“Comfortable and friendly but with minor issues”

Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
“Comfortable and friendly but with minor issues”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at Best Western Cedar court for 2 nights in a twin room for a conference at a rival hotel. We picked Best Western as it had infinitely more positive reviews over our conference recommended list, and, even better, was £100+ cheaper than the other options available to us.

The room, though a little basic was very clean and spacious with a modern interior. The bathroom was spotless and very classy. Staff were welcoming and accommodating.

Cedar Court suffers from two minor issues though. The WiFi, whilst free, was absolutely rubbish with slow speeds and connection problems.

The fish and chips were expensive, with a small portion and unfortunately had very little taste... Bar prices were a tad extortionate too.

That said, I would definitely stay again - bedding was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep apart from my colleague whom snored like an elephant.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Zachary_Kellerman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The outside of this hotel is more appealing than other Cedar Court properties with which I'm familiar - a period building overlooking the Stray. My bedroom was a reasonable size and included the usual comforts - although the shower control was fussy. Breakfast is a very comprehensive buffet; I didn't try other meals there but the restaurant seemed appealing and had plenty of choice. The location is very convenient - 5 minutes' walk from the center of town - and I found it good value compared with some of the higher profile hotels; internet connection was free and the speed was perfectly adequate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Debbie_Dilasser, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Many thanks for your positive review. I am delighted you were impressed by the exterior of the hotel. It is indeed a beautiful building.I see you travelled from afar to visit us, but we hope to welcome you back again in the future!
Dorset
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Two night stay for business trip. A bit out of town - good 20/30 min walk depending on fitness into town. Hotel good value. Good bar selection. Restaurant excellent Bar menu limited but good. Madras Curry advertised as hot but I would say mild at best but very tasty

Room Tip: Nothing wrong with the second floor although you need to get the lift to the first floor!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, however it really is only a 10 minute walk to town! if you had asked a member of staff we could have given you the most direct route to take (there is a shortcut through our rear carpark) We look forward to welcoming you bcak soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for my sons wedding, our room was a superior room and it was lovely. The "Bridal suite" left a lot to be desired, it was part of the wedding package,very dismal and cramped. The wedding itself was ok but lacked proper organisation. The wedding food was disgusting and so was the breakfast the following morning I sent a complaint in to the manager as did my sister but all we got told was regarding the wedding food the chef had noticed that a lot of food had been returned and asked front of house to find out why, nobody asked our table or the bride and groom. The breakfast bacon and sausage looked as though they had been cooked the day before and warmed , the eggs were solid, and this was at 7.30 am. When I mentioned this to the manager he asked me what time I had gone down and when I told him he said it should have been freshly cooked then. Other members of my family went to breakfast later and theirs was ok. The manager said it could have understood if it was the other way round. Make of that what you will. I was told that as the Bridal couple had not complained there was nothing going to be done re the wedding. Neither my sister or myself were offered a refund for the terrible breakfast. We certainly won't be going there again I think they need to get the food and wedding organising up to a standard that goes well with the surroundings which we could not fault

• Stayed September 2013
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Terrific breakfast but let down by main meals that were part of a package holiday arrangement. Avoid tasteless fish pie. Staff and room could not be faulted. Pleasant grounds and locality not far from railway station and town centre.

Room Tip: Room 314 was good
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed for a full week. An impressive front to this hotel was matched with a quality reception area and very helpful and efficient reception staff. All staff are smartly dressed and helpful. My room was in the new wing at the rear and was clean and comfortable - but - I was woken and regularly disturbed by the bedroom doors of nearby rooms banging shut at all hours of the day. I know that fire doors must have a positive shut, but if other hotels can have quiet door closers, so can Cedar Court - disappointed. Breakfast is in very plush rooms, which change some days depending on number of guests I presume. Breakfast is a help-yourself-buffet from several individual heated trays, I was pleased to see that the plates were heated, but unfortunately the food was only warm. I mentioned this to the staff on the Monday morning and was pleased to see that staff measured the food temperature in the trays straight away. I was told that it was at 70 degrees and I must have taken too long to sit down to eat it! I think they meant 70 degrees Fahrenheit, not Celsius. Breakfast was warm, not hot, each day of my stay. Guests are expected to stand at the machine and make their own toast, but that would mean my breakfast would be even colder! - disappointed. So, a mixed stay - an impressive looking hotel and reception, with smart and efficient reception staff, but let down by small details such as banging doors and a help yourself warm breakfast. Although the rate I paid was very reasonable, I would rather not stay again.

2 Thank Marmite-13
ROCHDALE
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Having booked this hotel a few months ago, was thrilled at how much we all enjoyed the hotel. The location is fab, easy ten minute walk to Harrogate, very attractive setting. From the moment of arrival to leaving, each and every member of staff were amazing, very pleasant, happy and courteous they honestly could not do enough to make sure you enjoyed your stay. We booked DBB&EM for first night and then BB for second. The breakfast was very good, plenty of choice, the evening meal exceeded our expectations, service and quality of food superb. As there were eight of us they set a circular table and the Head Of the Restaurant appeared at the end of the evening to check all was in order. Value for money exceptional would not hesitate to recommend and would book again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends