“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Pembrokeshire
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We were on a GRJ tour and were booked in this hotel for 3 nights. Our room was on the the first floor and very pleasant with views over the park. Quality of the room was good but the pillows were hard in the extreme.
Breakfast was very good we found the quality and selection first class, but the self serve toast machine naff (they always are) Why not bring the toast with the tea from the kitchen?
Dinner, being a group we were in the breakfast room (splendid room) the selection and quality given was good but it does seem that this hotel practices portion control with enthusiasm. We had salmon the first night which was the size of a fish finger and between a table of 6 a soup plate filled with a jumbled mixture of vegetables. Similar pattern for each night

Conclusion - Nice hotel in a good location, but if on a package tour make sure you have a good lunch out.

Room Tip: Front Rooms have a nice view and the road is not that noisy
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rileyman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The building it's self is beautiful, ame parking available also. Arrived and was checked in quickly and the reception staff were friendly. Rooms are a good size and the beds are comfortable. Bathroom smelt abit stale and the walls are like paper you can hear everything especially the room next door. Food was nice and home cooked. The staff were really friendly and helpful. I ordered a jacket potatoe with beef chilli, I didn't want a jacket and they were really accommodating and did some rice for me at the same price. Prices are reasonable also. As the walls are so thin I didn't sleep that well but I am a light sleeper anyway. Breakfast was great, so much choice and all local produce. Not sure if this be my first choice but the majory father stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Tello84
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago on a B & B, KGB deal. Booked 2 double rooms for myself and hubby and my parents. Arrived to find a beautiful hotel in a fabulous location for the city centre. My first impression of the staff was that they were all smartly dressed, immaculately groomed and looked very professional. The receptionist gave us our room pass, there was then an awkward moment when I asked for the second pass (for my parents!) and the receptionist looked a bit confused. I explained that I had purchased 2 deals and gave her the printed receipts. Turns out they had only booked one room. The receptionist dealt with this very swiftly and gave us another room opposite to ours without fuss, apologising for the mix up. Was very relieved as I didn't fancy all 4 of us in one room! Both rooms were very spacious, clean and tidy and were well stocked with the usual tea/coffee/toiletries.

The hotel is within around 10-15 stroll of the centre of Harrogate so the location is great. It's quite an impressive looking building in lovely grounds. The bar and reception area are very clean and modern. We didn't eat in the restaurant, found that a bit pricey, but we did eat the bar meals. They were lovely and were served quickly. If I'm honest, the curry was very overpriced and average, but I had the fish and it was fab!
The breakfast room was lovely and the breakfast served (help-yourself buffet style) was absolutely top notch! Can honestly say it was one of the best breakfasts we'd had in any hotel or B & B. The pork and leek sausages were very tasty, but I particularly liked the yoghurt with fresh and dried fruits. There were also cereals, muffins and croissants to choose from so you'd have to be incredibly fussy not to find something you liked!
Hotel does have a gym, but it wasn't open when we looked (room had a broken keyhole/doorknob too) but it didn't seem very big from what we could see, and we only wanted a peek anyway!
Been on a few KGB or similar cheap deals now and I can honestly say that this hotel is definitely one of the better ones. Stayed in a few Best Western hotels now and have found them to be very good. Even the ones that may need a bit of updating always seem to have very polite, professional staff. The maid who was about to clean our room smiled and said good morning and made us feel welcomed! To me, this is very important as good manners and customer service costs nothing. It also exemplifies the ethos of the chain. I hope BW keeps this up as I'd have no hesitation in recommending them or staying with them again in that case!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Louise M
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

Just had a 4 day stay on a package with Treyn not to impressed with evening meal first night served up Luke warm and for the first three nights same veg served and just one small dish between 6 people.was rectified when mentioned to staff.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank sylsm2
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

Just spent 1 night , but rooms nice with everything needed. Breakfast next morning was very expansive, what ever you wished for was there and The quality was top notch. Overall a nice, good quality hotel

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adrian1973
New Waltham
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Having read plenty of reviews I thought I would give my opinion. The hotel was easy to find and had plenty of parking (we arrived Friday 1pm). The outside of the hotel is very beautiful and we were made to feel very welcome on arrival. We had booked a 2 nights stay using KGB deal for £179 with dinner on one night and you could tell with our room that we were on a cheap deal! The room overlooked the kitchen roof and the smells of cooking wafted through! That said the room wasn't as bad as some hotels I have stayed in but my room at the Premier Inn Meadowhall on Wednesday was far superior!! We ate at the hotel on Friday evening and the food and service was first class. Breakfast was buffet style and the choice was fantastic. We walked into Harrogate city centre which took about a 10 minute walk and we felt the hotel was well located as we enjoy having a walk around and don't mind not being bang centre for it all.

Overall we would stay at this hotel again but hope that we would get a better room!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jensenfamily6
Hull,UK
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just back from a very disapointing overnight stay.
We have stayed here before and been satisfied.
On this occasion we found the staff (of which were few)
not very helpful.
The room 201 was small and in need of an upgrade. Wallpaper peeling off for example.
The toilet seat was loose and bathroom had an unpleasant smell.
Breakfast was most disapointing with lack of staff .Who just couldnt cope with the number of guests arriving. The bistro area was most unwelcoming and to top it all the tablecloths were Plastic.(last time I had plastic was in a Greasy Spoon on the A1 years ago)
We had to queue for ages for plates.
Cold plates for hot food and Hot plates for cold food.
The sausages look most unhealthy, on inspection they were undercooked so didnt go near eating one. The hash browns were like bullets . A mush called scrambled eggs was left cold.
However it was not all negative as the coffe was very nice although trying to find milk was difficult
and when the container was found it was empty.
This is not what I would expect from a hotel with a previously good reputation.
I certainly would not recommend anyone staying here under the present regime.
Sorry about being so critical but these things need addressing if your previous good reputation is to be upheld.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends