“Excellent customer service.”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have stayed at The Cairn previously before Strathmore group took over. Standards have slipped we feel. The staff are attentive and friendly. I must thank Jackie for all her assistance. We stayed in the Crown Suite which was comfortable even if somewhat dated and in need of some Refurbishment.The quality and choice of food both breakfast and evening is poor. We had room service each day for breakfast, rather than a pot of tea it was a cup of Luke warm water and a teabag. No yoghurts or other fresh fruit available. The service staff were very polite. Evening meals are buffet style and limited in choice. It reminded us of a school lunch time. Having said all the negatives, we had a pleasant break and slept well in the comfy warm bed. Thank-you again to all the staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your lovely comments regarding our staff.
Having worked at the hotel and for strathmore hotels for nearly 18 years I am very disappointed to read that you feel the standards have slipped.
We are currently refurbishing all 3 corridors of the guest bedrooms plus some public areas on the ground floor to ensure we keep our standards high.
I have looked into issues you have raised regarding your tea/coffee and this has now been rectified. Fresh fruit, prunes etc are also available with natural yoghurt on our room service menu and in the restaurant.
I do hope you will visit us again and hopefully you will notice these improvements.
Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had a fantastic night out at the Cairn Abba night - the hotel itself is lovely with an impressive foyer and reception area and the ballroom we were seated in had recently been refurbished to a very high standard. The staff were very attentive, polite and professional and the food was excellent as well as being incredibly good value, you'd be hard pressed to find entertainment and a 3 course dinner with coffee for £30 anywhere else! The entertainment was great fun and the dance floor was soon full - and stayed that way throughout the night. Highly recommended and already looking to book for one of their other tribute nights - the accommodation packages also look good so, despite living fairly locally, we might even stay the night next time!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you enjoyed our 1st Tribute night, the night was indeed a sucess and the feedback has been fantastic, so much so that we have added 3 more tributes to our list!
We look forward to seeing you again hopefully at our next event if not before.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel with 10 friends. The hotel was very impressive upon arrival, infact, a beautiful 'oldy worldy' hotel. The room wasnt great and appeared a little cold but we were out for the day/evening so didnt think it would be an issue. We arrived back at night to find entertainment on which was great however hadnt been informed about it and it. We expressed this to staff and were aloud to enter the entertainment room where we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.Upon going to bed, we found the room to be so cold it felt damp. We complained to the night porter who did all that he could to make things better for us however, after spending that amount of money it really wasnt good enough (no fault of night porter). After having a sleepless night we went down to breakfast where we were met by a waiter who couldnt be bothered to show us to a table and just pointed and said sit where ever. We had no idea what to do next so just got up and helped ourselves to an average breakfast. I only got bacon knowing that I like to have bacon on toast ie toast and tea/coffee being brought to your table. After 10 mins I asked a waiter if we could have tea and toast then 15 mins later it came. The toast was freezing cold so I asked who I think was the head waiter if he could bring me hot toast as I had already had to get extra bacon as my first lot was cold. He said he would ask a waiter to bring it to me and I said could they bring it quite soon as my bacon would go cold again and his reply was that either the toast or bacon was going to go cold anyway whilst I was waiting for the other?????? When I got annoyed he looked at me as though I was asking the impossible and said OK!! For such a lovely looking hotel it really didnt live up to expectations and if we hadnt of paid on arrival, I would not have paid at all!!!!!!!! Once again, the night porter bent over backwards to help us so well done to him.

Room Tip: Not on the 3rd floor

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry that you were not impressed with the hotel and the facilities.
We did indeed have entertainment on at the weekend that was advertised as a tribute night and we have been taking bookings for this for many months. I am happy that when you joined you enjoyed it. I have passed on your comments to our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager regarding your breakfast experience so that they can investigate into your feedback as this is not our normal standard of service and we are usually complimented very highly on our breakfast and staff.
I will ensure the night porter on duty receives your compliments and we do hope you will try us again in the future. Please do ask on booking about our entertainment packages.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here on a hen night great location for harrogate and a lovely big free car park. Received a friendly welcome when we arrived and check in was easy. When I headed up to the room the corridors were musty smelling and paint was appealing off the ageing paint work. When I got to the room it was clean and pleasant and fine for what we had paid. At night we went to the abba night in the hotel the band was good and the food was ok but nothing to shout about. We asked them to turn on the heating and they laughed I told them I easnt joking it was freezing but it seemed to make difference and we sat there all might freezing. In the morning again breakfast was ok although after finding a table we were moved as the table we had sat at was reserved although when we left nobody had sat at them and breakfast had been packed away. We had to go on the hunt for butter and there seemed to be no sauce anywhere and the tea pot was an old metal one which when you pored it boiling water pored out at every angle. Oveall great location when visiting harrogate the hotel gives the impression that it was very grand at some point but has seen better days.

