“A Bit Disappointing”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had our wedding breakfast here. The communication and attention in the months before the event were as expected, but arrangements on the day fell apart. At one stage I had to run up to the bridal suite in the middle of the meal to check on my laptop because the staff had no idea which guest ordered what option, despite detailed lists being sent months before. They also made me late for my own wedding because it took them an hour to provide a cake stand as agreed when we were setting up the room in the morning. The food was good, but the drinks were so expensive, several guests sneaked drinks in from a neighbouring pub. The bed in the bridal suite was slightly less comfortable than a slab of concrete. They also forgot the cutting of the cake ceremony. We had a good time despite the hotel, not because of them. Tellingly, there was no attempt by the hotel to get feedback from us.

Room Tip: Don't book the bridal suite unless you know a good chiropractor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Mansosa
I have read the review of your wedding last June, posted nearly a year after the event, and I am not sure if you mean the Crown Hotel in Harrogate. I have spoken to several colleagues who help organise and set up our weddings and none of them can remember a wedding where the groom was late for the ceremony or needed to leave the reception to get a list of what food the guests had ordered. We've also never had a complaint about either suites normally used by the bride and groom. If you are certain that you have reviewed the correct hotel please e-mail me at Service.Manager@crownhotelharrogate.com so that I can investigate the matter further.
Regards
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were woke up at 6am with extremely loud noise from the kitchen fan which was at the side of our bedroom window. While we appreciate this cannot be avoided guest's should be advised on booking . We reported our complaint with the night porter whom told us this was a regular complaint from guests who had rooms at the back of the hotel (room 343)

Room Tip: Aviod rooms at back of hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear kirfue23
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you were disturbed by the kitchen fans. Unfortunately the fans have to be on when breakfast is started which is normally when the chefs come in between 6 and 6.30am. I will speak to the Reception Manager regarding her staff pre-warning guests about the fans, however when the hotel is full we will not be able to move guests to other rooms. We do not get many complaints however I do accept that some people are lighter sleepers than others.
Guest Services

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stay here every time I go to Harrogate, it's a lovely hotel In a brilliant position.
The rooms are always comfortable and the food is always spot on. Yes ok maybe a few parts are a little dated but some of it was built in 1626! The detail in the architecture is wonderful, it is nice to spend some time in a hotel that has a history.
The staff are always helpful and to be honest I can't wait to my next visit...See you in a few weeks ! There are also stunning gardens to the side of the hotel, definately worth a trip if you have some free time

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lindsay 249
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am really pleased that you enjoy your stays at the hotel and that you like the history of the building and know how old it is.
The Crown is indeed situated across the road from the beautiful Valley Gardens which are well worth a visit, and if you keep walking through the gardens you eventually end up at RHS Harlow Carr Gardens where there is also a Betty's cafe. Next to the Crown is the historic Pump Rooms and the Mercer Gallery is about 100 yards further on.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have stayed in several hotels in Harrogate, including this one several years ago. Despite occupying one of the best locations in the town, it wasn't one of my better experiences. We booked with a few friends a night in, wonderful Harrogate, and selected the Crown, I asked for a room with a large bed, no problem, I was told. Arrived at the hotel as was told we had been upgraded, very nice I thought, room 326, bigger room, Queen size bed, not a King size, was told they only had 4 rooms with big beds, clearly we missed out. The Hotel looked faded, but ok, the room long entrance hall, in the room, large bath room, lino flooring, a reasonable attempt at upgrading the bathroom, however, there is a tiny sink with a glass shelf next to it, the only other "shelf" was the window ledge. no shampoo but soap is by way of a dispenser, the only problem the soap dispenser in the bath is so high up you either have to try to fill your hand with enough liquid soap before immersion or get out of the bath for more later. The water was lukewarm at its hottest. We arrived late afternoon dropped off the bags went out not returning until after midnight, after ablutions flushed the toilet and it continually flushed until we left the following morning. The room was a mixture of styles with a wardrobe, inside was an ironing board which we had to park outside to get the clothes in, bed was as uncomfortable as any I have slept in it was like a board on springs I got in at one side up my wife went at the other, as I tossed and turned through the night my wife felt as though she was on a roller coaster.
Breakfast in the large dining room was very good, an excellent selection, however, be careful with the toaster I put in 2 slices and then I came back someone had stolen one of the slices, I asked the management if there was a stop and search policy but they said sadly no.
I asked the management about the toilet flushing and he said some of the rooms have a plumbing problem, no mention of a little discount to make up for my miserable night.
Would I stay here again, possibly not unless I had to.

