“Very Average”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Stayed at the crown for one night, and can’t say I was overly impressed.

The hotel has clearly been recently refurbished. But in my opinion this has been done on the cheap. The room was very large and there was plenty of room for a cot for our 18 month old son. However, the bed was small, the carpet looked cheap and the room was very sparsely furnished, sounds like I’m being very picky, which I suppose I am, but there was just something about the room, furniture and layout that just said cheap hotel.

The main areas of the hotel were nice, reception were helpful, breakfast was good, plenty of choice etc. Our evening meal was served in “The Place” which is a bistro/bar used by hotel guests and open to the public. We started dinner 7 and in the beginning everything was fine. Nice atmosphere of informal dining, however the place was totally understaffed, there were only three staff to run bar and restaurant. From receiving a desert menu to getting food on the table took 45 minutes and I had to go to the bar myself to order, as the staff were now concentrating efforts on serving drinks. We mentioned this as we checked out and the reception staff were very apologetic and clearly new this to be an issue even stating “I know we sometimes have to go and help them out”, having said all that the food was very nice.

So to summarise, I would say the crown is very average. I can’t say I would strongly advise people not to stay at the Crown, however, I know I will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed 5 September 2008

The Crown Hotel has a good position in the centre of Harrogate, some old world charm, limited parking. Our room was quite small and very ordinary, the bathroom had the basics and was clean. The breakfast was fine.
The purpose of the visit was a surprise birthday treat for my elderly mother and when we booked in I emphasised this to the receptionist as my parents were to arrive later in the day. However when my parents booked in they were mistakenly given the key to our room! So the surprise was ruined - never mind the security implications of giving out two keys for the same room.
When I complained to the reception manager she was very apologetic but this, and a complimentary bottle of champagne sent up to the room, could not undo the damage done to the long planned birthday surprise.
When we checked out the next morning there were mistakes on my father's bill (additional to the amount, not the other way) which had to be rectified. Needless to say we were not impressed.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I have just returned from a night stay in this hotel with My Husband and my 20 month old daughter.

The room was very spacious, it was more like a suite.

We had a lovely time, the hotel was quiet and even on the second night when they had a wedding function we were not subject to any drunk people roaming around the hotel or any loud noises.

The food there was execptional, we stayed Dinner Bed and Breakfast, the menu could of had a few more choices but I was very happy with the food I received. The chef made my daughter what ever she wanted to eat which was free of charge so we couldn't of asked for more.

The breakfast selection seemed to be endless, fresh fruit platters, cheese and cold meats, cereal, pastries not to mention a huge traditional full english if you could manage it.

The hotel staff were very friendly - the room was a little hot for our daughter on the first night so the reception staff arranged for a stand up fan to be placed in our room with no problems what so ever.

Upon departure there was a slight error on our bill but they recitifed this within minutes no problem at all.

Over all a very pleasant stay and we would return.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Keri01
Reviewed 22 July 2008

Having happily stayed at The Crown for 3 years in succession we will never return. All was fine until my husband took a fall in his room and damaged the wall where his shoulder hit it. No - he is not a particularly heavy man - I would say just pretty average. The wall gave way, leaving a hole about 10'' in diameter and my husband was left with some cuts and bruises on his shoulder. Shocked at what had happened he instantly reported it to reception. The response was frosty. No one asked how he was. On checking-out of the hotel the next day he was presented with a bill for £350 for repair!! When he questioned the huge amount (he had been prepared to pay about £100 for repair) the very aggressive hotel owner made an appearance. He was shouting at my husband for damaging his newly refurbished hotel and threatening to call the police if he didn't pay up. My husband - a very quiet man - asked him to calm down so that they could talk about it. Then he noticed that another man had appeared between him and the front door - he was not going to be allowed to leave!! Feeling completely intimidated, he paid the £350.
I am so cross about it. OK, £350 is obviously excessive for the repair that needed to be made but what angers me most is the attitude that the hotel took (in particular the owner!!!) towards my husband. The same attitude would have been taken with an OAP or a child. Be very careful if you stay at The Crown.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ellieminelli
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We have just returned from a trip to Harrogate & stayed in the very central Crown Hotel. This was the only hotel I could find with 4 twin rooms free when I booked in Jan, and was worried by the reviews on here.

It was actually very good: rooms were spacious; breakfast was extensive and we were not rushed either day. One of the rooms was too cold; others were pretty hot, but that was our only gripe. Front desk staff were fairly helpful and the hotel itself has been refurbished pretty well. Some noise outside as it is very central, but nothing more than is to be expected.

