“Thank you!!!!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I held my wedding here on Friday 8th August and I had an absolutely amazing day.
Everything was perfect and all the staff were extremely polite and so helpful! I have to give an extra thank you to Marcin? I think this was his name, as without him It wouldn't have been the perfect day that it was. He went above and beyond and I can't even begin to express my gratitude toward him and the rest of the staff!
If anything it was a few of my evening guests that took the hotel and staff for granted and I'm very sorry for the mess that I have since found out about that was left over. Not once did any member of staff bother either myself or my husband with anything and they were so polite with everything.

The food was delicious, hot and all served with no waiting at all. All the guests commented on how lovely it was too.

We stayed in executive suite 130 and the suite was absolutely beautiful, luxurious and spacious, it was very clean and the bed was very comfy. I can't believe how big the bathroom was!

The only negative things I can say about my stay are that the room keys kept deactivating and there is a bit of an issue with parking but neither of these made a huge impact on my stay and I can only once again say thank you, thank you so much to all the wonderful staff for making our perfect day absolutely amazing! I would highly recommend The Crown for weddings and most definitely suite 130!

• Stayed: August 2014
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Dear HayElvis
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your wedding day here at The Crown and that the staff went above and beyond to ensure that your day was perfect.
I have put your review on our staff notice board so that everyone can read how highly you regarded them and their work, and I relayed to Marcin the special mention he received from you and he was delighted.
The key cards deactivating does occur from time to time and it can be a nuisance for guests to have to come to reception to get them re-programmed. It happens usually because the key cards are kept near mobile phones which wipe them but I am glad it didn't impact too greatly on your day.
Once again thank you for your comments and for recommending the hotel to others.
Jo Stockwell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed on Friday and Saturday night at this hotel and was thoroughly impressed.
On arrival the hotel has a lovely entrance and reception area. Sadly, we didn't receive the most warm welcome from the receptionist who seemed very nonchalent. However, everything else was perfect. The remainder of the staff were attentive and helpful.

I had ordered a bottle of white wine for the room on arrival, but was given red. They were very accomodating and quickly changed it for me as well.

We went out on the first night and came back to a wedding being held in the hotel. Our initial thought was that it was going to be very noisy. But it was very quiet and lovely environment to have a relaxing weekend away in.

We were a last minute booking and were told it was a small room! Small? There was plenty of room for us.

Yesterday we ate in the bar which was rapid service and tasty food. Really impressed.

Room Tip: Wifi isn't the fastest
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Hannah P
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel impressive.
I am sorry that the receptionist was offhand and I have passed your comments to the Reception Manager as this is not the standard of service expected by the hotel.
I am pleased however that you found your "small" bedroom larger than expected and also that you were not disturbed by the wedding noise.
I have also passed your comments about the food to our Head Chef who was delighted that you enjoyed what you ate in the Place.
I hope that should you return to Harrogate in the future you stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed 5 nights at the Crown, having chosen it because it is near the centre of Harrogate, and reviews were mainly good. We travelled to Harrogate by train so did not have the problem of parking, as the hotel has limited parking spaces, but it does warn customers about this. Our room was ideal, on the first floor looking out at the front over the colourfully planted roundabout towards the park. It was great for watching people going about, it was not too noisy, and got the sun for most of the day. The interior of the hotel was full of character with ornate ceilings, wood panelled walls etc. the bistro "The Place" had a good choice of meals for vegetarians, and was a pleasant dining experience. Breakfast was the usual hotel buffet style with plenty of choice and helpful staff.
We have stayed in a few hotels in Harrogate, and if returning we will definitely choose the Crown, hopefully with the same room.

Room Tip: A lot of rooms look out to the back with no view, the rooms at the front, such as we had are the bes...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Stewart H
Thank you for taking time to write a review and for the positive comments you made about both the hotel and the staff. which I have passed to the relevant departments.
With the Crown being a town centre hotel and within walking distance to all the many attractions, it is ideal for guests to travel to Harrogate by train and explore the town on foot. No need for car parking!
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and should you book directly with our reservations team please ask them if they can allocate the same room you had this stay and they will do their best to accommodate your request.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed here for almost 4 weeks during the "International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival". The hotel has a charming atmosphere, with enormously friendly and attentive staff ranging from the cleaning staff to reception and management staff. Its truly home from home.
The hotel offers a large variety of differently sized Victorian function rooms (including the Victoria Hall with a fully equipped stage) and (very limited) valuable car parking which is a valuable commodity in Harrogate :).Car parking is available in front of the hotel and bleow in a small side enclosure.
Perfect location: 3 minutes on foot to the Royal Hall, 5 minutes uphill to the Harrogate Theatre and the central pedestrian area, 5 minutes to the adorable Valley Gardens.
Breakfast consists of a scrumptious buffet of hot and cold dishes including cheese and cold meats, yoghurt, cereal, etc. and fresh fruit.
Laundry and dry cleaning services are available but VERY expensive (it might be cheaper to buy new items than getting them washed :))
My room was very comfortable, well appointed with flatscreen and FREE broadband (in the entire hotel), hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea/coffee making facilities. Bed was equally comfortable though a trifle too soft for my liking.
Nicely appointed bathroom with the usual complimentary shampoos and bath lotions.
All in all an extremely pleasurable stay and I am sure I'll stay here also next year for the 22nd Gilbert & Sullivan Festival.

