“Room was awful and reception staff extremely unhelpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Woking, United Kingdom
“Room was awful and reception staff extremely unhelpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

We arrived and tried to check in! Eventually used Debit card to pay even though they would have preferred visa. Given our room key 154 - duly went to the room to discover that is was specifically a disabled room. We had booked well in advance and had not requested a disabled room as we do not need one. We telephoned reception and asked if we could move room and were informed they were fully booked and could not move us, perhaps for our second nights stay tomorrow! Then we went to reception and explained that it was a special weekend away without our children and we had hoped for a much nicer room. We even suggested swapping with someone who had not checked in yet which was met with a resounding NO. We explained how disappointed we were........Room 154 has red alert cords hanging from the ceiling in a number of locations in the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom was a wet room with a disabled seat in a electric shower! The carpet was threadbare and the bed was on wheels, dingy lighting and freezing cold. We will not be staying here ever again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear Watersmeet96

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, please acccept my apologies that the room was not up to your expectations, we have two disabled rooms in the hotel, which unless they are specifically booked are used as standard rooms.
I do understand that perhaps it was not the sort of room that you had booked and for that i can only apologise.
Should you wish to stay at the hotel again please let me know directly and i will make sure that you will not be accommodated in this room
Many thanks for taking the time to give me this feedback.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I arrived at 1440 HHRS but the receptionist was very abrupt and told me in no uncertain terms I would have to wait until 1500 HHRS to check in, they were totally inflexible on this. They demand a £100 deposit on your credit card prior to check in. The bedroom was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. The windows were all frosted and one could not look out of the window, I assume it was an old bathroom. the room next door was seperated only by a plywood partition and Heard every conversation of the couple in the next room. When I was checking out I was told the payment would be deducted from my deposit. When I queried what the payment was for and how much I was told for the room. This was a business trip and the room was pre-paid. I informed the receptionist of this and she initially argued with me as if to say I was lying. When she clarified the situation that it had been pre-paid there was no apology. As I was walking away the 2 receptionists began giggling loudly. I walked back to challenge them and informed them of the above issues. All they would say was that the pre-payment was not very clear on their system. They would not discuss my main concern in respect to their attitude and I left with a very sour taste. I have never experienced such disgusting treatment from anyone, especially staff who are meant to make your stay comfortable. I had a train to catch and was unable to wait to complain to the manager. However, staff attitudes are usually passed down by management and if staff are allowed to treat customers like this I believe the management structure is very poor. I would never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 132!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Theredsofandfield
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, Firstly i wish to apologise that overall you didnt enjoy your stay at the hotel, If i could just clarify a couple of points, it is a standard procedure to ask for a card on arrival to cover the payment of the room, and I believe at that stage it was not clear who was to pay for your account, however it is not acceptable to be treated in a way where you felt uncomfortable upon checking out by the receptionists, this has been highlighted to both the Operations Manager and The Head Receptionist, who have been instructed to carry out retraining of customer care and etiquette at the hotel.
Once again please accept my sincerest apologies to yourself, but thank you for taking the time to give feedback as it is only by this that we can look at where are shortfalls are and improve.

Mazarron, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

good location very busy when we stayed here. The inernet in the bar was free and the sofas nice and comfy. Spent ages reading the papers also try the Hales bar which is open late on a weekend. The montpellier pub is near by good for food. The blues bar is also near and good for live music.

Room Tip: go to monteys bar
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear Boncamoronico

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel in Trip Advisor, I am pleased taht it was such a posotive experience for you and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

telford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

This was a beautiful hotel, the twin room was really big, and although I could hear some noise from outside it didnt stop me sleeping. The food was gorgeous, cooked to perfection. The hotel is in a central location, so its great if you want to go to the local pubs. Everyone in the hotel were very welcoming, friendly and polite.

Room Tip: If you really dont like any noise then best to choose a back bedroom.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Mandy010

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on trip Advisor, we fully apreciate your feedback, looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

stayed here several times before and really enjoyed it so booked another night as expected the same. In my view the stay experience relies mainly on the quality of the sleep. The matress in room 231 was terrible.Sagging so much we were lying the middle together. Also, the bathroom smelled extremely damp. When highlighting the problems with reception in the morning, got a " tough luck " response coupled with a " you were sleeping above the pump rooms, it usually smells damp" .Offered no resolution.
On the plus side the breakfast and breakfast room staff were excellent and parking is good.
Won"t be staying again Im afraid. theres too much competion in Harrogate to stick to one hotel that hasnt delivered as expected.

Room Tip: ask for the most recent refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Johnh

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, please accept my apologies that on this occasion your stay didnt live up to the expectations of previous stays.
Refurbishing a hotel is an ongoing project and i can assure you that the next large project is to be replacing all the mattresses in the hotel, i completley understand this doent help you know.
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding the breakfast, we do pride ourselves on having a consistently good breakfast.

One again many thanks for this review we can only learn from feedback posotive or constructive.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

This hotel is in a good central position with all Harrogate's attractions within 5 minutes walk. It was very quiet on the first night, a Tuesday so we were the only ones having a drink in the bar (The Place). It may also have been the high prices. Our room was spacious and comfortable but we would have preferred better lighting - the wardrobe was in an un-lit corner. Whilst there is a good selection on the buffet breakfast it is 'buffet' so the hot food has probably stood for some time. The bacon was hard and dry and the scrambled eggs a bit heavy one morning and sloppy the next. Parking can be a problem when the hotel is busy with limited space at the front and only a few at the rear for which you have to ask for a pass.

Room Tip: Front rooms get the morning sun.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear N10BOR

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, please accept my apolofgies for the breakfast not being to your standards, we pride ourselves on having an excellent breakfast at the hotel, please make sure sure if you decide to stay again that if there are any issues let us know.
Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review it is only when people do this is when we can look at our shortfalling and improve.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Myself and a group of friends stayed here for a quiet hen party.
We found the location to be brilliant.
Bed was comfortable. Only problem I had with the room was the lack of plugs. There wasn't one close to the bed so had to plug in my alarm and phone over the other side of the room. Still at least it got me out of bed in the morning.
The room sizes seemed to vary largely - I probably had the short straw in terms of room size as my friends had big rooms with possibly the biggest bathrooms I have ever seen. But both my bedroom and bathroom were small but adequate (about the size of a typical Travelodge room). Although I was the only one in my group not to have an ironing board in their room, I got an ironing board delivered to my room upon my second request.
Didnt have the best sleep as the person in the room upstairs came in at about 2am and then stomped around for a while and had their TV on loudly all night. But that's not the fault of the hotel.
Free wifi.
Highlight of my stay though was the breakfast - the breakfast room is very impressive. I think I actually gasped with amazement when I walked in. Good breakfast service. The choice of food and drinks was probably one of the best I have ever seen and I would return to this hotel for the breakfast alone, but only if I could get a deal on the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Wheretwonext1979

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the hotel, especially the breakfast!!, which is very well received from all of our other guests.
My apologies for getting the short straw in term of room sizes because we are an old hotel all of our rooms are different sizes, should you wish to come and stay again, please let me know and we will make sure that you are allocated a larger room.
Once againg many thanks for taking the time to write this review, look forward to welcoming you back in the near futre.