“Desperately needs aircon” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
“Desperately needs aircon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Position is excellent and couldn't fault staff or public areas but this hotel desperately needs aircon in rooms. Tried sleeping with window open but we had to close the window as our room at the back of of the hotel above the car park was really noisy because of the extractor fans below. Put the fan on, but also too noisy. Most modern 4star business hotels have aircon or a central air cooling system these days. It surprises me when the manager says that's not the case in Yorkshire in a previous review. We were in Harrogate for the Gilbert and Sullivan festival and there were plenty of Americans around who were definitely not happy. Hotel itself is fine but at the end of the day a hotel is somewhere to sleep and if you can't do this then it misses it's primary objective! Please don't bury your heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't need it. Every review I've read recently says rooms " too hot and uncomfortable" . Charge another tenner a night and give us a good nights sleep.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Xavs67
HolidayInnHarrogate, General Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. The Team and I are pleased you found the hotel's location and service to be excellent. I do appreciate your comments concerning the air conditioning and apologise that the warm weather caused you discomfort during your visit. The fact that most other Harrogate hotels do not have any air conditioning either is a good indication that it is not usually required in our part of the world. But I do understand that in this warmer than usual summer we are experiencing, air conditioning would be preferred by some our our Guests. Others as you will read from other reviews below are not of the same opinion and have a "Great Overnight" and "deep comfortable sleep", which would support my reasoning.

Nevertheless, I respect your observations and once again apologise that the recent warmer climate caused you discomfort.

Nicolas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Devizes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here on 1st August for one night whilst on business. Easy to find, check in was quick and easy- I remember a young lady behind the desk with 'in training' on her name badge and she was doing very well.

Room was nice- I was on the 10th floor (which I requested) had a very nice view, nice amenities (soft dressing gown and slippers), huge bed (however it is two singles put together so you can tell that int he middle, it's got blackout curtains (which I love) and is clean.

We did felt a bit let down by the service at the 701 restaurant. The staff were polite- however need a bit more training. We asked for some drinks and they came a tedious wait later, just adding the bill to our room took about 10 minutes and it would be nice that if they gave us a new glass to take the empty ones away (the table was getting a bit crowded). My and my colleague were quite disappoint in this, also the menu has seemed to of got smaller, and my 'medium' stake was a bit raw.

Bar was good, drinks were normal price for a hotel- we had good time.

Breakfast was okays- I've had a lot better (and worse). I like the easy and simple, sit down and help yourself- quite convenient was we were in a rush (my colleague slept in!). But again the service (probably due to lack of training) could have been better. And the section where you can help yourself to cold drinks would have been nice if they were regularly changed rather than having floaters in them. Finally for breakfast the small glasses could have been bigger....a lot bigger.

Check out was good. Initially there was a bit of confusion on the hotel's behalf about our corporate allowance- however the gentleman was very quick and professional about getting it resolved.

Would stay here again, but it would be nice to have an improvement on the service.

Room Tip: Higher floors give more of a view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank harryj0nes
HolidayInnHarrogate, General Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your four-star review, as well as your constructive feedback. We have ongoing training plans in place aimed at continuously improving service where needed and your observations really assist in this process, which we appreciate. These will be discussed with the Team this morning. I am sorry you found certain aspects of the service to be lacking but am glad that your stay overall was a pleasant one.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We had a comfortable and satisfying stay at the Holiday Inn Harrogate, conveniently located just walking distance from most of the lovely restaurants and bars that Harrogate has to offer. Admittedly we booked here because of limited availability with some of the high TripAdvisor rated B&Bs, but this didn't stop us enjoying our stay in Harrogate - we knew what to expect, and this was delivered - no grumbles.

The Holiday Inn Harrogate benefits from an underground secure carpark, which costs £7 for 24hrs. Upon arrival, the hotel front desk staff were very polite and accommodating, helping me with directions to some local attractions - all very positive, a good start. In fact, the staff throughout our stay were standout, giving friendly, helpful and good service.

On the seventh floor, we had a good sized room with typical amenities. The cleanliness of the room could perhaps be a little better and was a little disappointing, some elements of the room a little dusty in places and some marks / cobwebs could be seen in the corners of the ceiling. That said, the room was comfortable, including the bed which resulted in a very cozy and relaxed night sleep.

A number of hotels and guest houses now offer WiFi as standard, and whilst 3G coverage seems good in the absence of a complimentary WiFi service, it does seem a bit antiquated that the Holiday Inn doesn't extend this service to guests free of charge. The paid WiFi option was also ridiculously expensive, £5 for 60 minutes..! Not a show stopper, but worth a mention given WiFi is becoming increasingly important to guests.

