“"Disgusting, Dirty and very Un-hygienic"”
Review of Ashley House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrogate
Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #88 of 100 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“"Disgusting, Dirty and very Un-hygienic"”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked a double room at the Ashley House for 1 ngt. While I was waiting outside with my car (Due to parking permits) My partner entered the Building to find a telephone with 2 numbers to dial to make contact with the owner. After a lengthy conversation he was asked to take the key of the counter and the telephone was put down. Nobody advised him where the room was, after 5-10 minutes searching the house he eventually found our room. He then returned back to me outside and told me I better come inside before un-loading the car. When I got into the house I couldn't believe my eyes , I have never seen anything like it in my life!!! It was like an abandoned house that had been burgled. The smell was dreadful and it was so dirty it was unbearable My partner took me to our room , I was speechless the bed hadn't been made and dirt was within the covers. The pillows still had head marks in them from the person who had slept in the bed before. There where used, wet towels all over the floor and bed, it was absolutely disgusting. We called the phone again and told the lady we was leaving and wanted a refund straight away. As we was leaving a family with 2 small children was arriving , there also couldn't believe their eyes. We luckily got a double room at the holiday inn with our friends :)We later discovered that the family who was booking in as we was leaving Ashley house had also asked for a refund and got a room at the holiday inn. What makes the experience worse, the weekend in Harrogate was my birthday present for my partners birthday and it was the first time we had left our 10 month old daughter over night with grandparents. Please, please don't book this guest house under any circumstances. I wouldn't even let a dog sleep it such scowler !!!

Room Tip: Don't Stop At This Guest House !!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hewy1981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Harrogate
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Other reviews are insane. This is lovely hotel. Staff are very helpful and informative excellent location. And clean room with everything you need, very comfortable and clean room and good night sleep.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lukejrkay
Grimsby
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed a the Ashley house in harrogate and it was lovely . The lady booking us in was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. She made it a lovely weekend. The room was very nice and clean with a large tv. And access to straighteners and dryers etc in room. Room very comfy and and had a pleasant night sleep. Very homely cottagey feel. And so close to town to walk. Very central but not on top of noise I will definately be booking here next time I come to harrogate.

• Stayed March 2014
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

So I booked at another B&B over the road, however they rang me and said they have "upgraded" me to the Ashley house! If this was an upgrade I dread to think what the other B&B was like!
On my arrival there was a huge dog, which i am not fond of anyway barking at me. At this point I thought i would be polite! Then I was asked to pay in full before seeing my room, (I was actually asked to pay more than £47 per night without breakfast) which if I saw my "upgraded" room I would of ran for my life. I stopped in room 11 - the sauna! Awful room black stuff everywhere, it stank! The bed was quite comfy like, think that is the only positive here. Then at 7.07am the Chinese lady tried to get into my room, 7.07am??? Really???
I wasn't expecting much for the price, however if I was to stay there again, they would have to pay me!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Htfcterry

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Horley
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here recently and found everything to be fine and good value for money. Had a huge room in the annex with a great view which was lovely . The landlady was friendly, chatty and welcoming and cooked me a good breakfast.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I booked this B&B for myself and a few friends... The location and prove seemed great for the middle of Harrogate... However on arrival WOW what a stench, my friends and I were almost sick at the smell of fish and wet dog. We decided to give this place a chance as was only one night - we were given keys and told to find own rooms, the rooms were very small and dated. Cold water in the tiny shower room ( no hot ) there was burn holes in the bedding ( we paid for a double room was more like a 3/4 bed with a single quilt ) in the other room there was blood on the walls!
The next day I realised I had left something belonging me in the room so I rang the B&B, the lady was very very rude to me on the phone and told me to ring back ' later ' as she couldn't be bothered to go check! I decided to make my way down there myself and on entry she told me my belongings weren't there. I asked to take a look myself - she reluctantly gave me the key.. I went to the room and looked exactly where I thought it would be - next to tv. They weren't there but stuffed behind the tv out of sight ! What is going on here !? If your going to stay here - think again and pay that extra £10 to stay somewhere BETTER.
Also breakfast is not included in your £50 a night ... She told us ' to pay £15, or go to wetherspoons ! ' rude !!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 19Louise90
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Where do I start, the unpleasant potent smell on arrival or the blood stained window panes? In fact I will start with cleanliness of the hotel in general. From the reception leading to the bedrooms, I must admit, I have stayed in Indian guest houses in Delhi that can demonstrate a greater desire to present their guest house in a cleaner manner. I did not mind that our bedroom was on the top floor, however I would of appreciated if there were less hurdles to avoid en-route up the stairs. I found myself tripping over running cables on the top of the landings - surely a Health and Safety hazard that must be addressed. The bed sheets were clean however, the huge cigarette burns soon spilt that. The TV remote was bigger than the TV. The interior is dated and worn, I would highly recommend the hotel to refurbish and take on-board my comments and the comments of others to better their B&B - after all why did you sign-up to receive customer reviews on Trip Advisor if you are simply just going to disregard them? I was VERY disappointed on the prices charged per room WITHOUT breakfast. I did enquire for breakfast in the morning however I was redirected to a Weatherspoons around the corner by the B&B staff. On the plus side, I had a great nights sleep, which I put down to one to many Vodka and cokes. To ensure repeat business I would recommend impeccable after sales customer service, which this place lacks (allow me to eliberate) - a relative of mine left her straighteners in the room, so she contacted the B&B and were told a pack of lies - I wouldn't be surprised to see these straighteners on eBay. To summarise, I will not be staying at this hotel again unless management do address the many problems that have been highlighted by other visitors and until then, I do not feel this B&B fit for purpose.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends