“Bad from start to finish” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
North Yorkshire
“Bad from start to finish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The first problem i encountered was trying to book a room on a saturday evening, which apparently you can not do. I would have not booked after this experience but was attending a wedding at The Old Swan so was easier to stay there. There were 2 weddings on the same day and this meant the car park was very full and had to park on a ruble area at the back of the hotel. The only positive point was how helpful the porter was who went with my husband to collect our bags from the car. We went for a quiet drink in the hotel bar and was quite rudely told to use the bar in the wedding reception rather than the main hotel bar! We were stood waiting for ten minutes at breakfast before anyone noticed us and the service did not get any better was slow and had to repeatedly ask for things. The food was poor - the fried egg was swimming in a pool of oil and the toast was only half toasted! When we came to settle the bill we were told by a young man whose english was poor that our room rate was £10 more than we were told on the phone and what was on the room card which we were given on arrival which was overpiced at £100 and expected a better service for a hotel charging that amount.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank babeprincess
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am sorry that you found our facilities and service below par. It is unfortunate that you did not make us aware of your disatisfaction at the time and give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves however I have noted your comments and will be ensuring that we try not to repeat these errors.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Malton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

My wife and I had a one night stay this week and everything associated with the stay was of a high standard. The hotel has traditional decor but the rooms have been modernised. The receptionist was extremely efficient and friendly and set the standard for the rest of the stay. The room was large and there was a balance between the traditional element of the hotel and modern facilities. As part of our stay we received free afternoon tea which was a choice of sandwiches and scones. We booked dinner in advance with an allowance. Breakfast was also included in our stay. All staff we came into contact with were friendly and professional. The stay was excellent value for money. All in all, would recommend to others.

2 Thank ljr1026
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear reviewer, thank you for your positive review, it means a lot to the team who work hard to look after our customers. Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay.
Southport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

Great Location, near to the Town Centre with a large car park. Hotel prices a little on the steep side for me. The real negative though was the 'hairy' face cloth and 'stained' curtains ... not really 4star quality!

It is a Hotel with some charm as it's period features and surroundings lend themselves to what 'could' be an excellent romantic getaway ... however does need to 'fix' those little niggles especially as it's not a cheap place to stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have had an obvious re-furb ... seek those as a starter!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear reviewer, apologies that we did not meet our usual high standards on this occaision and that certain elements of your stay were unacceptable. Apologies once more and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves soon.
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We had BB & Dinner & a room upgrade for £100, great value. The public rooms bar and restaurant were well maintained. Our room upgrade got us a suite , so we had breakfast in the room, very nice. The staff were friendly. The Hotel is very handy for the town centre, so no parking problems because the hotel has plenty of spaces.

DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you for your constructive comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Kippers, or smoked haddock with a properly poached egg for breakfast; well-maintained grounds to just wander around in, lots of parking; clean quiet rooms, fresh milk on demand and staff who smile and say "Hello" as if they mean it all make this a very good place to stay. The additional advantages of being in Harrogate (Bettys, the Stray, the Turkish Baths) and in the centre but on a quiet road, and Harrogate itself being in Yorkshire (pubs, markets, hills) are just a bonus.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Southville
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased that your recent visit to Harrogate was enjoyable!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

My partner and I love Harrogate and we normally stay at the Old Swan. We last stayed on 1st July. The staff are always helpful and friendly. The rooms are more than adequate, large, clean although sometimes a little hot at night. The bar and restaurant are fab. Very handy location to access Harrogate town centre and you can leave your car on the carpark after checkout, whilst piling on the pounds at Bettys t shop! Definitely recommend.

1 Thank claretcz
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you for your recent review and I am pleased that your experience met our usual high standards!
Thanks again
Rutland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Having stayed in Harrogate over Christmas at a different hotel with a minute car park we were relieved to find no trouble parking in the Swan's huge car park. We arrived early but were welcomed warmly and told our room was ready. We had booked an executive room which I would not say was large (compared to our previous Harrogate hotel). However it was more than adequate for our needs and the important thing was that the beds and pillows were very comfortable. What a pleasure also to have photographs on the walls of real scenes instead of the 'modern unidentifiable blobs' alot of hotels seem to have nowadays. We would have like the tea tray and biscuits to be on the talble rather than in the wardrobe for us to get out and locate a socket. However, it was great to have a teapot, no other hotel we have stayed in has provided this, it's just been dunk a teabag in a cup, so top marks there. Loved the view over the garden and trees. I found opening the window very annoying, it took me a day to work out that I had to turn it 'inside out' for it to stay open. The bathroom was small and the one shelf over the sink was taken up with the hotels toiletries etc. A quick reorgnisation soon solved that problem. The shower was excellent, I could have stayed under it for ages, although we would have preferred a walk in shower to one over the bath, but that is purely personal, I expect some people prefer a bath and there certainly wasn't room for a vath and a separate shower.
The lounge and bar area was large and comfortable and service excellent. I thought the cocktails a little expensive and limited myself to the Agatha on the last evening, highly recommended.
I agree with comments regarding the restaurant, the staff were lovely and I could see that they were working very hard, but I think it would have helped them as well as the guests if as someone else has suggested, each member of staff was allocated to a set number of tables, particularly on very busy Saturday nights. The restaurant manager should supervise the staff and notice if some guests are not being attended to. May I also suggest that the hotel invests in some proper size wine glasses, not those small glasses, I don't like my red wine to the top of the glass. When I asked for a larger glass I was provided with one, a somewhat too large glass! The food was excellent and nicely presented. The porridge and boiled eggs I had on two morning were perfect.
There were a few other niggles but I have said enough and all in all we had a really enjoyable stay at the Old Swan and would most definately stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ourworld
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review of your recent stay, I appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit!
Thanks again