“Good hotel within easy reach of the town centre”

Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Enfield
“Good hotel within easy reach of the town centre”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Stayed here in June 2009 with six others for a golfing week.
The rooms are comfortable, but those at the back of the hotel appear to be bigger than the ones at the front.
We arrived on FA Cup Final day and asked for the ancient TV in the bar to be switched on to watch it. The signal was terrible and we had to leave at half time to find a bar in the town with a proper TV. Surely a four star hotel can afford to buy a modern flat screen TV with digital reception?
Another minus point was the lack of free internet anywhere in the hotel. I eventually found this facility in the local library - they'll sign you up as a temporary member which was really useful.
The hotel was clean and the staff helpful and polite. Breakfast was fine. We didn't use the hotel for evening meals, preferring the town centre (avoid the only Mexican restaurant in the town where they added service to our bill - which was OK - but then tried to keep the change as well).
It's an easy seven minute walk into the town centre from a pathway at the rear of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
fylde
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Stayed two nights with my elderly mother who is partially sighted and cannot walk far. I had requested a ground floor room and this was arranged with no problem. Unfortunately it was quite a dark room with only one fairly small window and the lighting was not bright. On request the very helpful guy on reception quickly arranged for us to have the room next door which had two windows. The room for breakfast was very large, which made it rather stark and the breakfast and service was not brilliant. However on the following morning, breakfast was in the brasserie, a much nicer room. The buffet- style breakfast was excellent - with a good choice of hot and cold food. The hot food was actually hot at 9 a.m. and also looked appetising. The plates were the hottest I've experienced! I stay in many 4*hotels up and down the country and find breakfast is often luke-warm and looks grim. I often ask for freshly cooked food! Although the do-it-yourself- toaster was annoying, the waitress offered to do the toast and brought it to the table. Housekeeping staff were also pleasant and helpful. Plenty of free parking, and a choice of the disabled spaces when we stayed. All in all I was pleasantly surprised by the experience we had and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Our friends booked one night for my husbands birthday. We arrived at 4.45pm on a Sunday afternoon to be told our rooms were not ready! So we had a drink in the bar as we waited for our rooms to be serviced. The white wine was warm not chilled in any way. After half an hour our rooms were still not ready so we had another drink and after enquiring about our rooms a complimentary coffee was offered but this did not materialise and the wine was still warm!. At no time were any of the staff anyway bothered or the least bit apologetic. So we were rather disgruntled and our friends really embarrassed because they had made the booking. Our meal in the evening was quite acceptable but certainly not up to the standard we would expect from a Best Western Hotel and would certainly not recommend this hotel which from the outside looks very prestigeous.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
wirral
Reviewed 8 August 2009

i stayed at the Cedar Court Hotel in Harrogate with family. The check in was fairly quick and completed by a friendly member of staff. A good start. The rooms we occupied were clean and of a decent size with everything we needed for a comfortable stay. The bathrooms especially were clean. Breakfast was fabulous and was a good start to the day. Good choice and self service. Staff were extremely helpful and provided a good service. We had a meal in the lounge bar which was very nice. The walk into Harrogate took about 10 minutes and we used the rear entrance as it was quicker this way. It was a good location to use as a base for Harrogate. We had a very good weekend and this was due in large part to a good stay at Cedar Court Hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We stayed at the Cedar Court as we were exhibiting at the Home & Gift fair. I had 3 other colleagues with me. One of the colleagues was added on to my origional booking as it was a late decission for him to attend. I called up knowing full well that there would not be another room available (which there wasn't) So i asked for him to be put into a twin room with another colleague.This was fine and confirmed.
We arrived to check in only to find out that who ever had taken my call to amend the booking hadn't bothered to update the computer therefore my colleagues would have to share a double bed!!!!! A staff member eventually arrived at the room with a CAMP BED!! (It turned out that this CAMP BED collapsed during the night giving my colleague not only a terrible sleep but terrible back pain through out the next day.
Upon arrival to my room 272 i found it to be OK nothing special, clean with not a bad view. Unfortunatly the TV was on a floor stand that was on the same level as the bed so it was painful to watch TV. The channels are very limited and there is no Sky TV. The kettle would only give you a luke warm cuppa and very limited selection of Coffee and Tea etc. The room had no aircon and was extremely hot especially as the heated towel rail was on full and couldn't be ajusted. Had to open the window but was extremely noisey from the passing traffic. A very uncomfortable bed too.The drainage system is very poor also as the sink filled right up even with the plug and took forever to drain as did the bath. After having a bath on my last nights stay i awoke to find the water still in the bath.
Breakfast is served in what can only be described as a ball room a very smelly room. It smelt quite like an Old mans bedroom. A good selection of Breakfast although i must say please stay away from the Pork and Leek Sausages they repeat on you all day. The Toaster is rubbish too and cant be ajusted.
I was told when booking that the hotel was a 5 minute walk from the Exhibition centre this is incorrect it must have been a good 20 minute walk.
On my last night i asked for a wake up call for 6.30 am the next morning. This did not happen.
Next time we are Exhibiting at Harrogate we will not be using this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights last week and couldn't really fault this hotel.
It is a 5-10 minute walkt o the town centre and easy to find. There is a big car park to the rear as well as the one out front. Check in was quick and easy. My room was at the end of a corridor and very spacious, with a decent bathroom. I was not disturbed once during the night and could hear nothing much at all, despite my room being on the first floor, overlooking the main road and the carpark.
I had room service on two nights and the food was great, though the portions were enormous! It took about 30 minutes to arrive each time but was worth the wait. Breakfast was in an enormous room and there was plenty of choice.
No air conditioning could have been an issue if it had been warm (but it was cold and cloudy)and the tv only has 5 channels (but I had better things to do than sit in watching it). I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
derbyshire
Reviewed 13 July 2009

May not be central, but only a 5 minute walk into town. Room was lovely and clean, staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple