“Must do better”

Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on a Treyn holiday, Ist night in room 338 unable to sleep due to a loud pulsating/droning noise, even with window closed, leaving room stifeling hot with no air conditioning. Rang reception at 3am and was told of a similar complaint the previous week!! Helpful Night receptionist tried to remedy the problem immediately but without success. He apologised that the hotel was full and we couldn't be moved to another room until the following day. The next morning before an early trip out we had to re-pack our belongings for staff to move us to another room. This was larger, double glazed and thankfully noise free. After talking to other couples on the trip who were allocated rooms in same location to our original one, we were amazed to learn that at least 3 of them had gone out and bought earplugs so that they could sleep through the night noise (apparently caused by large kitchen fans at rear of hotel.) Totally unacceptable in a 4 star hotel!

Although there were a considerable number in our party who were very dissatisfied with the choice and quality of the food on offer, we found it to be perfectly acceptable although not at 4 star standard.

We found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable and the staff polite and helpful, particularly the reception staff.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms on the same corridor as 338!
2  Thank Babs M

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked and paid for this hotel 18 months prior to our stay so that we could attend the Tour De France. In the lead up to our arrival the hotel contacted us a number of times as they were concerned that the hotel was going to be busy and that three of the Tour teams were going to be staying as well. They confirmed in writing that we would have what we had booked and paid for i.e. two connected rooms for ourselves and our two teenage children.
On arrival, we didn't get this arrangement but two separate rooms. That was our first disappointment. On reaching the rooms we then discovered that both rooms had one double bed i.e. not suitable for two teenagers. On complaining we were informed that as the place was busy there was little alternative. We escalated this to the hotel manager who after much discussion gave us a number of options, none including single beds or connected rooms. In the end we had to accept a z-bed arrangement for one of our children alongside the existing double bed for the other one. This didn’t go down well with the kids and caused a lot of moaning.
Our kids experience was further undermined by the hopelessness of the Wi-Fi service provided. With two teenagers not that bothered about the Tour De France, this had been one of our key reasons for choosing the hotel. The Wi-Fi service was advertised as available in all the rooms, but just kept dropping out even near the reception area in the hotel. This we were told was the place with the strongest signal. We were also told by reception that that if we were having problems we should ring their Wi-Fi service provider, not the hotel. At that point all four of us gave up wasting any more time using something that obviously wasn’t as advertised or anywhere fit for purpose. Not quite what I expected to be told in a four star hotel either.
Another key reason for choosing the hotel was because it advertised itself as having a gym. It does, but proved unusable. There was no obvious working control for temperature in what was a very hot room, but also no mats on the floor, any wash facilities, water or towels available. I would challenge anyone to use one of the running machines for more than a few minutes in those conditions. My wife is a very experienced runner and used to running in difficult conditions, but this was just unsuitable for anyone wanting to do more than a few minutes in the gym.
In the end we did receive, and it did feel reluctantly the offer of a free meal in the brassiere from the hotel manager. This we had already booked so was nice to get for free, but to be honest wasn’t particularly special or that enjoyable. For other meals we just went outside of the hotel which proved a far more enjoyable experience.
Overall a poor experience that spoilt something we had planned for a very long time. It’s put me off this hotel and chain for good.

Room Tip: Wifi was useless. Didn't work in the rooms and didn't work in the main parts of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank eepublictn
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Nice hotel in a lovely town! Rooms are good szie and bathrooms well equipped. The bedroom decor a little bit dated, but not off putting in any way. Abou a ten minute walk to the main shopping area. The walk is actually quite nice after a long day working! Breakfast also nice - good variety.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Myself, my husband, brother and my sister in law stayed at the Cedar Court this weekend to celebrate my brothers 40th birthday. On arriving at the hotel we found the public areas and the bedrooms stunning. The receptionist, Natalie was great, she couldn't have done more to help us make this celebration a surprise and it really paid off, thank you Natalie!
We had booked a reservation in the restaurant for Friday evening, the menu was very reasonably priced and food delicious until my brother was half way through his pudding when he found quite a long dark hair amongst his food!
As you can expect we were quite shocked to find this and informed the restaurant manager who offered him a replacement which was declined as the hair had been quite off putting.
As we were in a four star hotel we expected 4 star treatment however, we barely got an apology and found that it must have been quite acceptable for this staff member as nothing more was said about it.
If you stay in a much cheaper Premier Inn a full money back guarantee would have been offered for our stay, this isn't what we wanted however, a little bit more of an apology would have gone a long way!
On a more positive note, this was an isolated incident and overall we had a very enjoyable stay.

3  Thank ChrisDD9274EZ
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and is stayed here with our 1 year old son and two other couples for my 30th birthday. I didn't know where we were staying as the trip was a surprise to me, however my first impression was 'wow!' The outside of the hotel was very beautiful. I was impressed. The inside was just as nice. It was clean, open and modern although not too modern. The rooms were lovely. My parents room was a good size however our room was huge which was perfect as the cot fit in the room leaving plenty of space for our son to run around or play with his toys on the floor. The only issues with the room, were that there was no air conditioning and the window didn't open very far so because the weather outside was glorious, the room got very warm very quickly. The other issue with the room was the wifi didn't work as we were too far from the rooter to connect.

We ate at the hotel both nights and both times the food was amazing! There was unfortunately no children's menu however the staff we're very accommodating and suggested that we could order a bar meal for our son, which they would bring to our table when ready, even if our meals were still being cooked so that he wouldn't get too hungry. My hubby, Dad, best friend's hubby and I all had the cheeseboard for dessert and we would all recommend it. You can choose how many cheeses you would like (3-5) and which ones you would like. This is a fab idea as so often there's at least 1 cheese on the board I don't like and I only there's usually too many or not enough cheeses.

The hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk from Harrogate City centre and is an easy route to follow, you can't get lost which us great because I usually do!

I've stayed at Best Westerns before and been disappointed however I was most definitely not disappointed with this Best Western hotel. I would stay here again without a shadow of a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mrs_Mutley_Spud
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for a conference.

Hotel is very easy to find with ample parking available.

Checkin was easy and welcoming, just as I remember when I stayed here some five years ago.

I was allocated a room on the ground floor and very near to reception, which I found to be a little noisy from foot traffic.

The room was comfortable and clean with a good iron and ironing board an a nice large screen tv.

However, the rooms do not have any form of air conditioning and being on the ground floor I was unable to leave the window open during the night or during the day when unoccupied. I was promptly provided with a desk fan on request but this made little difference.

The food in the hotel is very good and the excellent local town is a five minute walk away.

The hotel has lots of period features and the large meeting / reception rooms are beautiful.

I would highly recommend the hotel as a place to stay, but not during very hot weather.

WIFI is free, ask for the login codes at reception or secure them from the bar area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank hot70000000000000
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our overnight stay at this first class hotel was a most welcome break on our journey from Scotland to the south of England. Our room was simply excellent and dinner in the Brasserie was equally so. Each course was served with style and flair and the fixed price menu was great value for money. The hotel staff were interested and welcoming. Poor WiFi reception in the room was a minor disappointment but the staff did everything possible to assist. Highly recommended.

1  Thank TMF98