Room Tip: Weekends can be very busy with weddings.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Gert V
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay with us during the Gilbert and Sullivan Festival.
I have passed on your comments to the various departments as I know the staff appreciate acknowledgement of their hard work.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the next Gilbert and Sullivan Festival in August next year and hope your stay is as enjoyable.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

booked a executive room but when we arrived i queried the fact that we hadnt a fridge and was told that only executive rooms had fridges, and that we were in a standard room, but i had been quoted for executive room when i booked, the room was dull, dreary, and a large cobweb was hanging from the ceiling, breakfast was just as bad, had booked for a week, but decided to leave after 4 days, after giving them 48 hrs notice and they had the cheek to try and charge me for an executive room after much discussion i had to pay for 125 for 2 nights at weekend and £99 for 2 week nights, the only good thing about the hotel was the location, nobody seemed to care what was happening it is about 30 years behind badly in need of a complete overhaul, would never recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: dont imagine there is a good room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAOIMHE1966

Dear CAOIMHE1966
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
As the hotel does not have executive twin rooms you were allocated a standard twin for your week's stay the rate for which, on a busy Friday and Saturday night, is correct and what you were charged for those two days. The Senior Receptionist then adjusted the rate for the rest of your stay which again was correct for a standard twin. What you were quoted when you originally booked was certainly not the rate for an executive (double) room which is between £139 and £179 a night.
I am sorry that you didn't like the bedroom however we are looking to refurbish them later on in the year. I have passed your comment about the cobweb to the Head Housekeeper to investigate.
I am also surprised that you didn't like our breakfasts which are universally praised by guests but as you have not gone into detail as to what exactly you didn't like I cannot comment further.
I am sorry you won't be coming back for a return visit.
Regards

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Although this hotel is in a great location, and clearly has some history to it; unfortunately too many simple basics have also been left in the past. It's like stepping into a time capsule.

The room was drab and stuffy, with wallpaper peeling off in places and mould growing in the grout on the bathroom tiles. The shower is just a wall-mounted shower attachment to the bath mixer taps, and it's been done cheaply as the shower head was so low it only hit me at chest-height. Some of the walls in public areas also had signs of damp and water staining.

Iron & ironing board were provided. However the ironing board was far past its' best, and the iron was so old it just constantly leaked water & was of no use at all. My mum had an identical iron about 15 years ago!

The wifi is complimentary - which it should be; as its so slow my 3G connection was quicker.

It was without doubt the most uncomfortable nights' sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The mattress was lumpy, hard and old, and the pillows were so hard that I ended up resting my head on my hands - it was more comfortable!

I booked this hotel via a comparison site, and the advertised price was £80.01 which was payable in advance. However when I checked in, I noticed that the price on my booking sheet behind reception was £60.01. I asked the reception girl for a copy of what I'd just seen, but she refused. Looks like I've been had - by either the hotel or the comparison site that they work with.

Either way I will definitely not be returning there again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear Mike H
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you won't be returning to the hotel in the future.
We are looking to refurbish the bedrooms later on in the year and to bring them up to date however I have passed your comments about the grouting to the Head Housekeeper for her to investigate and remedy. The shower head is adjustable so guests who are fairly tall are able to alter the height of the shower head to suit their needs - the adjuster is on the side of the hose.
I am sorry you found the mattress uncomfortable however we have started a programme to change all the beds in the hotel. This also applies to the irons in the bedrooms which are being replaced with new ones where required.
It is always cheaper to book a room direct with the hotel as we do have to pay commission to third party web sites as do all other hotels. Once again I am sorry you won't be staying with us again
Regards

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The location is ideal and some of the public areas are elegant. Staff were polite. However our 'superior' room was hardly luxurious. It was a reasonable size but drab. Wine and chocolates were provided as advertised, but there was only one bathrobe. We had no drawers - just inadequate hanging spaces in the wardrobe. The bathroom was small with no separate shower. The shower over the bath was awkard to operate and there was mould on the tiles. We asked for and got two fans as the room was stuffy. From the room above we could hear every creaking step, plus the baby crying and the poor parents doing their best to console it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear EllieD0303
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that you thought the hotel in an ideal location and the staff polite.
I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper about the grouting in the bathroom which has now been remedied and is not the standard she expects from her staff, and also about there being only one bathrobe in the room for which she apologises.
I am sorry that you didn't find the executive room luxurious however we are looking to refurbish the bedrooms later on in the year starting with the superior doubles. We only have 3 rooms with a separate shower and bath and 2 of those rooms are the executive suites, however we do have several rooms that only have a shower. As the hotel is 300 years old every room is different in size. Some have large bedrooms and a small bathroom while in others the bedroom is small but the bathroom huge. This I believe, is part of the charm of the hotel.