“Good hotel - AMAZING breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Good hotel - AMAZING breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Myself and a group of friends stayed here for a quiet hen party.
We found the location to be brilliant.
Bed was comfortable. Only problem I had with the room was the lack of plugs. There wasn't one close to the bed so had to plug in my alarm and phone over the other side of the room. Still at least it got me out of bed in the morning.
The room sizes seemed to vary largely - I probably had the short straw in terms of room size as my friends had big rooms with possibly the biggest bathrooms I have ever seen. But both my bedroom and bathroom were small but adequate (about the size of a typical Travelodge room). Although I was the only one in my group not to have an ironing board in their room, I got an ironing board delivered to my room upon my second request.
Didnt have the best sleep as the person in the room upstairs came in at about 2am and then stomped around for a while and had their TV on loudly all night. But that's not the fault of the hotel.
Free wifi.
Highlight of my stay though was the breakfast - the breakfast room is very impressive. I think I actually gasped with amazement when I walked in. Good breakfast service. The choice of food and drinks was probably one of the best I have ever seen and I would return to this hotel for the breakfast alone, but only if I could get a deal on the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear Wheretwonext1979

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the hotel, especially the breakfast!!, which is very well received from all of our other guests.
My apologies for getting the short straw in term of room sizes because we are an old hotel all of our rooms are different sizes, should you wish to come and stay again, please let me know and we will make sure that you are allocated a larger room.
Once againg many thanks for taking the time to write this review, look forward to welcoming you back in the near futre.
kind regards

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Lancaster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

Stayed here for a family wedding. Lovely hotel, handy locations, lots of character and great price. The wedding service room was beautiful with bags of atmosphere. As it was a Christmas wedding the decorations added to the warm inviting atmosphere. Service good.

The rooms were quite large however ours was above the night do room so very noisy. This was okay for us as we were up late and part of the party but if you are not it might be worth requesting a quieter room. That was my only concern.

Great locations with Betty's just up the road :-)

Room Tip: Pick a quiet room if not part of the event taking place
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear l_heart_travel_22

many thanks for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, i am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding at the hotel, as you rightly pointed out rooms directly above the function can be noisy this is why we allocate guests attending the functions over them.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Crown Hotel in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed at the Crown Hotel in November 2012 for a 3 day conference with Wounds UK. Very central location, comfortable room, very friendly staff on reception. Some of the rooms are a little tired and could do with updating but on the whole enjoyed my stay.Self service breakfast with good selection.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear Linda R

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel whilst here for the conference, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back for a leisure stay in the near future.

Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

My husband and I stayed for 1 Friday this November. We had a lovely stay, only good things to report about the hotel. Every member of staff we came across was really helpful. We had lunch on Friday and breakfast on Saturday, both excellent quality and value. The bar was busy on Friday night when we arrived back from eating out - which gave it a good atmosphere for sitting and chatting with friends. Our room was large, clean and comfortable. The hotel is a stunning building and well-maintained. We are breakfast in the sumptuous surroundings of a huge ballroom. Location is great as well, a two minute walk to the main shops.
I'll definitely stay again and recommend The Crown to other.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear JennyDHuddersfield

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, Im Thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and, I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards

Nottinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Hotel. The reception staff were very friendly and very efficient booking us in. They sold the place well so we booked Dinner in the Restaurant straight away. The room was at the back with only other parts of the building to look at but this would probably be better than the front as the hotel is so central that I suspect there would likely be a degree of noise. As with a lot of old hotels with central heating the boards were a bit noisy so it could put some people off. For me it was no problem even though I am a light sleeper. The restaurant was quite good but they had a problem with the sherry trifle. They forgot the sherry and the sponge. I asked the restaurant manager what would be in a sherry trifle and he advised both of these things so he went to tell the chef. When he came back he said the chef would destroy all the trifles and make a new batch. Regrettably I saw at least 5 served before me and I saw no comments being made. Why not! We really enjoyed Harrogate and would stay there again even though when we came to pay we found the bottle of wine from another table had been charged to us. The restaurant manager new immediately who it should have been charged to. Glad I noticed as it would have been more difficult to get charge removed after I had paid.

Room Tip: If you are drinking late it will not matter where but if not choose the back but don't expect a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Hotelman
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, im pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, please accept my apologies re The Sherry Trifle!!! they chef has been informed!! we look forward to welcoming you back to The Crown again.

Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Ok a bit of a tricky one first the bad points - 1/ car parking is limited, they do have places behind the hotel though, and we found one on a Saturday afternoon.
2/ stayed just Saturday night, the hotel is in a central position and it can be noisy outside due to pubs/clubs late at night, I suspect it is a listed building and cannot install double glazing.
3/ stayed on a DBB deal - service could have been better especially around the evening meal time.
Good points - 1/ Great central position walking distance to all shops/restaurants & bars.
2/ Room on 3rd floor was brilliant paid £20 extra to get upgrade, had a seperate lounge room with sofa with another TV - very large rooms.
3/ Value for money booked on champagne deal.
4/ Service poor in restaurant - Manager came to talk to us (we didn't ask to see her) she made a MAJOR concession on the price - that goes a long way with me, recognise the mistake and put things right.
So yes I would go back to this hotel - it ain't perfect but what I paid put a smile on my face!

Room Tip: Be aware at weekends you may hear people on the streets late at night
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear PaulCWigan

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advsior, overall im pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that te issues that you did have were resolved to your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Me and my partner stayed at The Crown Hotel on 10/11/12 for 1 night,

And we can HONESTLY say what a joy it was to be greeted with a friendly smile from GEORGII and JO-JO!!!

They both couldnt do enough for us!!

Our room was spotless, clean, comfy beds, great location and best of all the breakfast!!!!!

We will definatley be staying here again soon!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 245 if you want a twin room, spacious and nice and quiet especially if a wedding going...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear martin_dvs

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay,
Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future