“Worst nights sleep ever but nice hotel overall.”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Worst nights sleep ever but nice hotel overall.”
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

First the negatives then the positives.
Room far too warm even when we turned down the radiator which meant we had to leave our window open - result being we got to sleep after 3am due to the noise from a wedding party at the hotel plus from other drunks outside.
Bed not very comfortable either and felt like we were both sliding towards the middle of the bed. My wife also thought the pillows were lumpy.
Parking very limited too and had to park around the corner on a main street with a disc limited to 3 hours free parking on one side of the street and 1 hour on the other. The staff failed to mention the 1 hour side and only after I asked did they let me know. I had parked on that side so had to go back to my car again to move it - lucky I did not get a parking ticket! Had to go to my car the next day for 9am to avoid parking ticket, not good when you want a lie in.
Positives were great central location, stunning old fashioned hotel inside and out, large rooms and bathrooms plus lovely breakfast.
Would not stay there again I'm afraid due to our sleepless night and the parking situation.

• Stayed December 2012
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear Andymack71
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip advisor, as part of our ongoing refurbishment programme it is planned to change the mattresses in the hotel, and i can only apologise that your nights sleep was not a comfortable one.
With regards to the car park, it is a small carpark and we do not promote ourselves as having a large carpark, unfortunately it is something that we have little control over.
Once again please accept my apologies that some apects of your trip didnt meet with your expectations, but thank you for taking the time to write a review its only when people do this that we can learn from where we are going wrong and what we can put right.
Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Ripon
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Stayed there after works Christmas do. The room was very spacious as was the bathroom. All looked clean. A little tired so could do with a bit of re-decorating in the actual room. Breakfast was pretty good in a large room which was a bit impersonal. Staff seemed to be few and far between. When we got back to the Hotel after our evening out we struggled to find someone to serve us at the bar. It was OK but not sure I would choose there again, it was great for the location but I think is a little over priced for what we got.

Room Tip: Not sure about which were good rooms as I only saw the one. There is very little parking so the par...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Heathben
many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, im pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall, but wish to apologise for the lack of bar staff this has been passed to the F and B manager for them to look into.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Helene, the Manageress had allocated us a lovely room, fantastic value for money, we will definitely return in 2013. Emma, Judy and all the staff that we saw in the hotel, smiled and spoke to us as we passed them. Very helpful, Yes there were creaking floorboards, but, the age of the hotel, well......what do people expect? Our only dissappointment was the poor quality mattress in the room, but, as we reported this, we were told by Judy, that they were in the process of changing things as they were reported by customers, this did not spoil our stay.......we would request the same room, with hopefully a new mattress, then we could definitely give the hotel the excellent all round. thanks to all at the hotel for an enjoyable pre-Christmas break.

Room Tip: We had a front room with a big bay window, which was very spacious and clean, quiet as we were stayi...
Dear Buxhols

many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advsior, and that you enjoyed your stay as you mentioned the mattresses will be getting replaced as an ongoing refurbishment programme.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Crown Hotel again
Cheshire
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Me and my pregnant wife arrived here on a Friday evening. There was no parking on the hotel location and no parking anywhere close to the hotel. After driving round for 10 minutes I decided to drop my wife off and then find a space on my own. The hotel reception area was rammed full of people waiting to enter a Christmas party and a long queue of people at reception waiting to book in. Eventually I found a parking space and returned to the chaos which was the hotel reception. Check in was pain free, we got our room card and proceeded through the now merry crowd to the lift, then our room.

When we got to our room we greeted the couple who were next door having trouble getting into their room. Fortunately we had no such problem and went into a decent sized room which was well presented (although the bathroom fittings were worryingly loose). The first thing I had to do was open the window and turn off the radiator, I understand it's winter and people like to be cosy, but the heat was unbearable. We decided to grab some food from the hotel restaurant: Christmas menu so I was quite looking forward to it. The restaurant was not busy and we were served quite promptly by the hotel staff. Our order was taken and drinks provided. 45 minutes later 2 starters arrived - we only ordered one (chicken liver pate). No complaints about the food but a strange lack of any staff about. Other people in the restaurant were waiting for meals or just to pay! Needless to say it took nearly 2 hours to complete a standard 3 course meal. Again the food quality was fine and the service when available was fine.

We then met some friends in the bar. My wife, at this point very tired, retired to bed. It was 10:30 PM so not early. I went back to the bar and continued my evening. In the morning my wife was not happy. I asked why and she replied that someone had been drilling from about 11 PM till 12 PM next door! I was slightly confused and we were obviously not the only people affected by this. The mystery driller returned at 9:30 AM to finish the job (breaking into the room next door) so not content with waking everyone up, there was defiantly no lie-in and he continued to drill and hammer until mid-afternoon.

When we questioned the reception, the response was an apology of sorts but apparently it was the management's decision to disturb everyone on our corridor without any explanation unless challenged. The rest of our stay was OK. The heat in the hotel was at times unbearable so our window remained open for our 2 day stay and we still slept on top of the covers with the radiators turned off - it was December and frosty outside which should give some idea of what the heat in the upstairs rooms was like.

Food quality was overall OK/good, breakfast had a good variety and was hosted by a good team of staff.

Based on this experience, we wouldn't stay here again. While the noise might have been unavoidable so that the poor couple next door had a room they could get into (the hotel was completely full), an unprompted apology from the management to those guests inconvenienced would have gone a long way. Other hotels we've stayed in would have done a lot more to maintain their guests' good opinion of the establishment.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Dear YOZZ1982
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, firstly please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to your wife whilst she was trying to rest, unfortunately as you are aware the hotel was fully booked and the room lock had broken so there was no other solution then to break down the door, which of course is of no comfort to your wife whilst trying to sleep. With regards to the next day, 9.30am would be classed as a reasonable time to start work it would be assumed that people would be in breakfast, again if this was not the case in your situation for this i can only apologise.
Regarding the heat i fully appreciate that it is not possible to heat the room to everyone satisfaction, it is the perils of being an old hotel.
However I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor it is only when people take the time to do this that we can look at where our shortfalls are and improve on them.

england
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I stayed for business last week. I arrived at midday & was greeted by 2 very polite reception staff I was told that a room was ready but it might be abit noisy that night due to parties . When I said that I am a light sleeper I was offered a room on the 3rd floor which was quieter When I got up to the room I had a huge suite - enormous lounge area ,big bathroom & spacious bedroom I ate in the restaurant which was quiet . Dinner was nothing special - Quite an unimaginative menu-think id have been better going out to one of the local pubs perhaps this is because the have big xmas parties to attend to
Once back in my room there was no party noise & the bed was very comfortable
At breakfast the next morning i witnessed the runniest scrambled eggs ive ever seen - more like egg soup with bits of white in it YUCK ! Most off putting. I saw other guests lift up the lid , cringe & put the lid back down again Strangely there were no fried eggs - a staple of any breakfast buffet

Room Tip: avoid 1st floor rooms if you sleep lightly
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank papapp
CrownHotel200, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear Papapp
many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, please accept my apologies that the breakfast was not up to your standards, we pride ourselves on having excellent breakfasts at The Crown Hotel, and I have passed on your comments to the Head Chef, with regards to fried eggs we actually cook them to order, just so you know for next time.
Thank you once agin for your feedback and i hope to welcome you back to The Crown Hotel in the near future.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We arrived and tried to check in! Eventually used Debit card to pay even though they would have preferred visa. Given our room key 154 - duly went to the room to discover that is was specifically a disabled room. We had booked well in advance and had not requested a disabled room as we do not need one. We telephoned reception and asked if we could move room and were informed they were fully booked and could not move us, perhaps for our second nights stay tomorrow! Then we went to reception and explained that it was a special weekend away without our children and we had hoped for a much nicer room. We even suggested swapping with someone who had not checked in yet which was met with a resounding NO. We explained how disappointed we were........Room 154 has red alert cords hanging from the ceiling in a number of locations in the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom was a wet room with a disabled seat in a electric shower! The carpet was threadbare and the bed was on wheels, dingy lighting and freezing cold. We will not be staying here ever again!

Dear Watersmeet96

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, please acccept my apologies that the room was not up to your expectations, we have two disabled rooms in the hotel, which unless they are specifically booked are used as standard rooms.
I do understand that perhaps it was not the sort of room that you had booked and for that i can only apologise.
Should you wish to stay at the hotel again please let me know directly and i will make sure that you will not be accommodated in this room
Many thanks for taking the time to give me this feedback.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I arrived at 1440 HHRS but the receptionist was very abrupt and told me in no uncertain terms I would have to wait until 1500 HHRS to check in, they were totally inflexible on this. They demand a £100 deposit on your credit card prior to check in. The bedroom was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. The windows were all frosted and one could not look out of the window, I assume it was an old bathroom. the room next door was seperated only by a plywood partition and Heard every conversation of the couple in the next room. When I was checking out I was told the payment would be deducted from my deposit. When I queried what the payment was for and how much I was told for the room. This was a business trip and the room was pre-paid. I informed the receptionist of this and she initially argued with me as if to say I was lying. When she clarified the situation that it had been pre-paid there was no apology. As I was walking away the 2 receptionists began giggling loudly. I walked back to challenge them and informed them of the above issues. All they would say was that the pre-payment was not very clear on their system. They would not discuss my main concern in respect to their attitude and I left with a very sour taste. I have never experienced such disgusting treatment from anyone, especially staff who are meant to make your stay comfortable. I had a train to catch and was unable to wait to complain to the manager. However, staff attitudes are usually passed down by management and if staff are allowed to treat customers like this I believe the management structure is very poor. I would never stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 132!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Theredsofandfield
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, Firstly i wish to apologise that overall you didnt enjoy your stay at the hotel, If i could just clarify a couple of points, it is a standard procedure to ask for a card on arrival to cover the payment of the room, and I believe at that stage it was not clear who was to pay for your account, however it is not acceptable to be treated in a way where you felt uncomfortable upon checking out by the receptionists, this has been highlighted to both the Operations Manager and The Head Receptionist, who have been instructed to carry out retraining of customer care and etiquette at the hotel.
Once again please accept my sincerest apologies to yourself, but thank you for taking the time to give feedback as it is only by this that we can look at where are shortfalls are and improve.