged. Probably, this was the time at which point you had made calls to another hotel. When we finally reached you, we were not given a chance to speak to you about the situation, as you then told us you had already booked elsewhere. We then understood that we were not able to rectify the situation and our only other choice was to apologise again and offer you complimentary drinks in the hotel bar. The Front Office manager was ready to discuss the matter with you but as you stated, you did not want to come.

We are only sorry that you were so angry about it and that we were not able to rectify it that morning. I can assure you that we strive to ensure that all guests are given our full attention and that the quality and standard of our food and operation is always at the fore of our minds. In view of this, we will be mindful of such situations going forward.