“Good location, terrible food”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Good location, terrible food”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I chose to stay at the Cairn Hotel because it was listed as 'dog friendly'. However, I learned upon arrival that my dog was only allowed in the room and on the grounds outside the building. She was not allowed to be with me in the lobby area so that I could socialise with other guests. As a result I did have to spend most of my time in the hotel room, which was inconvenient.
However, the hotel is an excellent location for walking to the Valley Gardens and a short drive to the Victoria Shopping Centre, West Park and the Stray. It is well situated for visiting neighbouring towns of Skipton, Ripon and Knaresborough, which we both enjoyed immensley.
Unfortunately the hotel food can only be described as dismal. The carvery pork was so tough I had to cut it up and have it wrapped to give to the dog. The buffet breakfast was so dried out it was practically inedible. The 2nd day I tried an omelette instead, but somehow they managed to make this from some kind of rubber product.
I am not sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There is only one lift but three floors of rooms. Unless you like walking up flights of stairs you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank backinbritain
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Although we do allow guests to have dogs to stay in there bedrooms we do unfortunately have to limit where animals are allowed to be in the public areas to ensure comfort for everyone staying at the hotel.
I do hope you will come and try us again in the future and I am very sorry that you did not have a happy stay this time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Thai first
Alicante
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Very shabby hotel in a good location for Harrogate.

Never stayed in such a run down room, various bits of carpet held together by black sticky tape.
Sleep is very difficult due to the non stop racket of creaking floorboards from every direction.
Pubic hairs found in the bath.
The 20 year old 14" TV has some channels that you can just about make out.

On a positive note the biscuits in the room are fabulous .....

No doubt the management will reply that these areas are due for "refurbishment" but there is no excuse for the low standard of the rooms. Probably have been an idea to make a start on it 15 years ago.

The hotel inspector would have a field day.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank buwdiful
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The Cairn Hotel has always had a reputation for being one of the most charming and friendly hotels in Harrogate and I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case during your stay.
I do hope you will try us again in the future and again please accept my apologies you were not satisfied this time.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here just for one night on 31st August. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The decor of the room we stayed in was a little tired but it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast is buffet style and the choice is good. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gill P
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was very happy to read that you will hopefully be coming to stay with us again.
We are extremely proud of our friendly and helpful staff and our hearty Yorkshire breakfast always sets our guests up for the day.
We look forward to welcoming your family and friends too.
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

A really comfortable room and excellent value make this one of our favourite hotels. It is a great place to relax, and the food, both at dinner and breakfast, is very good. The hotel has a traditional charm which more modern establishments struggle to match. It is dog friendly - at £10 per night, and is highly recommended especially on one of the many bargain breaks available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
I was very pleased to read that you had a relaxing stay with us and that your room, our service and food helped you to have an enjoyable time.
I hope we will continue to be one of your favourite hotels and that you will be back to see us again very soon.
Many thanks
Stockport
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Its a shame because when I first stayed here on business over 25 years ago , the Cairn was definitely up there with some of the best in the town. I stayed in a 'Superior' double for £95 including breakfast. The Room was tiny in my opinion and the walkways are definitely in need of refurbishment as are many other parts of the hotel.

The staff are really nice and helpful so the hotel scores highly there. The breakfast was also quite nice and a great location for the shops, bars and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as you had on previous visits.
We are about to start a refurbishment programme which will include our corridors and public areas and I'm sure if you visit us again the future you will notice a difference in these areas.
Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, the breakfast and the location.
We really hope to see you again.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have just returned from what must be our 5th or 6th stay at The Cairn. There will be many more stays as we absolutely love this place. It's the perfect destination for a relaxing long weekend break. At a 5 minute walk from the town centre, the location couldn't be much better. The grounds are peaceful, with ample parking and the staff always pleasant and helpful. Food is good, especially breakfast, and the average price per night represents outstanding value. But the real selling point for us is the tangible sense of period and history from this once grand Victorian spa hotel. The original fixtures, fittings and decor, almost unchanged since it's heyday, engenders a sense of romantic slightly faded grandeur. The solid marble pillars in the grand entrance, antique stained glass, deco and nouveau light shades and detail, add up to the sort of old fashioned hotel experience sadly disappearing amidst the headlong rush to boutique and bijou. I've seen it written that there is a dated feel to The Cairn. True; some of the carpets and furniture are a little frayed and tired, but my plea would be don't ever change and modernise. A trip to The Cairn is also a trip back in time to the golden age of grand hotels and I wouldn't have it any other way!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I was extremely pleased to read your comments about the style of hotel and I do agree that it would be a shame to change any of the original features as I think that's what makes us stand out.
I will ensure every single one of my team reads your wonderful comments and we can't wait to have you back for your 7th visit.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here in a family room for one night. First impression is of a great hotel but in need of a bit of TLC. Having said that it suited us fine for one night & they allow dogs which is a bonus. The room we had was large & clean but bathroom was a bit dated & the view was dreadful but that didn't matter for one night. Staff are very friendly & helpful. Breakfast was very good. Five minutes walk from town centre but the walk back is uphill so not for people with mobility issues. All in all a pleasant stay at a bargain price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for writing a review.
It was lovely to read that you enjoyed your first time with us.
I'm sorry that your room didn't have a very good view, with have lots of rooms with beautiful views of harrogate town and others with views out as far as skipton and beyond, hopefully when you come and visit us the next time we can ensure you get one of these rooms.
Thank you for your comments regarding the staff and breakfast I will ensure these are passed on to all concerned.
We look forward to seeing you again.