“Not for Car travellers”

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
“Not for Car travellers”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at the Crown hotel and wouldn't go back. Don't bring your car because parking on site is a nightmare as there is limited spaces available. If you don't get in you will spend ages driving around trying to park could only find overnight parking in a multi story for £13. Then a taxi back to the hotel £5 plus £5 to return to the car an extra £23 a day. The hotel now needs to be updated. It's not quaint that the floorboards all squeak. Our bedroom was cold they did send a oil radiator to help warm it up as the heating was not working.The breakfast was good so it had one plus!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ron B
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Ron B
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you had a problem with finding an available car parking space near the hotel.
The car park at the Crown is limited but free and on a first come first served basis while most other hotels charge. Once our car park is full the reception team are only too happy to direct guests to nearby on street parking which is free between 6pm each evening and 8 am in the morning and all day Sunday. There is plenty of on street parking a few roads from the hotel and a 24 hour car park 100 yards away as well as 2 multi storey car parks within walking distance from the Crown.
The hotel is a very old building and I am sorry if you were disturbed by the squeaky floorboards however when the rooms are refurbished we will be looking into solving this problem.
Some rooms do take a little longer to heat up, especially the larger ones, however we do have plenty of oil filled radiators should they be needed and I am pleased that your request for one was acted upon.
On a positive note I am glad to note that you enjoyed your breakfast and perhaps if you visit Harrogate again this may tempt you to come back to the Crown.
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
sydney
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for two nights in November in a small double room-only one person.The reception was quick and efficient,the room was clean and quiet with a nice view of Harrogate.The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom/shower was just fine.In the bathroom they have soap/hair shampoo in wall dispensers-avoid-they are nasty!The breakfast was great-good choices and not bad coffee.Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear richard t
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
I am glad that you found the room clean and that you had a good night's sleep although I have passed your comments about the shower gel and shampoo on to the HeadHousekeeper for her information. I have also let the breakfast chef know that you enjoyed his breakfast as it is always nice to have positive feedback.
I hope that should you come back to Harrogate, you stay at the Crown Hotel again.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my husband and son whilst visiting family in the town. We booked directly with the hotel and the reservation team couldn't have been more helpful they took great care in allocating us a room when we booked which met all our requests. We paid £80 for a standard double and breakfast which was good valve for this town. When we arrived we were unable to find anywhere to park, even on the street, the hotel states that it has limited parking but this is an understatement !! I went into the hotel to ask for advice on parking and was told quite directly that we'd just have to find a space on the surrounding streets and given a street map of the town. This wasn't very helpful on a cold dark evening when it's pouring with rain !! We eventually managed to squeeze the car in a parking space, scraping the bumper in the process,we were unsure if we would get clamped but as we were so fed up of driving round and round we thought we'd take a chance!

Checking in was a complete shambles the couple in front of us obviously knew the receptionist,Abby, personally by the way they were chatting it appeared that a twin room had been allocated by mistake but instead of just changing the room she upgraded them to an executive double and then only charged them £67.00 for the night!! I believe the term used is "mates rates" !! Our room (121) was specious and met our needs very well it was clean and nicely decorated but like previous reviewers I would've liked them to have kept some of the original features when it was refurbished recently. The room had a big bay window which looked out into the road and over the town, this made the room light and airy. I especially liked the placing of two armchairs in the bay window and the pictures of old Harrogate and a brief history of the hotel on the walls of the room. The bathroom was modern and clean and had both a bath and a shower (although not a power shower ) a heated towel rail would've been nice and people come to expect little touches like this when staying in a 4 star hotel. Breakfast was served in the Churchill room which had lots of original features and was the usual self service selection of cereals, fruit, continental breakfast, juices etc and long line of trays which each contained items for the full English breakfast. I like this to be served fresh at the table but that's just my personal preference, overall it was very good for the £5 each extra we paid.
Overall a nice hotel for the money. The big let down is the lack of parking. The hotel has about 115 rooms and states it has 30 car parking spaces although I would question that number. Basically apart from about a dozen spaces around the back what you see at the front of the hotel is it ! Next time we will gladly pay more to stay at one of the bigger hotels with a large car park.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Anon186364
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Anon 186364
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you had a problem finding a car parking space when you arrived. We always state that parking is limited at the hotel and our receptionists are trained to inform guests of alternative parking in the area. Unlike most hotels in Harrogate, parking at the Crown is free and on Saturdays from 6pm until Monday morning at 8am the on street parking is free. I am aware that trying to find a parking space can be frustrating for guests, especially when Harrogate is busy, but we try to help as much as we can.
While you were waiting to check in, Abi was indeed dealing with a couple, so a senior manager came on to reception to help guests wishing to register, which included you and your husband. Abi had been with the couple, who were not previously known to her, for some time and was chatting to them whilst waiting for help from a more senior colleague. There were no double rooms available so under the direction of this colleague Abi was instructed to upgrade them. They were on a different package to you as breakfast, at £10 per person, was not included in their rate. Had it been they would have been paying a higher tariff than you. There are no "mates rates" at the hotel and room rates vary from day to day depending on when the room is booked and what is happening in Harrogate.
On a more positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you liked the room you had been allocated, which was warm, clean and front facing as you had requested. I am pleased also that you enjoyed the breakfast.
Should you visit Harrogate again and stay with us, I am sure that everyone will do their best to make sure you have a room you like and that you have an enjoyable time.
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Had a one night stay here on 26 Oct and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was enormous (we booked the superior double package with wine and chocolates). The bed was very comfortable and we slept like a log! Breakfast was fantastic. Didn't eat dinner in the hotel. The car park is ver small but I suppose when the hotel was built a car park wasn't needed. The only downside I could find was there was noise from the bar but other than that we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear cazm1
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you really enjoyed your stay here.
I am also pleased that you slept well and then enjoyed breakfast. If you do stay with us again perhaps you will eat in the restaurant and see what our talented team of chefs can produce.
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip. Check in was quick and thorough. My room was on the second floor and was adequate. It consisted of a double bed, 2 seater sofa, dressing table and wardrobe.

On the plus side the bed was really comfortable but on the negative side the noise caused by the creaking floorboards was annoying. When the person in the room above me returned to their room I struggled to hear the tv over the sound of their floorboards. Likewise, at 0400 when the person in the room next to me got out of bed I was woken up by their creaking floorboards.

At 0715 I was the only person in breakfast! Buffet style breakfast; really good choice, both hot and cold options.

Check out was just as swift as check in had been. If I could guarantee a quieter room I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Gourmet_Tastic
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am pleased that you mostly enjoyed your stay at the Crown.
The hotel is 400 years old and occasionaly shows its age however during the next refurbishment of the bedrooms we will be looking to solve this problem of creaky floorboards.
On the plus side I am pleased that you were dealt with efficiently by the reception team, slept well and enjoyed the breakfast.
Should you visit Harrogate again I do hope that you stay with us again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I wa slightly dubious about staying here given some of the reviews, but must say the overall experience was fantastic.
I stayed on the third floor in what seemed to be a refurbished room - it was very clean, spacious and had everything needed for a pleasant stay. The only complaint would be the very creaky floorboards.
We also ate in the hotel restaurant for two nights running and was very impressed by the quality of food. It was a million miles away from usual hotel fare!
Most of the staff we encountered were very friendly and welcoming as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear LJenner
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay despite reading some mediocre reviews.
All of the bedrooms in the hotel were decorated 7 years ago and we are now looking to refurbish them again in the very near future, and while that is underway we are investigating ways to solve the problem of the creaking floorboards.
I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the food in our bistro when you were here. While guests very often praise the quality and variety of the breakfasts, other dishes that the kitchen prepares and cooks is often, unfairly, overlooked. We do have a very talented team led by a Head Chef with a palate for flavours.
Thank you again for writing a review and I do hope you return to the hotel in the future.
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The hotel building froom the outside is impressive & location excellent. Reception area , stairways & breakfast room all equally impressive & well kept. Unfortunately the actual bedroom wasn't quite as good. It was clean & well appointed. Not big but I've had worse, but the whole room was just 'boring' & totally out of keeping with the hotel in general. It was like a 'dated' Premier Inn room. The wardrobe looked as i it had been bought in bulk from a var boot sale without any consideration to the hotels style. The bathroom was much better, bright clean & modern, but unfortunately let down by the rest of the room.
Breakfast was good & the breakfast room was impressive. I would certainly stay again, but not paying the rate I did & the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Dont stay in a standard room.