Room Tip: Pay for a better room

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you enjoyed your abbarettes evening this was our first tribute night and the feedback has been amazing, so much so that we have added on 3 more dates/acts.
I am sorry that you didn't find the extra butter at breakfast time this is located near our bread selection and the sauces at are situated near our hot carvery for collection with your cooked breakfast.
I do hope you will come and visit us again to see the developments of our ongoing refurbishment you really will notice a difference.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here with a group of friends in January 2014. We have been here before, and knew what to expect, it is a large and imposing building, and they are gradually redecorating throughout, though many of the bedrooms are pretty average, they are clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a wonderful location, very handy for a short walk into town, and excellent value, the service was very good, with pleasant and helpful staff, and the food was also very good, for the 2 evening meals and breakfasts we had. I would also recommend the afternoon tea, which is ample for 2 people, with a cake stand loaded with delicious sandwiches, scones and cakes, and much better value than Betty's up the road!

Only one thing marred our stay, and that was cash going missing from one of our party's locked room during the evening. The hotel was informed, and they informed the police, but nothing could be proved. So do NOT leave any cash in your room, put it in the hotel safe, or simply keep it on you. I note from earlier reviews this has happened before, which is very upsetting and discourages you from returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you and your group enjoyed your stay with us again.
It is now 10 years since the group started coming to us and the feedback every year gets better and better.
We are so disappointed about the alleged incident, we have worked very closely with the police and spent a lot of time with them regarding this and have since been informed that it has happened in other hotels too which is such a shock.
We look forward to seeing you all again in January 2015 and if you would like to visit us again before that please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable 4 day visit to the Cairn.

This is a lovely old hotel which is currently being refurbished, The Guest area's and Dining room are massive, well decorated and spotlessly clean.

The staff need to be commended, everyone we came across were happy, friendly and extremely helpful.

The room we were allocated was well equipped and very clean, we were allocated this room at the back of the hotel and in the old part of the hotel as there was a big function taking place on the Saturday night which we were informed could be noisy.

That part of the hotel was still being refurbished and had no carpet down, only underlay but no complaints, the room was nice.

We were only dissatisfied with one thing, that being the main course served on the Friday and Sunday evening. Despite dining at 7.00pm the meal was only warm, far from hot with undercooked meat and vegetable's. This was not just commented upon by ourselves but also by other guests we spoke to. I did notify reception of this on the Saturday morning, Saturday evening did improve but back to normal on Sunday.

Other than that we were well satisfied, the hotel has a large car park with easy access into the hotel itself and is only a short walk into the centre of Harrogate.

Would we go back, not sure, the Hotel Yes, Dinner not certain..

Room Tip: We were at the back of the Hotel and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy that you enjoyed all of the hotel facilities and that the staff looked after you so well. After working at the hotel for 17 years I am very proud of all of them.
Myself, my head chef and restaurant manager were all very disappointed about your comments regarding your evening meals, they did not recall any issuses reported to them in the restaurant in the nights that you dined. All of our food is temperature checked and recorded before entering the restaurant and we certainly would not let any food leave the kitchen undercooked. We also do regular temperature checks throughout the evening of the food while on the carvery therefore I am so sorry that you found the food only warm. I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again. Our new carpet is all now laid and we just have a few more tweaks to make before the corridors are finished, I think you will like what you see.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here just before Christmas, and would definitely return! The reception hall is gorgeous, although the upper corridors could do with a bit of TLC. The room was very nice and the breakfast was fantastic! Having paid a very reasonable rate, I was extremely surprised at how close we were to the town centre. Just a 5/10 minute walk from Betty's!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning.
We have lots of special deals on throughout the year with lots of extra treats!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.