“Uncomforatble”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having stopped here on business I took the opportunity to visit again with my wife, unfortunately the bed was so uncomfortable it was a waste of a weekend. This has got to be the first hotel I have ever visited when n-ne seems bothered about "how your stay was", save some money and go to the premier inn, at least they have a good night guarantee.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear john E
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you found the bed uncomfortable. You do not enlarge upon your observation so I am not sure whether it was the mattress that wasn't to your liking or that you would have preferred a bigger bed. Some guests like our beds, and others don't, so it is down to personal preference and what you are used to however we are looking to replace some double beds this year with king sized.

There are newer reviews for The Crown Hotel

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I booked this hotel through Thorpe park for my daughter and her partner on arrival they were asked for a £70 security deposit for the room that was already fully paid for a week in advanced and no mention of this at the time as they are a young couple this was a lot out of their budget they left the room exactly how they were given it good clean condition yet a week later there is no explanation or refund of there hard earned money I'm utterly disgusted at there attitude towards there younger clientele ( hard working early 20s ) whom im sure are a lot of thre custom as thorpe park recommend I personally would not use them again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Brian Moody J
You have reviewed the wrong Crown Hotel. Your reference to Thorpe Park leads me to believe that your daughter and partner stayed at The Crown Hotel Chertsey in Surrey, just a few miles away from Thorpe Park. Our Crown Hotel is in Harrogate, over 200 miles away!
Never mind, we have Lightwater Valley just up the road so perhaps your daughter ought to give this Crown Hotel a try!!!! We do great breakfasts, clean rooms, we welcome the younger clientele and Harrogate is a beautiful town.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We booked a last minute stay at the Crown Hotel for Staurday 19th April, using their own website and asking for a Double Room overlooking the front of the hotel We were charged £89 Advance Purchase for B&B. Now I appreciate that there appear to be some mixed reviews, howver, upon arriving at the Hotel, it becomes apparent it is in a fantastis location, it looks superb and yes whilst parking may be a bit awkward, we managed to secure a spot in the Hotel Car Park even with a Wedding taking place! Staff in Reception were very helpful, especially Sarah and Amy, and we were made to feel welcome and they also confirmed that our Special Request had been sorted for us. As our room wasnt quite ready, we decided to have a walk around Harrogate and proceeded to spend a fantastic afternoon shopping, eating and having a few social drinks before returning to the Crown to Check In. We had Room 120, and again Sarah was extremely helpful and updated us with all relevant information needed. This room is massive, with fantastic Floor to Ceiling Windows and yes it does have squeeky floor boards but this did not detract from our stay. In the evening we decided to eat out at Luigi's which again was not only a lovely family run restaurant but also very close to the Hotel and good value. Now, as my wife was a little poorly we decided to call it a night about 10.00pm, and upon returning to the hotel, the only criticism I can make was that a group of smokers from the Wedding party clearly thought it was acceptable to lean against my car and flick ash all over it!!! A quiet word from myself ensued and it quickly stopped, but just to make sure I spoke with Amy on reception and she sorted out with the Duty Manager to make sure it didnt happen again! That aside, even though the Wedding was on, it went quiet just before midnight and we had a lovely nights sleep on their very comfortable bed. Breakfast was lovely, hot and with a great choice, and we even secured a late check out which was kindly organised by Sarah, again a lovely lady who is a credit to the Crown Hotel. All in all, we will return to Harrogate and will definitely stay at the Crown Hotel again, in fact next time we will probably bring the whole family to experience its delights.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 120, very clean, and can only be described as massive with fantastic views overloo...
1  Thank BigArms74
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear BigArms74
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you recieved eggcellent customer service from Amy and Sarah, in particular, especially when she gave you your Easter egg. All guests who stayed here over the bank holiday weekend had a gift from the same Easter Bunny!
If guests make special requests on booking, as you did, we do our best to make sure that these are acted upon and I am pleased that you liked your room overlooking the beautiful Jubilee Roundabout. And lucky you to get a parking space at the hotel even with a wedding taking place!
I am glad too that you enjoyed your breakfast in the morning and that you were able to stay a little longer, again arranged by reception and the lovely Sarah.
You appear to have had a great stay here and in Harrogate and I, and I am sure the reception team, look forward to welcoming you and your family back again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have stayed many times because we go to the Blues Bar just up the road for the music. We go to bed late so we have no idea if other guests are noisy or not. We are quiet!
I like to go down for the 7.30 breakfast start and be served by good staff especially Monika and I like the food.
Some floorboards creak and floors are not perfectly level, but we like it like that.
We have booked for another half a dozen stays over the year, so that says a lot doesn't it.
I always worry if we will get a parking space, sometimes we don't.

Dear alan w
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that again you have enjoyed your stay with us and have booked further nights with us.
I am also pleased that you understand that the parking is limited and that you do get a space sometimes, but not always. There is generally a lot of on street parking around the hotel which the reception team are more than happy to direct guests to.
I have passed on your remarks concerning Monika to her and she was really pleased to get a mention in dispatches as often the breakfast staff are overlooked.
I look forward to welcoming you again in a few months time.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, fantastic breakfast well worth paying for it!! Room clean and very spacious. Yes a VERY squeaky hotel and yes to be expected, but if your a light sleeper then this hotel may not be for you. We also experienced a lot of noise from other guests on the landing with running up and down and doors slamming.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JanineE313
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you liked the hotel and had an enjoyable stay with us. As I have mentioned before, the hotel is very old and she does creak and moan on occasion, however we are planning to refurbish the rooms in the near future and are looking at ways to solve this problem.
As to noisy guests, I am sorry that you were disturbed by them. We always hope that our guests will respect each other by behaving responsibly though sadly this isn't always the case. If reported, our managers or night porters are more than happy to ask the offending guests to either keep their noise down or stop altogether.
I hope that should you be in Harrogate in the future, you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Booked the executive room for my partners bday weekend. The exterior of the hotel looks beautiful and is in a perfect location however after we had checked in and made our way to our room, I was let down and disappointed of the entire room/bathroom/lounge area. I honestly can't believe I paid £139 for one night where we didn't even get a good nights sleep as the bed is tiny and the floors are creaky and there was so much noise coming from the corridor by other guests. We have stopped at many other hotels and paid less than this and we have never had a bad experience as this. Won't be stopping at the crown again, though harrogate is a lovely place.

1  Thank Katie K

Dear Katie K
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry that the stay didn't meet with your expectations.
As you had booked an executive room, you would have automatically recieved the extras that go with it: bathrobes, 2 bottles of Harrogate Spa water, Hotel Chocolat chocolates and a bottle of wine as well as H2K toiletries. This added package is included in the price of the room which I believe is good value for money, especially at a weekend. The beds are all standard doubles and we are looking to refurbish the rooms in the near future when some of the doubles will be replaced by king sized beds.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by noisy guests and that you won't be staying with us again. We do expect that everyone who stays will be courteous and respect others but sadly this isn't always the case.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the 18th as a couple. Check in was very smooth. They couldn't find our booking but easily resolved. Very old-y world-y hotel with so much character. Room was spacious. Very nice comfy and warm. The floors creak a lot!! We were quite lucky we couldn't hear anyone else's floors creaking. Maybe it was just our room. Breakfast was fab, cooked breakfasts, cereal, toast, croissants, so much choice! Would stay again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Franyorke6
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return in the future.
With the hotel being over 400 years old, many guests like the "old world" feel of the building with all the history that goes along with age, even though at times she creaks a bit at the seems.
I am also pleased that your check-in was smooth and that you enjoyed the breakfast. I look forward to welcoming you in the future.