Room Tip: View the room before committing to staying
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Yorkshiregolfnut
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I note that you liked some aspects of your stay but not others.
The room you stayed in, 236, is an executive double room and quite a popular one as the bathroom has not only a bath with shower, but also a separate power shower. There is liquid soap over the sink, and shampoo and shower gel over the bath as well as in the power shower. I am sorry that the toilet flush became stuck during your stay but this happens on occasion and is easily fixed once maintenance are alerted.
I am also sorry that your bed was uncomfortable however we are looking to replace some double beds this year with king sized.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast but rather dismayed that another guest stole your toast. We do rely on guests to be honest and treat others with respect but sadly this isn't always the case and lo your toast vanished!
I do hope however that if you visit Harrogate in the future, you do stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having stopped here on business I took the opportunity to visit again with my wife, unfortunately the bed was so uncomfortable it was a waste of a weekend. This has got to be the first hotel I have ever visited when n-ne seems bothered about "how your stay was", save some money and go to the premier inn, at least they have a good night guarantee.

Dear john E
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you found the bed uncomfortable. You do not enlarge upon your observation so I am not sure whether it was the mattress that wasn't to your liking or that you would have preferred a bigger bed. Some guests like our beds, and others don't, so it is down to personal preference and what you are used to however we are looking to replace some double beds this year with king sized.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I booked this hotel through Thorpe park for my daughter and her partner on arrival they were asked for a £70 security deposit for the room that was already fully paid for a week in advanced and no mention of this at the time as they are a young couple this was a lot out of their budget they left the room exactly how they were given it good clean condition yet a week later there is no explanation or refund of there hard earned money I'm utterly disgusted at there attitude towards there younger clientele ( hard working early 20s ) whom im sure are a lot of thre custom as thorpe park recommend I personally would not use them again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Brian Moody J
You have reviewed the wrong Crown Hotel. Your reference to Thorpe Park leads me to believe that your daughter and partner stayed at The Crown Hotel Chertsey in Surrey, just a few miles away from Thorpe Park. Our Crown Hotel is in Harrogate, over 200 miles away!
Never mind, we have Lightwater Valley just up the road so perhaps your daughter ought to give this Crown Hotel a try!!!! We do great breakfasts, clean rooms, we welcome the younger clientele and Harrogate is a beautiful town.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We booked a last minute stay at the Crown Hotel for Staurday 19th April, using their own website and asking for a Double Room overlooking the front of the hotel We were charged £89 Advance Purchase for B&B. Now I appreciate that there appear to be some mixed reviews, howver, upon arriving at the Hotel, it becomes apparent it is in a fantastis location, it looks superb and yes whilst parking may be a bit awkward, we managed to secure a spot in the Hotel Car Park even with a Wedding taking place! Staff in Reception were very helpful, especially Sarah and Amy, and we were made to feel welcome and they also confirmed that our Special Request had been sorted for us. As our room wasnt quite ready, we decided to have a walk around Harrogate and proceeded to spend a fantastic afternoon shopping, eating and having a few social drinks before returning to the Crown to Check In. We had Room 120, and again Sarah was extremely helpful and updated us with all relevant information needed. This room is massive, with fantastic Floor to Ceiling Windows and yes it does have squeeky floor boards but this did not detract from our stay. In the evening we decided to eat out at Luigi's which again was not only a lovely family run restaurant but also very close to the Hotel and good value. Now, as my wife was a little poorly we decided to call it a night about 10.00pm, and upon returning to the hotel, the only criticism I can make was that a group of smokers from the Wedding party clearly thought it was acceptable to lean against my car and flick ash all over it!!! A quiet word from myself ensued and it quickly stopped, but just to make sure I spoke with Amy on reception and she sorted out with the Duty Manager to make sure it didnt happen again! That aside, even though the Wedding was on, it went quiet just before midnight and we had a lovely nights sleep on their very comfortable bed. Breakfast was lovely, hot and with a great choice, and we even secured a late check out which was kindly organised by Sarah, again a lovely lady who is a credit to the Crown Hotel. All in all, we will return to Harrogate and will definitely stay at the Crown Hotel again, in fact next time we will probably bring the whole family to experience its delights.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 120, very clean, and can only be described as massive with fantastic views overloo...
1  Thank BigArms74

Dear BigArms74
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you recieved eggcellent customer service from Amy and Sarah, in particular, especially when she gave you your Easter egg. All guests who stayed here over the bank holiday weekend had a gift from the same Easter Bunny!
If guests make special requests on booking, as you did, we do our best to make sure that these are acted upon and I am pleased that you liked your room overlooking the beautiful Jubilee Roundabout. And lucky you to get a parking space at the hotel even with a wedding taking place!
I am glad too that you enjoyed your breakfast in the morning and that you were able to stay a little longer, again arranged by reception and the lovely Sarah.
You appear to have had a great stay here and in Harrogate and I, and I am sure the reception team, look forward to welcoming you and your family back again.