For a comfortable no-frills stay, the Holiday Inn isn't a bad shout; you'll get a good night sleep and the central location is super convenient for exploring what Harrogate has to offer. However, one of the better rated bed and breakfasts in the area may feel a bit more homely and be more appropriate if you're on a leisure visit to Harrogate - and may also offer complimentary WiFi. We'd first try and book a B&B if back in the area, especially if it was a little cheaper, but wouldn't have any qualms using this hotel as a secondary option. Comfortable, reliable and consistent.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank SnappySnapsSJ
Comfortable, reliable and consistent is part of our Brand Promise and I am pleased to read that this is what you received. Thank you for your feedback, both positive and constructive. We do offer complimentary WIFI to all our IHG Rewards loyalty Members which is free to join, but I am sorry if this was not explained to you during your visit and that the notices on the front desk may not have been clear enough. Thank you once more and we look forward to welcoming you back to Harrogate soon, even if we would only be your second choice.

North Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed for 4 nights whilst on a group trip. The bedroom was sufficient for my needs and was very clean but tired looking & awfully hot as no air conditioning, a fan is not enough in hot weather. The staff were mainly helpful and pleasant except 1 guy on reception who suggested there was no remedy to my keycard not working when there was an electric outage. Eventually and after insisting found there was a staff member with a pass card. What was I expected to do wander the corridors until the electric restored?
Restaurant just about OK apart from the tough beef and slow service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Toadqueen
HolidayInnHarrogate, General Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry if your stay was affected by both the heatwave and the powercut. These are both unusual circumstances that unfortunately is beyond our control. I am pleased to read that you found the Staff on a whole to be friendly, and hope you enjoyed your site seeing with the tour whilst you were out and about in Yorkshire.

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed for 5 nights whilst on a business trip. Disappointed to find hotel had not been updated since my stay last year. The whole is beginning to look out of date and tired. Bedroom was sufficient for my needs and was very clean but again very tired looking. Bedroom also very hot as no air conditioning, a fan is not sufficient or satisfactory. Wi fi very expensive. On the plus side the staff I came into contact with were very efficient, helpful and pleasant, especially those on reception. Cannot comment on restaurant or bar as chose to eat elsewhere in more congenial surroundings in the town. Great location for business event I was attending, also for the town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank jog624
Many thanks for your feedback. It is pleasing to read that you found the Team helpful and friendly during your visit and that our location and facilities were suitable for your needs. I am sure every hotel manager would love to refurbish their hotels once a year, but unfortunately that is not possible. I do however understand that some areas may not be to everyone's personal tastes but assure you that the Team and I always look for opportunities to improve the facilities where possible.

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel having pre-booked and we were told before arriving on the morning they were having an electricity issue due to a water problem that had tripped the power.
Upon arriving (like all the other guests) we were promptly offered alternative accommodation we initially agreed but then decided otherwise and stayed.
The check-in with May was fast, efficient, professional and very friendly (can't fault a thing!!) she very consciously handed my small daughter a torch as she said it may be abit dark so mummy and daddy will need you to show them the way :) this obviously made my daughter feel much more at ease....upon inspecting our room we had noticed we'd been upgraded and our room was huge 618-620 which i rang down and thanked them for :)
The food was only cold choice so they offered to order us a take-away!! ..we thanked them but decided to go out and explore instead and eat out and upon returning the hotel manager Nicolas stopped me and asked if everything was ok...I said this was something the children will never forget which is the whole point of going away from the normal routine, he asked if we'd eaten and i said we had just and he offered to buy the whole family deserts ...yum!!...
We were left fresh cold bottled water outside our room and there was water in the rooms also.
I am a very seasoned traveller and I am a IHG Rewards member so I can say I've stayed in some nice hotels but this was a hotel and service myself or my family will ever forget .............Thanks Holiday Inn Harrogate 5 stars from me and my family and we will definitely be returning! x

Room Tip: smile at the receptionists and be as courteous as possible you may get an upgrade :) ;)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo G
As you can imagine and probably have read we have faced many Guests who were less than happy about the power cut experienced last Friday. Meeting you and your family in the lobby that evening and reading your review now makes me appreciate that all people are different and a person's experiences are often determined by how he or she decides to approach them. Thank you for your breath of fresh air and I am really pleased to read you enjoyed the desserts (and that your daughter didn't shine the torch in your eyes whilst you were trying to sleep!).

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel with the lights on!

Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Nothing was to much trouble. Polite even when the 8 of us where being really awkward. Wanted to make our stay comfortable and fun. Brilliant. Opened up the restaurant early because of a meeting we had. Treated the kids like stars. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank stephenwillett63
Often, the most awkward Guests are the most fun which makes our job a real pleasure. Thank you for your kind review, which will delight the Team when I share it with them. Our Brand Promise is to provide a comfortable experience and I am pleased to see that this is what you received. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.