“Smells old, looks old with no signs of life.”
Review of Ashley House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrogate
Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #87 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Smells old, looks old with no signs of life.”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

The hotel is situated in a nice street filled with nice B&B's and hotels. Unfortunately, we stayed in probably one of the worst hotels in Yorkshire, let alone Harrogate. Our stay was for one night, thank god! The hotel is very dated, untidy and in need of a lot of repairs. The reception area is a tiny little box, that had keys just left hanging around, and no staff. We waited 10 minutes before anyone turned up to give us our keys. On the way upto our room I noticed that doors/handles on other rooms seemed broken or had damages. Our room itself had a door lock that would not lock? A television that did not work, and a double bed which was in fact two single beds pushed together! In the bathroom was a piece of soap that had obviously been used in the past, and hairs (not just one) that looked like they had been sprinkled in the shower. The breakfast in the morning was a shambles, with a waiter who could not speak or understand English properly, and then we received our food cold, which is fine if you want Corn Flakes instead of a cooked breakfast! I suggest not to ruin your trip to Harrogate by staying here, they are much nicer B&B's and Hotels in the same street, and probably the same price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed at Ashley House for 1 night in Aug 2012.
Have to say at £75.00 it was not good value, other than its location!!
The bed was clean and comfy, the toilet and sink were also clean, although the shower could have done with a good scrub!!
Room very dated and tired, carpet worn, wallpaper patched up in places.
All this was kind of acceptable until we went down off breakfast the next morning.
OMG! We arrived at the breakfast room at 9am. Firstly there was nobody ther to greet us. After about 5 mins of waiting a young girl came out and told us where to sit. This was on the same table as 2 other couples (awkward). The table hadn't been cleared from the last diners. Plates, food and tea cups were left there until the waitress appeared. Even then we had to ask her to clear the table for us! She put all the dirty plates on a high chair behind us, she then picked up a used cereal bowl from another table, along with my wife's unused napkin to wipe the crumbs and food off the table cloth! At this point she hadn't even spoken to us to say hello, good morning or would you like a drink? We asked for a drink and was told to help ourselves. There was no coffee or juices available, nor were there any clean bowls for cereal. We ordered tea and received it by 9.20. At this point the other guests were laughing and joking about how long they had been waiting. There was a man on the next table to us who had been waiting for around 40 mins for a full English. He asked the waitress why other people were being served before he was although he'd been waiting longer? The answer from the waitress was that he had ordered poached egg, where as the others had ordered fried! The chef will cook all the same orders together regardless who was first. This helped cause a lot of unavailble tables, next to us a lady had finished her breakfast, whilst her husband hadn't yet received his. We finally received our breakfast at 9.53 and yes it was cold. We ordered fresh Tom, with no Sausage. We got Sausage with no Tom!! At this point we had to laugh, because everyone in the breakfast room was just joking about how bad the service was.
I have said in previous reviews that I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. On this occasion £75.00 is way way too high!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Leeds
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at this Hotel with my wife as I was attending a wedding nearby. The first thing I noticed was that it was fairly awkward and complicated to unlock my room door. I noticed that the people in the adjacent room were having the same problem. The room its self was dated and the staff had given up trying to paint the room and had half the wall bare. There was a poor effort at filling a hole on another wall. The bathroom was small and carpeted for some reason with a dank smell. The shower was dirty, but I didn't use this at any point. The bathroom itself was very small and I couldn't really sit on the toilet with the room door shut. There was also small spec of feces left in the toilet to greet me and the cold tap ran hot water. My room door had to be locked from the inside (which wasn't explained to me) and my bedroom window wouldn't shut. I went to reception for assistance and there was nobody manning the desk. Eventually somebody tuned up. When I asked for assistance the woman and rolled their eyes before making a half baked effort to try and explain to me how the lock worked. She did, however, eventually reluctantly agree to show me how to lock my door and shut my window for me after giving me s sarcastic look. Although the service at breakfast was quite good, the actually meal wasn't enough and seemed undercooked and cold. I'd also like to mention that the room my in-laws stayed in looked like the door had been kicked down. I have also noticed that other people have mentioned this when reviewing this hotel. Very disappointed. Poor value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Matt69Leeds
Yoko B, Manager at Ashley House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
I am sorry to hear that you felt that way. You stayed in room 21 and we do have guests in this room just day before but there was no complain that its that difficult to open the door. Yes all the doors are lockable from inside and we show you how to do it. The shower and toilet are not that small and we didn't get any complain till now for it. I do apologies that you find our joke sarcastic about your window. We are always there to help but as we are guest house we don't have person staying on the reception all day and we do have other regular duties in our office which is just behind the door, you just need to ring the bell for attention. breakfast is always freshly cooked after your order and its serve to you in very hot plate, so i cant except that breakfast was cold as it is not possible. If it was not enough we are always happy to serve you more and we always ask if our guests need something else. And yes we are not four star hotel we are B&B with four star accommodation.I am really sorry one more time that you felt that way.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Booked Azalea hotel but was transferred to the Ashley Court Hotel so that several family bookings could be together. Yes the hotel is a little dated BUT it was clean and comfortable,the staff were very pleasant and the breakfast was very nice,could of had a later one if we had wanted. The bed was very comfortable and the quiet location meant a good nights sleep. Didn't even hear a certain family member whose snoring is legend. Close to town centre,a good choice for an overnight stay,in fact this is a second visit for one of us. Would stay again even though the cold tap stopped working as we were about to leave ( I'm sure it's a temporary glitch due to the time of day).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ashleyliving, Manager at Ashley House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you very much for the positive comments. Its always encouraging when customers acknowledge the hard work of our team as its what we aim for. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I had booked Aston Hotel on-line through a Hotel website. On arrival at Aston House, I rang the bell, knocked the door then found the front door opened - so I walked in. I still could not find anybody but fortunately there was a mobile phone number pasted up. I telephoned to be told - the same as other reviewers, that I had been upgraded to a Hotel around the corner - Ashley House. It was annoying that I had not been informed of this when booking as I didnt book Ashley and was carrying suitacse from Car to Reception to Car to Reception even before I saw anyone. I arrived at Ashley and was shown to my room and en-suite which was acceptable. Breakfast the next morning was fine although the mushrooms were dia! But hey, I slept well, the mattress was Ok and the Chinese lady who owns it was very nice. 30 GBP was an OK price for a bed and some food on Thursday 2 August. I certainly would not want to pay more.