Would visit again!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank NottinghamPickle
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We had a weekend at the Crown Hotel for my hen weekend. Were a little anxious having read the mixed reviews, but once we had checked in our minds were put at rest.

The rooms were modern, with comfy beds and an excellent breakfast selection.

We had 3 cars with us and all managed to get parked in the (admittedly small) car park in front of the hotel.

The hotel is quite grand with a nice bar area. The breakfast room is almost palatial. Lovely central location.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Geordie_lady
Reviewed 6 April 2008

We booked three rooms via the hotel website for a family celebration weekend. Whilst nothing so bad as to walk out over, the whole stay was disappointing and we would not return to or recommend this hotel.

Both young women we encountered on the front desk over the weekend had an exceptionally poor attitude and the most unfortunate manner.

The hotel has a small car park at its front, with only two spaces allocated for disabled parking. When we arrived, both of these were roped-off with a reserved notice, although one was being used by a florist to deliver for a wedding, and the car park was otherwise full. Despite having a blue-badge registered disabled guest in our party, the hotel refused any assistance in reserving any space in the car park should one become available, insisting it should have been reserved ahead of time. How we were supposed to know this and that they had only two spaces could not be explained.

The disabled access entry to the hotel, that allows someone using a wheelchair to get in without using the small old revolving door, wasn't working when we arrived. It had been wedged shut from the inside! Perhaps the front desk staff wanted to avoid the cold air?

Generally, the hotel has clearly benefited from new paintwork and decoration in its recent refurbishment. But the improvements all seem to be superficial with little evidence that more substantial improvements were made whilst they had the opportunity.

For example, the floor boards throughout the hotel are obviously old and in need of replacement, or at the very least, tightening up; whenever you walk around a bedroom or along the corridors you will hear creeks and squeaks. This can cause quite a disturbance as you sleep, or try to.

Similarly, the windows are old and, we found, rattle if they catch the wind outside. The knocking noise they made woke us at 4am and to begin with, we could not work out what it was. Lovely night's sleep - especially as we had disco noise from the wedding party in the function room a couple of floors below us to contend with until the early hours.

The radiators in the rooms are lovely-looking pieces of their time - however, guests have absolutely zero control over them! They turn on of their own accord, and you cannot adjust the level of heat they give out. And incidentally, there's no air conditioning in the rooms either (for when summer comes).

The other major issue we had, in one of the rooms, was the lack of hot water in the shower/bath. Apparently down to the failure of a pump designed to boost the poor water pressure. Having reported this and being promised a call back, we waited 45 minutes for assistance and then, as we were late for the booking, went to dinner. After which we went back to the front desk, where we were being firmly blamed for having not been in the room when someone went to investigate. The attitude again was extremely poor and not at all focused on customer service or the guest experience.

We were told nothing could be done about the problem as maintenance staff were gone until tomorrow, which I suggested wasn't really good enough, as we would want to wash! So a second person came to attempt a fix, which failed, and so we were switched rooms, not ideal last thing at night.

The hotel appears not to offer anything larger than a Queen size bed, even in the suites, despite the fact that the wall-mounted bedside furniture and head-board have been built with space for a King to fit between the bedside tables.

In one of our rooms, the bedroom door (from the inside of the room, not the corridor) had no catch or lock, and so couldn't be kept closed, which meant we weren't as sound proofed from the corridor as we could have been. In the bathroom of that room, a suite, there was a very narrow glass shelf above the basic hand basin, not much room at all for toiletries etc. Seemed quite low spec really.

The rooms don't offer some of the other 'basics' of a modern hotel either - such as an in-room safe, or a fridge/mini-bar (at least not in the 'Superior' rooms) or paper and pen by the phone. The phone itself was really old, the message light was fixed on, and the voicemail system hadn't cleared the personalised message of a previous guest when they'd left, which should be automatic. In the morning, the newspaper of a nearby room had been wrongly delivered under our door - how difficult is it to check a room number?!

Dinner, if you book a Dinner B&B rate, will not be available in the main dining room (which is nowadays only used for breakfast), but in their new bistro bar 'The Place' with a very informal style, and a fairly limited menu.

Breakfast was good, with a wide range and plentiful supply - the odd wait for some hot items during rush hour, but it seemed the kitchen had things well under control. The doors were closed promptly at 10am though, so don't sleep in!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family