“Grand building but needs a new chef, updating upstairs and has a ghostly experience.!”
Review of Cedar Court Hotel

Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 2 February 2013

My colleague and I spent a week at cedar court hotel. We had our rooms paid for by our company, of which I am glad otherwise I would have asked for a refund. I think the max I would pay now knowing the quality of the food and rooms would be £40 per night.
Although the Building is magnificent with a grand entrance and dining rooms, then venture upstairs and find a very disappointing yellow brick lined walls, ripped quilt covers and dated furniture.

I agree with JoeM83 regarding the main occupants being 20 BT engineers, I think if it wasn't for the large group, by the way looking as if every single engineer had a van each in the car park, the hotel would be in trouble.

I did however have to admit I had a scary experience that happened on three consecutive occasions at the same time every morning. I did ask to change rooms of which was granted. The front of house and cleaning staff couldn't do enough for you but the waitressing and catering staff lacked attention to detail for the price... don't get me started on the food.. My advice is there are plenty of restaurants a few minutes away with better tasting fresh HOT cooked food.

Now for the scary bit....
I would like to revisit this hotel (not for the food) but for the ghostly experience! yes thats what I said....Around 4:11am on 3 mornings I was awoken with the feeling of someone pulling the quilt off my bed, the feeling of my arms restrained, the feeling that someone was in the same room, the feeling that I had been given a needle in the arm, leg and hand.. OK your now saying that this guy is making it up or crazy...All I can say is I don't believe in the supernatural but what I experienced unnerved me to the point I packed my bags and moved rooms. especially when the staff informed me the hotel used to be a hospital, and was haunted! I was so intrigued I took a video sweep of the room with my iPhone which shows some really surprising images. I did the same with the new room and found nothing....go figure?

As i said I would think the same if someone had told me this adventure but all I can say is if you don't mind paying the price try it out.
It's the first time I've stayed in Harrogate so I can't compare hotels but the area is beautiful with very expensive buildings and friendly people.

To sum it all up, it was an experience that was fun but felt let down by the cold ready meal style hotel food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DPKN
Write a ReviewReviews (2,362)

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Start well with a warm welcome from the lady on reception followed by our room been ready very early. Cannot complain about the room very clean and spacious,the only small complaint was the walls are abit thin when people have the tv's on loud at all hours. Food was great from the resturant to the bar area and a great breakfast. Staff were very good. Great location ten minutes on foot from town. All in all a enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

For belated birthday celebrations a friend and I booked a break to Harrogate using a voucher website. We were only there for one night so were not too fussy. What excellent service we received! The breakfast was also faultless. The decor needed a bit of a revamp and the bedrooms were quite basic but everything was clean and in good working order. Good location and parking. Beautiful building, could be really special but then I probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay there!!

Room Tip: Our room did not have a very scenic view but was bigger than the norm as it had the option of being...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We only stayed for one night with dinner and breakfast, the meals were absolutely delicious, the standard of presentation in the restaurant was outstanding and the dinner was of an exceptionally high standard.The service was superb and the staff could not have been more helpful and approachable.
The room was very clean and tidy with a comfortable bed and all of the electrical equipment in perfect working order.
The breakfast offered lots of choice and again, cooked to perfection.
The Hotel is with easy walking distance from the main town with some unusual and interesting shops.
We can not recommend this Hotel more, and indeed have recommended it to many friends since.We are returning later this Friday for another "treat", if you want a place to relax, unwind, and forget about work ....this is the place to stay Colin S.

2  Thank Colin S
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Have just spent a week in this hotel, while on a training course in Harrogate. No I don't work for a large telephone company (if you stay there in the week you will understand)

Ill start from outside, it's a very impressive looking building from outside, with plenty of parking (main reason this hotel was picked).
The staff were very helpful and friendly, went out of there way to help in fact.
There is a small gym on the 1st floor, it's free to use & well equipped, although half of the equipment was out of order.
Another thing I was pleased with was I think this is one of the few hotels I have stayed in around the country/world that had crystal clear TV reception & full free view, which is nice when your away from loved ones for a week.

