“Dont be conned into upgrade”

Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The Best Western Cedar Court is a beautiful hotel in a delightful setting. The staff were all very helpful and cheerful.

We visited this hotel with friends last weekend. Our friends managed to book a standard room, we were told there were no standard rooms left so we had to upgrade to executive class. It wasnt till we were leaving the hotel on Sunday that I compared both our rooms. The executive rooms are supposed to have better view, the standard room 4 doors away from us had exactly same view. The standard room had a trouser press in it, ours did not. The description of the hotel says, executive rooms come with extras including mineral water, fruit and bath robes. These were the ONLY extras. The mineral water was sparkling, we prefer still, out of the 5 pieces of fruit 2 of them looked like they were passed their sell by date, and the bath robes were not soft and fluffy but hard and uncomfortable with the belt loops needing to be sewn back on. I recommend this hotel for standard rooms, but do not expect any improvement if you upgrade, it is a complete waste of money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bestbuddytraveller
Richard_Dennell, Manager at Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Dear bestbuddytraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Best Western Cedar Court.

I was disappointed to read that you didn’t find our upgrade good value for money or to meet the desired standard. I shall investigate your feedback with the relevant departments and ensure that improvements are implemented immediately.

On a positive note I was delighted to read that you felt the team looked after well during your stay at the hotel.

If I can be of any assistance on future bookings please don’t hesitate to contact me and I shall ensure we do all we can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed two nights on a weekend break in Yorkshire. The exterior of the hotel is very impressive and it's superbly situated. The public areas are good and all the staff we met were friendly, welcoming and in one case, disarmingly keen to do the best job he possibly could!

The only negatives were slightly tired decor in our room (wallpaper seams starting to curl) and the shower over the bath which had a mind of its own - it could go from just about right to barely tepid to too hot to stay under in just a few seconds. The mixer valve was a Hansgrohe, which you would expect to give very good control, so I suspect either the cartridge was worn out or the plumbing to the room (231) was a bit dodgy. Anyway, it wasn't bad enough to make us want to change rooms and everything else was absolutely fine.

Room Tip: First floor rooms near the front door can be a bit noisy when they have a function or a wedding.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PhilC59

Dear PhilC59,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Best Western Cedar Court.

Your constructive feedback is appreciated and has been discussed with maintenance team. I’m pleased to read that the team provided excellent customer service throughout your stay.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Just returned from the Cedar Court Hotel after a 2 night stay.
My first impressions were that it was a lovely looking building from the outside. Inside was also nice, however it looks like half of the ground floor has been refurbished and the other half not. The toilets near the function room looked like public ones and were cleaned to a basic standard.

Anyway, check in was fine. I requested a room on a high floor and a nice view, i understand that requests can not always be granted but we had no view whatsover, just a roof top.
Our room was on the 2nd floor, the corridors were long with red carpets which reminded me of 'The Shining' (not a great start). The room was quite small but clean and had everything we needed.

Night-time is a nightmare, the corridors are so creaky and loud, everytime someone walks past your room you wake up and doors are constantly slamming all night.After not much sleep, and music blarring out until midnight, housekeeping rudely awoke us at 9am by knocking and walking in. This is not what i expect in a supposed 4* hotel.

On the 2nd night i was hoping it would be different but there was another wedding on, people running up and down corridors and banging doors all night. The music was louder, it felt like i was sleeping next to a disco. Would hate to think what it was like on the first floor!!

Then at 8:30am, even though check out was not until 11, housekeeping were coming in again trying to clean the rooms, unbelieveable....We got up and left. Please don't go to this hotel expecting a relaxing hotel, because you won't get one!!

Harrogate itself is lovely, i would recommend it to anyone, just not the Cedar Court Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear laurak1885,

Thank you for your review of Best Western Cedar Court.

I was disappointed to read that your stay at our hotel didn’t meet your expectations. Your feedback and opinions have been discussed with the team here at the hotel and we shall make improvements where possible.

With regard to housekeeping as indicated checkout time is 11am, however we do allow guests to check in at 2pm and unfortunately we cannot service all 100 bedrooms in 3 hours. Our housekeeping team do try to only service rooms where guests have checked out or gone out for the day. We do understand your frustration and have implemented changes to our current process of servicing the guest bedrooms and ensured that the “Do not Disturb” sign in the bedrooms can be located easier by our guests.

We do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to provide you with a positive experience at our hotel in our future.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We arranged an early autum weekend away with 3 other couples. So pleased we chose to stay at the Cedar Court. The staff couldnt do enough for you, so polite and attentive.
Tho rooms were first class and overlooked the wonderful open parkland called The Strid I believe.
Just a five minute walk into the centre of town. The restaurant was good value and served a wide selection of great food.
A great weekend was had by all and we will definately return again.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Paul B
Richard_Dennell, Manager at Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Best Western Cedar Court.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and please to hear that the team provided you with excellent customer service throughout your stay.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed for a reunion weekend at the Cedar Court hotel and we were very pleased with the location and overall service at the hotel. The room on the first floor was very good size and although several things happening at the hotel it was very quiet. The location enabled a 10min walk into the centre of Harrogate, (but still not able to get into Auntie Bettys).
The service throughout the hotel was excellent. The only dissapointment was the sunday breakfast service, as there was also a wedding party and both our party and theirs was squashed into one room with central self service and it was a bit frantic, but the food was still enjoyable.
Overall very good and we will certainly use the Cedar Court again when "up north".

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank connorfam

Dear connorfam,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of Best Western Cedar Court.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and your constructive comments regarding Sunday breakfast have been fed back to the team to make improvements where possible.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed for 4 weeks while training in Harrogate. (no choice unfortunately).
Although the beds were comfy and the rooms clean, the wallpaper was peeling in every room I stayed in. The walls are paper thin so a good nights sleep is virtually impossible. The main problem lies in the kitchens / restaurant. Both the restaurant food and the bar food are diabolical. An extortionate amount of money is charged for microwave meals that haven't even been left in the microwave long enough. Their idea of fine dining I believe is inspired by Morrisons. One evening the Lamb pie arrived without any pastry because the chef had run out (failed to go shopping) Thats a stew then? I dont think that anything I had throughout my stay was actually made on the premises.

Room Tip: Eat out. Top floor has less rooms and less noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank aaa098
Richard_Dennell, Manager at Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear aaa098,

I’m obviously disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience at Best Western Cedar Court, but more disappointed that despite your obvious dislike of our hotel, at no point in 4 weeks did you decide to express your concerns to myself or any member of the management team. Unfortunately at this stage I can therefore only offer my apologies.

I respect you are entitled to your own opinion regarding the food we serve, but I would challenge your comments as being not factual and far from the truth. I would ask others to read previous tripadvisor reviews and decide for themselves. Just for confirmation, we create and produce all of our dishes on site and take great pride in the culinary skills of the kitchen team.

We are sorry that our hotel was not to your liking.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I have now had the pleasure of staying at the Cedar Court Hotel with my wife on two separate occasions, the staff are polite and efficient, our rooms on both occasions were first class and everything about our stay an absolute joy, well done to all and see you again soon I hope.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul W
Richard_Dennell, Manager at Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear Paul W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Best Western Cedar Court.

I'm delighted to read that you found your room to be of a good standard, and that the team provided you with excellent customer service throughout your stay.