“great location, welcoming staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Scotland
“great location, welcoming staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

I had a single room on the first floor. Freshly decorated and spotlessly clean. I might have slept well except for some idiots outside my door shouting at 4am. Fabulous buffet breakfast, I prefer self-service as it is here as I get up at the last minute so I can't wait for something to be prepared. I had a generous-portioned meal in the Bistro, but the central location of the hotel means you only have to walk outside and you have a wide choice of eateries. Parking is limited, however, unless you're lucky to get one of the few spaces front or back of the hotel. The two things that made my stay memorable were the staff - polite, welcoming and helpful - and the fact that there was a jive night in the ballroom, apparently most Monday nights. This was a coincidence as I was away from my home in Scotland where I have a jive class every Monday night, and I was going to miss it, or so I thought. I had a great evening. Highly recommended hotel. Look around on third party internet booking sites for the best rates, then call the hotel direct and negotiate on price. .

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

We stayed here as we were going for a meal in Harroagte with friends. Recption were warm and welcoming and our room was lovely we had twin beds and the only slight down side was I felt the twin bed were a bit small, we'd booked a bit late so there weren't any doubles avaliable (I did managed to roll out of mine onto the floor at one point). But that was a minor point for me, the room was clean with great facilities. Breakfast was fantastic with a great range of continental and British options.

The location is perfect for a night out in Harrogate and I would happily recomend this to anyone who wants a night out in Harrogate.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

We spent the Christmas period with my elderly parents at this lovely hotel in Harrogate.

All the staff particularly in the excellent Brasserie attached to the hotel were superb, full of efficiency and initiative!

Any requests which were made beforehand especially in regard to my elderly parents were dealt with.

I would certainly recommend this hotel if you were wanting to visit Harrogate as it is very central and the excellent breakfast certainly set us off to a good start to walking round this beautiful town.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

We have just stayed 2 nights in this lovely hotel . The rooms were a good size and very clean and well presented. The staff were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is in a good location in the city. We have stayed in many various UK hotels since Nov. 2010 and can highly recommend the breakfast. The sausages actually tasted like sausages and the free-range eggs were delicious. This lovely old hotel has been very tastefully re-decorated and oozes charm. We thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
cressington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

hotel was lovely bedroom very nice except for the bed it was a double room but the bed was not.we had 2 restless nights . if we stay again we would book a twin.the other thing was the party in the churchill suite the dj played awful music no middle of the road just boom boom boom. iasked the manager if they could play some music we could have a dance to,but the dj ignored this. had the carvery meat cold potatoes hard no gravy which some people complained about,finally brought some to the table, by this time we had finished our meal, i would stay at the hotel again ,but not the new years party.was not worth the money.very disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

Stayed overnight with my wife and another couple as part of a short break between xmas and the new year.Booked through laterooms and got a good deal on a b&b basis.
If you have never been to Harrogate you must go - a town with many historical buildings, great architecture and lots to see and do.
We have been many times as day visitors and chose the Crown as we liked its central location, imposing building and facade, and the reviews that it received.
We weren't dissappointed., the staff are very polite and helpful, the public areas are very clean and grand. Our room didnt have much of a view but was large, clean and had all that one wants for a short break. Modern bathroom fitments, flat screen tv, etc.
Yes the room floorboards creaked, but as someone else pointed out in a previous review, the hotel is very old and does have some history. Dont let this small point put you off.
We ate out at night and later called into the lovely hotel bar area where it is very modern and cosy. You can eat here and I think next time we stay we will as the menu and deals looked inviting.
Parking can be an issue, we just parked in a 3hour bay on a nearby street = £3 for 3 hours, then I moved it into a space at the rear of the hotel when one became vacant. If you dont get a space the town centre bays are free overnight until 8am so all is not lost.
Give the Crown a go, you wont regret it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

We stayed here on December 27/28, while visiting family in Harrogate. Our experience was outstanding, very comfortable, quiet and a superb breakfast. Given that we received a very good late booking rate, made the stay even more satisfactory.

We know Harrogate is a lovely place to visit, and The Crown Hotel proved a perfect short stay for us- we'll be back!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple