Cairn Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Kimberley Hotel(Harrogate)
The Crown Hotel(Harrogate)
View Hotel
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate(Harrogate)
1,578 results
All reviewscarvery styletown centregroupon deala large car parkthird floorsuperior roomlovely old hotelmain courselarge hotelevening mealreception areafire alarmbiscuitsold buildingreception staffsunday nightbit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here with a group of friends in January 2014. We have been here before, and knew what to expect, it is a large and imposing building, and they are gradually redecorating throughout, though many of the bedrooms are pretty average, they are clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a wonderful location, very handy for a short walk into town, and excellent value, the service was very good, with pleasant and helpful staff, and the food was also very good, for the 2 evening meals and breakfasts we had. I would also recommend the afternoon tea, which is ample for 2 people, with a cake stand loaded with delicious sandwiches, scones and cakes, and much better value than Betty's up the road!

Only one thing marred our stay, and that was cash going missing from one of our party's locked room during the evening. The hotel was informed, and they informed the police, but nothing could be proved. So do NOT leave any cash in your room, put it in the hotel safe, or simply keep it on you. I note from earlier reviews this has happened before, which is very upsetting and discourages you from returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you and your group enjoyed your stay with us again.
It is now 10 years since the group started coming to us and the feedback every year gets better and better.
We are so disappointed about the alleged incident, we have worked very closely with the police and spent a lot of time with them regarding this and have since been informed that it has happened in other hotels too which is such a shock.
We look forward to seeing you all again in January 2015 and if you would like to visit us again before that please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable 4 day visit to the Cairn.

This is a lovely old hotel which is currently being refurbished, The Guest area's and Dining room are massive, well decorated and spotlessly clean.

The staff need to be commended, everyone we came across were happy, friendly and extremely helpful.

The room we were allocated was well equipped and very clean, we were allocated this room at the back of the hotel and in the old part of the hotel as there was a big function taking place on the Saturday night which we were informed could be noisy.

That part of the hotel was still being refurbished and had no carpet down, only underlay but no complaints, the room was nice.

We were only dissatisfied with one thing, that being the main course served on the Friday and Sunday evening. Despite dining at 7.00pm the meal was only warm, far from hot with undercooked meat and vegetable's. This was not just commented upon by ourselves but also by other guests we spoke to. I did notify reception of this on the Saturday morning, Saturday evening did improve but back to normal on Sunday.

Other than that we were well satisfied, the hotel has a large car park with easy access into the hotel itself and is only a short walk into the centre of Harrogate.

Would we go back, not sure, the Hotel Yes, Dinner not certain..

Room Tip: We were at the back of the Hotel and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy that you enjoyed all of the hotel facilities and that the staff looked after you so well. After working at the hotel for 17 years I am very proud of all of them.
Myself, my head chef and restaurant manager were all very disappointed about your comments regarding your evening meals, they did not recall any issuses reported to them in the restaurant in the nights that you dined. All of our food is temperature checked and recorded before entering the restaurant and we certainly would not let any food leave the kitchen undercooked. We also do regular temperature checks throughout the evening of the food while on the carvery therefore I am so sorry that you found the food only warm. I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again. Our new carpet is all now laid and we just have a few more tweaks to make before the corridors are finished, I think you will like what you see.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here just before Christmas, and would definitely return! The reception hall is gorgeous, although the upper corridors could do with a bit of TLC. The room was very nice and the breakfast was fantastic! Having paid a very reasonable rate, I was extremely surprised at how close we were to the town centre. Just a 5/10 minute walk from Betty's!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning.
We have lots of special deals on throughout the year with lots of extra treats!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed on the 11th January for an event we come to every year at the hotel. Again, everything was fab :-) This is the 5th time I have stayed and it get's better each year. I noticed straight away the improvements they have been making to the hotel. With it being so large it takes a long time and a lot of money to renovate such an old building but they are doing their very best. The carpets in the hallways were new, so new you could smell them! They were in keeping with the style of the hotel and really soft underfoot :-) We were in a double room for one night which was spacious and had everything we needed. Although it was not one of the more expensive rooms, it was clean with fresh towels and clean bedding.
We had a dinner dance and meal to attend downstairs and the food was even better than last year. Attentive waiting on staff. Shame the bar wasn't open in the function room but no great hassle to nip out to the main bar.
Breakfast in the morning was lovely, again, although I missed being able to serve myself, purely because I love big breakfasts ha ha! I have seen previous comments people have made about the all you can eat, serve yourself breakfast and it being like school etc. I myself quite like it, especially after a long night of drinking and dancing and all you want to do is load you plate up with bacon egg and beans. However, I do see why the hotel have changed it slightly so that you are served your breakfast from the counter as this does make it more 'posh'. My other half requested some poached eggs from the waitress and these were brought over with fresh toas, tea and coffee. All in all, another great stay and look forward to next year.For all those people complaining about a tired hotel; look at the age of it, the size and the cost of doing it up. There are pictures and reviews on here that you can read before you arrive and the website clearly states they are mid renovations.
Good work guys :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
It was our pleasure to host your event again this year and we look forward to welcoming you all again next January.
As you mentioned the hotel is currently going through some refurbishment, which includes our corridors and Promenade Ballroom and I am pleased you were happy with the results you noticed.
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the food I will ensure our chef's sees your review.
If you would like to come back and see us before next years event, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel is tired and need of renovation which is reflected in the price. However I did not expect the window to bang in the slightest wind and wake me at 2am. The manager did not offer anything other than an apology but only after he had told me that there was nothing he could do as I failed to inform them at 2.30 in the morning! The hotel needs to renovate not only their property but also their staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
I would like to apologize most sincerely for the problems which you encountered during your stay with us and that you felt the duty manager did not handle your complaint properly.
I do hope that after our telephone discussion you are happy with outcome and I do hope the misunderstanding is now rectified.