Sadly that's about as much praise as I can give it.
The inside of the hotel is rather dated and showing signs of wear and tear. The corridors wouldn't look out of place in prisoner cell block H.
The shower wouldn't maintain a temperature, after the first couple of minutes it would either go cold or so hot you couldn't bear to be in it.
The rooms seem to be quite nice, comfy bed, quiet & nice TV, but they are showing signs of wear & starting to look dated, most of the towels/bed sheets seem to have holes/rips or are wearing thin.

Now my main gripe - the food.
Don't waste your money, have a walk in to town (15 minutes walk) & eat something that's cooked properly & will still be hot when you get it.
We ate in the bar and after reading the menu/prices expected nice food, what we got was cold ready meals that cost us more than eating anywhere else we ate for the rest of the week.
Even after my colleague sent his starter back because it was still fridge cold in the middle, the main course arrived cold but I don't think f it had been hot it would have tasted any better.

The breakfast has lots & lots of choice, I love a full English but everything seemed to be cold regardless of what time we went down, so I ended up eating cereal & fruit.

To sum up, have a look at the website for the hotel, the pictures of the rooms say everything you need to know (the pictures look like they were taken in the 90's - it hasn’t changed since then). It's very expensive for what you get, the lack of attention to detail lets it down.
I'm assuming the large telephone company that have 30 odd vans in the car park are keeping the hotel busy enough for them not to worry to much about updating anything.
If I had been paying to stay here I would have been really disappointed, luckily I wasn’t.

Room Tip: Avoid room 211
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank JoeM83
Reviewed 23 January 2013

A group of us sampled a Cedar Court Pamper/PJ party/girls night in package this weekend for one night (Sat/Sun). What a fantastic experience and absolutely worth trying out! I won't say it wasn't without a hitch or two, but we found the staff on duty helpful and considerate; making us feel totally pampered. The package included a visit to the Turkish Baths, bed, breakfast & evening meal in our own suite, dvds & player and savoury nibbles. The rooms were spacious (I've been in other 4* hotels and we've had less room space) and perfectly presentable. It was also the little touches that impressed us - bath robes & slippers & attentive staff - an upgrade to suite for one member & a free lunch.
My only concern relates to the channels of communication between me and the hotel/reservations department. Having discussed the package and made verbal requests about the package back in September, I sent deposits and requested confirmation of our verbal agreement (plus other information) in November . However, I didn't hear anything back and after a series of phone calls & bounced emails, our party arrived on Saturday expecting things to be in place as discussed/arranged in September (ie a 3pm booking at the Baths on Saturday). Instead we discovered we had been booked in for 6pm with an evening meal at 9pm (just a bit late for our group).
Having said all this, the on duty staff were FABULOUS and re-negotiated our visit to the Baths for Sunday morning (which was actually a much better experience). We were also offered and given a free lunch (lovely) and our evening meal in the Willow Suite was really great (the food was brilliant) and we were truly well looked after.
Finally, we hope that all the attention we got was because it was part of the pamper package rather than making up for a hitch. But we all agreed that we would go back because this package was an absolute bargain and delight compared to others we have had elsewhere. Well done to the staff on duty - we appreciated your efforts to get things right for us. Thank you

Room Tip: Be aware that rooms at the front of the hotel may have REALLY bright lights shining in the room day...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Forget about revamp etc ! concentrate on what the hotel offers ! Apart from its excellent location, the staff are very welcoming,friendly and very professional. Our rooms were well laid out and catered for all our needs. The breakfast had the best choice i have had anywhere ,catering for the organic(even strawberries) to the full british breakfast user like me. Forget about all the revamp reviews.This is a first rate hotel which i would happily recommend to anyone. We had brought our cycles which the staff allowed us to store in a room giving us piece of mind regarding their safekeep.