“Better than 3*” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
edinburgh
“Better than 3*”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Reading some of the previous negative postings, one would question if the people posting the comments had actually stayed at this gem of a hotel or were indeed just serial complainers.

Visited here for the weekend. I found the hotel and staff to be very charming indeed. The hotel is a 3* and in my opinion is worthy of a higher rating. Value for money, definitely. The hotel is older style. My room was clean and comfortable. As for the previous negative posting about creaking floorboards, I didn't find that an issue to be honest. Slept like a log. Breakfast is excellent with a great choice. Also ate at the hotel in the evening and I also found this to be of a high standard and good quality.

If you like character, great service, good food in a great location, well this one does it for me. Happily return here when in Harrogate...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank stene
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I am so pleased you like that the hotel has a lot of character, very friendly staff and good hearty Yorkshire food.
I have passed on your comments to all my team and we hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Thai first
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a nice hotel with a spacious welcoming reception area and friendly helpful staff.There is a large car park with plenty of spaces.The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of the centre of Harrogate,including Betty"s Tearooms.Our room was very well appointed and comfortable.We had the 3 course set evening meal taken in a spacious and comfortable dining room.This was very good value with a varied selection;also included was a complimentary tea or coffee in the lounge.The total £21-95 each.
It was nice not to be overcharged for drinks,a pint of Theakston"s bitter was £3-40.
Breakfast was buffet style with lots of choices and enough of everything.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frank p
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy that you found the hotel comfortable and enjoyed the meals that you had with us. I hope you will be back to visit us again very soon.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I chose to stay at the Cairn Hotel because it was listed as 'dog friendly'. However, I learned upon arrival that my dog was only allowed in the room and on the grounds outside the building. She was not allowed to be with me in the lobby area so that I could socialise with other guests. As a result I did have to spend most of my time in the hotel room, which was inconvenient.
However, the hotel is an excellent location for walking to the Valley Gardens and a short drive to the Victoria Shopping Centre, West Park and the Stray. It is well situated for visiting neighbouring towns of Skipton, Ripon and Knaresborough, which we both enjoyed immensley.
Unfortunately the hotel food can only be described as dismal. The carvery pork was so tough I had to cut it up and have it wrapped to give to the dog. The buffet breakfast was so dried out it was practically inedible. The 2nd day I tried an omelette instead, but somehow they managed to make this from some kind of rubber product.
I am not sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There is only one lift but three floors of rooms. Unless you like walking up flights of stairs you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank backinbritain
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Although we do allow guests to have dogs to stay in there bedrooms we do unfortunately have to limit where animals are allowed to be in the public areas to ensure comfort for everyone staying at the hotel.
I do hope you will come and try us again in the future and I am very sorry that you did not have a happy stay this time.
Alicante
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Very shabby hotel in a good location for Harrogate.

Never stayed in such a run down room, various bits of carpet held together by black sticky tape.
Sleep is very difficult due to the non stop racket of creaking floorboards from every direction.
Pubic hairs found in the bath.
The 20 year old 14" TV has some channels that you can just about make out.

On a positive note the biscuits in the room are fabulous .....

No doubt the management will reply that these areas are due for "refurbishment" but there is no excuse for the low standard of the rooms. Probably have been an idea to make a start on it 15 years ago.

The hotel inspector would have a field day.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank buwdiful
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The Cairn Hotel has always had a reputation for being one of the most charming and friendly hotels in Harrogate and I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case during your stay.
I do hope you will try us again in the future and again please accept my apologies you were not satisfied this time.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here just for one night on 31st August. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The decor of the room we stayed in was a little tired but it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast is buffet style and the choice is good. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gill P
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was very happy to read that you will hopefully be coming to stay with us again.
We are extremely proud of our friendly and helpful staff and our hearty Yorkshire breakfast always sets our guests up for the day.
We look forward to welcoming your family and friends too.
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

A really comfortable room and excellent value make this one of our favourite hotels. It is a great place to relax, and the food, both at dinner and breakfast, is very good. The hotel has a traditional charm which more modern establishments struggle to match. It is dog friendly - at £10 per night, and is highly recommended especially on one of the many bargain breaks available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
I was very pleased to read that you had a relaxing stay with us and that your room, our service and food helped you to have an enjoyable time.
I hope we will continue to be one of your favourite hotels and that you will be back to see us again very soon.
Many thanks
Stockport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Its a shame because when I first stayed here on business over 25 years ago , the Cairn was definitely up there with some of the best in the town. I stayed in a 'Superior' double for £95 including breakfast. The Room was tiny in my opinion and the walkways are definitely in need of refurbishment as are many other parts of the hotel.

The staff are really nice and helpful so the hotel scores highly there. The breakfast was also quite nice and a great location for the shops, bars and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as you had on previous visits.
We are about to start a refurbishment programme which will include our corridors and public areas and I'm sure if you visit us again the future you will notice a difference in these areas.
Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, the breakfast and the location.
We really hope to see you again.