Room Tip: Find out which of their four hotels the owner intends you sleeping in before you book otherwise you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PoshNoshSouthampton
We do apologies for the inconvenient, we normally try to contact the guest previous day to let them know we would like to upgrade them when we have that chance. Thank you for the good points an d we hope to see you again.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Just stayed at the Ashley court hotel for an overnighter as we were visiting relatives in Harrogate. This hotel is not a 4star as advertised. We were greeted by a very nice lady when we booked in. Our room was rather small for a double but clean, bed was very comfortable, shower was a bit small and the toilet rocked a bit when you sat on it. Breakfast was nice, you had a choice which was good. Overall the hotel could do with a lick of paint but ideally situated for the shopping area as it was only a five minute walk to centre. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for the positive comments. we always work hard to offer good and friendly service and I’m so glad your visit was enjoyable. I will pass your feedback onto the team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.We are trying as well to improve our service and all points you mentioned are really helpful for us.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We recently attended the Hearth & Home exhibition. on arrival at Harrogate, we called to Ashley House and agreed a price for a doubl and a single room for 5 nights. We paid there and then by debit card. Five days later on check out, we were told we must pay an extra £150. The owner, said the receptionist that had charged us on arrival was just a "worker" and hadn't charged us enough. We felt we had no alternative but to pay the extra "rip-off". Also there was one tiny piece of soap and half a toilet roll for two people in the double room to last us the five days! Never again.

Joe Goodfellow. Ireland 00353 87 7765206

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Joseph G
ashleyliving, Manager at Ashley House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
I'm sorry for the inconvenient, but when you call us the price was already quoted to you. On your check in you paid but you didn't mention to the receptionist that you already spoken with me and i gave you price,so she give you alternative accommodation which was wrong. In this case we have the right to charge you full price as agreed in our previous conversation. About the toilet paper and the soap, we always keep some spare near the reception,so if we miss to provide in the room you can take any time.