“A 'creaking' nights sleep!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip. Check in was quick and thorough. My room was on the second floor and was adequate. It consisted of a double bed, 2 seater sofa, dressing table and wardrobe.

On the plus side the bed was really comfortable but on the negative side the noise caused by the creaking floorboards was annoying. When the person in the room above me returned to their room I struggled to hear the tv over the sound of their floorboards. Likewise, at 0400 when the person in the room next to me got out of bed I was woken up by their creaking floorboards.

At 0715 I was the only person in breakfast! Buffet style breakfast; really good choice, both hot and cold options.

Check out was just as swift as check in had been. If I could guarantee a quieter room I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Gourmet_Tastic
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am pleased that you mostly enjoyed your stay at the Crown.
The hotel is 400 years old and occasionaly shows its age however during the next refurbishment of the bedrooms we will be looking to solve this problem of creaky floorboards.
On the plus side I am pleased that you were dealt with efficiently by the reception team, slept well and enjoyed the breakfast.
Should you visit Harrogate again I do hope that you stay with us again.
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I wa slightly dubious about staying here given some of the reviews, but must say the overall experience was fantastic.
I stayed on the third floor in what seemed to be a refurbished room - it was very clean, spacious and had everything needed for a pleasant stay. The only complaint would be the very creaky floorboards.
We also ate in the hotel restaurant for two nights running and was very impressed by the quality of food. It was a million miles away from usual hotel fare!
Most of the staff we encountered were very friendly and welcoming as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Dear LJenner
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay despite reading some mediocre reviews.
All of the bedrooms in the hotel were decorated 7 years ago and we are now looking to refurbish them again in the very near future, and while that is underway we are investigating ways to solve the problem of the creaking floorboards.
I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the food in our bistro when you were here. While guests very often praise the quality and variety of the breakfasts, other dishes that the kitchen prepares and cooks is often, unfairly, overlooked. We do have a very talented team led by a Head Chef with a palate for flavours.
Thank you again for writing a review and I do hope you return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The hotel building froom the outside is impressive & location excellent. Reception area , stairways & breakfast room all equally impressive & well kept. Unfortunately the actual bedroom wasn't quite as good. It was clean & well appointed. Not big but I've had worse, but the whole room was just 'boring' & totally out of keeping with the hotel in general. It was like a 'dated' Premier Inn room. The wardrobe looked as i it had been bought in bulk from a var boot sale without any consideration to the hotels style. The bathroom was much better, bright clean & modern, but unfortunately let down by the rest of the room.
Breakfast was good & the breakfast room was impressive. I would certainly stay again, but not paying the rate I did & the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Dont stay in a standard room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear valw5
Thank you for taking time to write a review of the hotel and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. The hotel bedrooms were refurbished 7 years ago and we are now looking to refresh them again, over the next few years. Some people love the simplicity of the bedrooms while others don't and you are amongst the latter, however on a positive note it's pleasing that you liked the decor in the rest of the hotel.
If you do come back to Harrogate and stay with us again, which I hope you do, you may find the bedrooms more to your liking.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

On Sat 19/10/13 we got married at this hotel. We have beeen planning for a year and have worked very closely with the events co-ordinators, during this time they could not have been more helpful. On the day everything went like clockwork and to plan, we had a fantastic day and again the hotel staff were brilliant. If you are planning to get married in Harrogate we can highly reccomend The Crown Hotel. The food and service was excellent and in the evening we had a disco which was equally as good. Our special thanks go to Jenny Sutton and Keir Hayter in co-ordinating this for us. Everyone who attended told they had thoroughly enjoyed the day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Smith918
Thank you for taking your time to write a review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that your wedding day was everything that you hoped for, especially after all of the planning that went into it. I have passed your thanks on to Jenny and Keir who worked with you both to make sure your day went perfectly. I am also pleased that your guests enjoyed the day too.
I hope that you come back to stay with us in a years time to celebrate your anniversary and we can look forward to meeting up with you again. Congratulations and the very best of luck to you both for the future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here overnight as were attending a friends wedding at a neighbouring hotel. The hotel is impressive from the outside and the lobby looks lovely with its chandeliers and decor. However there was a feeling that parts of the hotel needed some modernisation and tlc. This would be an amazing hotel with a little modern tlc.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Redwooll
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you liked the hotel and the grandeur of the building, especially the outside and the reception/lounge area. When the hotel was refurbished 7 years ago it was felt that the decor had to be in keeping with the style of the building. The decoration on the ceiling in the lounge was picked out in gold and the chandeliers repaired and cleaned. The wooden floor in the breakfast room was restored to it's former glory and the function rooms have their wooden panels, beautiful ceilings and sumptuous drapes. The refurbishment is an ongoing process and there are some modern features which compliment the traditional decoration.
I do hope that should you stay at the hotel again you will have a look at the other rooms to see how sympathetically they have been refurbished.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We have stayed at the Crown Hotel several times over past couple of years, we like the Harrogate shopping/eating experience. We twice celerbrated New Years Eve with friends and stay as a couple at least twice a year, in fact we are booked for end of November with my son and his wife, going to the Christmas Fayre. We normaly prefer eating out but can certainly recommend the Breakfest Buffet. We find the staff very helpful and the hotel in general is very clean. We did experience some very selfish business men in the lounge one morning having a very loud "group" telephone call with third parties, we quieltly mentioned it to a passing member of staff who apologised and took us to a quieter area and brought us complimentry coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are excellent with lovely views out across the flower beds.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Eric P
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am so pleased that you enjoy your visits to the hotel. The Christmas Fayre in Harrogate has really taken off and the hotel is very busy this year with guests who are coming especially for the fair. I hope the weather is better this time than last year when it rained, although it didn't dampen spirits at all.
The hotel is very proud of it's breakfast buffet and we get very many compliments on the quantity as well as the quality of the food. I am glad that you like it.
I am also pleased that the "annoyance" you had with the rather loud guest was dealt with promptly, and to your satisfaction, by a memeber of staff.
I look forward to welcoming both you and your family back to the hotel in a few weeks time.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is an historic hotel which has undergone a substantial refurbishment. The room I had was large and comfortable and well appointed. I was at the front of the building but it was well insulated from traffic noise and the curtains kept out exterior light. It was good to have instructions to operate the shower in the hotel guide as this isn't always self-evident and other hotels could copy. Wi-Fi was slow on the evening I arrived, but was fine in the morning. Normally I have museli and toast for breakfast but I had the full English which was piled high and good quality, especially the black pudding. The sumptuous breakfast room was a bit forlorn given what seemed to be very thin trade. On my occasional trips to Harrogate, I have stayed in a number of locations and no one has been unsatisfactory so far.

Dear WynG
Thank you for taking time to write a review of the hotel and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The rooms at the front of the hotel are unfortunately limited in number but if you do stay in one it's lovely to sit and look at the roundabout covered in flowers with the large crown in the centre.
The hotel guest folders were updated earlier in the year and this time we did think to include "how to operate" guides for guests, as well as the free wi-fi passwords" to save them coming back down to reception to ask.
I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast as we are very proud of what we offer our guests and the black pudding is now made in house by the chefs. The Churchill Suite where breakfast is held is a large and imposing room and generally full at the weekend, although if you come down early it's nice to enjoy a coffee with the Sunday papers while it's quiet.
I do hope that if you visit Harrogate again you will once more stay at the Crown.