“Good Value Conference Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good Value Conference Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel is right on the doorstep of the Harrogate Conference centre so it is perfect for that venue. It is a traditional hotel and you can tell most of their custom is with conference attendees but that is no bad thing. A large comfortable lobby with plenty of newspapers awaits if you get behind a large group.
My room was basic but clean and comfortable. I could not grumble at the 380 price at peak season. Breakfast is served in the rather grand antiquating room and this they do very well. The staff are helpful and pleasent.

Room Tip: Try to Grab a Forecourt Parking Space. They are scarce yet free for the length of your stay
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Gerad B
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you felt the hotel was good value for money and that it met your needs.
I have passed your comments about the cleanliness of the rooms to the Head Housekeeper as she is very particular about this and I have mentioned to our General Manager your observations on the friendliness of the staff.
I hope that should attend another conference in Harrogate you stay with us again.
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Yeovil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Whilst attending a wedding here recently I experienced really bad customer service.
After the food had been served, I went to try and get some drinks for myself and my table. There was a fair walk down the corridor to get to the bar and after ordering a round I asked if there was a tray I could borrow to be told that: yes there was but it was the only one she had so I couldn't use it.
Friends we were with had booked a room and on arrival wanted somewhere to just quickly change into their wedding gear. Their room wasn't ready which was understandable but when they asked for somewhere they could go they were told to go into the toilets.
The only saving grace was the girl serving our table, didn't catch her name but she was petite and had her hair in plaits. She was charming and gracious and went above and beyond for us!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bellastartle
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Bellastartle
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you found our staff unhelpful. I have spoken to both the Food and Beverage Manager and the Reception Manager concerning the customer service you recieved as this is not the standard we expect from the staff.
The girl you praised as "going over and above" is called Kim and I have passed your comment to her.
Should you return to the hotel in the future, I am confident that you will find that all our staff are helpful and attentive.
Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Large impressive building in a prominent easily reached central position. No space in car park. Carpets in foyer a bit smelly. Reception and all other staff foreign, not a Yorkshire burr anywhere. Room clean, spacious with very nice bathroom and shower. Bed was well made but of cheap material, I expect pocket sprung mattresses. A good night sleep though as it was QUIET.
Evening bar was expensive but the tea in the bistro was hot, fresh and served by helpful young chap.
Will I go again? Probably.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Malcolm1973
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you mostly enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
While we do have quite a few members of staff from overseas, we also have quite a lot of English staff, some of which are from Harrogate though I will say that they haven't got much of a Yorkshire burr! The young chap that served your tea in the bistro is a Yorkshire lad.
I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper about the carpet in the reception area and she will ensure that it is refreshed and clean.
The car park is limited and once it is full we are more than happy to advise guests on the best places to park.
We are looking to refurbish some of our rooms this year and new king sized beds are at the top of the list.
On the plus side I am pleased that you liked your spacious room and that you got a good night's sleep.
I do hope that you stay with us again and that you have an enjoyable time.
Dereham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Crown was the base for most of our family and the reception for our daughters wedding..The rooms were lovely ,the food excellent, the staff very helpful and friendly and the organisation of the reception superb.
Only negative was the double beds when many hotels have king size nowadays.
I would highly recommend this hotel for a holiday or a wedding .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ROsey532014
Dear ROsey532014
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your daughter's wedding went well. Our staff work hard to make it a very special day for the bride and groom and it is always nice to know that the families of the couple enjoyed the day.
We are looking at refurbishing some of the bedrooms this year and we will be replacing the double beds with king-sized as this seems to be the norm in most homes now and guests expect larger beds when they go away.
Thank you for recommending us and I do hope that if you visit Harrogate in the future, you stay with us again.
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed about 3 years ago and it was an absolutly pleasure, we were welcomed for a lovely receptionist that speak our language (french) and she even speak other language as we are a group of spanish and germans, it was a real pleasure to stay in a place that they provided skilled staff that speak several language and the services was absolutly fab, she even arrange a meeting with the chef as we loved the food on the restaurant...

We had been about a month ago and we find that nobody speak our mother tonge, the reception was messy full of papers the receptionist was rude, we ask her to give us the same room where we stayed last time she say that she didn't even know how the system work to know when we stayed last, the food it wasn't as good as it used to be, the spoke with the head receptionist or supervisor and we ask if she go someone that speak our language so we can have a better service and she looked upset about us asking for a better service than the one we were offered, totally understand that the lovely staff that were last time aren't there any more with this new rude staff... definitely you need to think in having more trained staff that speak several language and know how to use your own check-in system.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Marie F
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us this time.
It is unfortunate that no-one at The Crown can speak French as there are quite a few nationalities amongst the hotel's employees: Lithuanian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Slovakian, Filipino, Indian, South African.......everything but French it seems. Although it is an advantage to speak French or German it is not a prerequisite to getting a job at the hotel, and to be honest we do not get very many French people in Harrogate. If the hotel was situated in London then it may be a different matter.
I am sorry that you thought the receptionist was rude as this is not the standard of service we expect from our staff and some re-training in customer care and how to use our system is in order.
I am surprised that you didn't like the food as we have a new Head Chef who is very talented and who recieves many compliments for the food he sends from his kitchen.
wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

stayed here for the Harrogate flower show big bedrooms and nice and clean comfy beds and towels hotel is very central for shopping hotel is very clean and the food evening meals was good breakfast was really good you had a great choice and the breakfast dinning room was very grand I would stay here again and would recommend it to anybody for a weekend away

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear nifty50wigan
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend others to stay.
I have passed on your comments about the cleanliness of the room and towels to the Head Housekeeper as she is always pleased when the hard work of her staff is noticed and commented on. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast which the chefs are rightly proud of.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here on business and found it very good overall. Good location, car parking, very nice food, good bars, clean room, warm but a bit tired. Would definitely stay again if visiting the frozen North

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear HAR225
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you liked the hotel and that you would stay with us again.
I am also pleased that you found the hotel clean and warm (a must up here in the Arctic) and that you enjoyed the food - we have a very talented Head Chef and kitchen team.
We are looking to refurbish some bedrooms later on this year as it has been a few years since they were last done. Hopefully if you do stay again this will be underway.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.