“Accessible room not wheelchair friendly.......”
Review of Cedar Court Hotel

Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I was told when booking this room that it was an accessible room for a wheelchair. This is not entirely accurate information.
Although the room was a good size, the all important bathroom was useless to me in a wheelchair. It had a sink that I could not get my knees under, so brushing teeth was a problem! It had a bath which is no use to someone who has poor mobility and there was not much space to manoeuvre to get to the toilet. All in all, very poor. There seems to be a huge difference in standards from one best western to another, so not entirely reliable.
The public areas were nice and the breakfast was good, but when my husband tried to pass on our opinions of the room, he was met with apathy and a lack of being bothered......... We won't rush back to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,386)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

had a great 2 day break at this hotel and really enjoyed it.it is in a great position for town and the rooms,staff and breakfast were all very good.plenty of free safe parking on site and lovely view from the hotel .we will be going back for sure

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst on business and was expecting something over and above your normal Premier Inn/Travelodge having looked at the Cedar Court website.

To be honest, it was very underwhelming. The building itself is very impressive but that is where it ended for me. I tried to put some drinks on my room but was then told that I should have pre registered a card when I checked in so had to go back and do that. I was pointed to a home made 'notice' on the bar that basically suggested that most guests will do a runner if they haven't pre paid for any food and drink put on their rooms. That said, when I checked in, as has happened at hundreds of places that I have stayed, they could have just asked for a swipe of a card. Job done.

Room was well decorated but smaller than a Premier Inn and not as well equipped. Room thermostat was broken as was the plug in the sink that was permanently stuck on 'slightly open'.

Bar food was good and reasonably priced. The beef madras was excellent.

Wake up call was a false fire alarm at 6:15am. No apology, nothing. No member of staff even came out of the building to stand with us poor hapless sods in the car park on a freezing morning. Very bad.

Breakfast was buffet style and laid out in a row. My food was poor. Bacon over cooked and dry. Fried eggs undercooked. Sausages overcooked. Hash browns overcooked.

All in all, not very good and certainly not 4 star in my opinion.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chippywarner
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I returned yestered from a DB&B break at this hotel. We were greeted on arrival and check in was very easy. Our room was at the rear of the hotel and quiet. Although a little outdated, it was comfortable and had the usual: hairdryer, kettle, tea and coffee etc. and was great as a base as we were out most of Saturday finishing our Christmas shopping! We had dinner in the hotel on our first night which was lovely and the brasserie staff exceptionally pleasant. Breakfast was fine, the usual cooked fayre with cereals, pastries etc.
I have noted that some guests have stated a walk to the town centre of over 20minutes. We found that by leaving the hotel at the rear and crossing the car park it took no more than a 10 minute stroll, quite flat, to the town centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at Best Western Cedar court for 2 nights in a twin room for a conference at a rival hotel. We picked Best Western as it had infinitely more positive reviews over our conference recommended list, and, even better, was £100+ cheaper than the other options available to us.

The room, though a little basic was very clean and spacious with a modern interior. The bathroom was spotless and very classy. Staff were welcoming and accommodating.

Cedar Court suffers from two minor issues though. The WiFi, whilst free, was absolutely rubbish with slow speeds and connection problems.

The fish and chips were expensive, with a small portion and unfortunately had very little taste... Bar prices were a tad extortionate too.

That said, I would definitely stay again - bedding was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep apart from my colleague whom snored like an elephant.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Zachary_Kellerman
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The outside of this hotel is more appealing than other Cedar Court properties with which I'm familiar - a period building overlooking the Stray. My bedroom was a reasonable size and included the usual comforts - although the shower control was fussy. Breakfast is a very comprehensive buffet; I didn't try other meals there but the restaurant seemed appealing and had plenty of choice. The location is very convenient - 5 minutes' walk from the center of town - and I found it good value compared with some of the higher profile hotels; internet connection was free and the speed was perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Debbie_Dilasser, Guest Relations Manager at Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Many thanks for your positive review. I am delighted you were impressed by the exterior of the hotel. It is indeed a beautiful building.I see you travelled from afar to visit us, but we hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Two night stay for business trip. A bit out of town - good 20/30 min walk depending on fitness into town. Hotel good value. Good bar selection. Restaurant excellent Bar menu limited but good. Madras Curry advertised as hot but I would say mild at best but very tasty

Room Tip: Nothing wrong with the second floor although you need to get the lift to the first floor!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, however it really is only a 10 minute walk to town! if you had asked a member of staff we could have given you the most direct route to take (there is a shortcut through our rear carpark) We look forward to welcoming you bcak soon.