“Good first impression” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
UK
“Good first impression”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

The outside is lovely and makes a great first impression, sitting in a quiet side street just off the centre. It has a wide, impressive front covered in greenery. Inside, it's quite oldy worldy: the stairs and old-style lift felt a bit drab, as did the corridors. The room was spacious and very nicely appointed with quality fixtures. Very comfortable bed and a nice bathroom.

Slightly odd (though you could see it as fashionably quirky) is that none of the floors upstairs, in the rooms or corridors, appeared to be completely flat, for example the sideboard with the tea & coffee making kit was sitting on a pronounced slope.

The dining room in particular is quite stunning with a very high ornate ceiling. You can easily expect a palm court quartet would strike up and that in years gone by grand balls would have taken place here. Breakfast is served here - and very good it was too. A large table inthe centre of the room with a big selection of cereals, fruits and pastries. The toast and cooked breakfast are clealry cooked to order. (I was particularly impressed that the plum tomatoes were fresh, not tinned).

All in all, a nice place to stay - very handy to stroll into the centre, while still being in a quiet location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Just like to say that my stay here for two weeks was excellent!!! I considered the food to be good and the service excellent. You do have to like old buildings though to appreciate your stay. It's clean throughout but retains that old feeling which I dare say if you expect an antiseptic modern feel you'd be disappointed. There's plenty of creaky floorboards which make the hotel more suited to the Agatha Christie crime writers convention than a club 18-30 night out! It's in a good place just a short walk from the centre of Harrogate but in a quiet setting. There is a difference in the standard of rooms that I saw but the main problem might be if you have that creaky floorboard outside your door. The majority of staff.... well all I met with the exception of one, were really friendly. Can I make a special mention of Kelly who always had a smile on her face and you felt like nothing would be to much trouble... She's one of the best customer focussed staff that I have ever come across. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room at the front of the hotel and at the end of a corridor not the start
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

My wife has always wanted to stay here so this was a birthday treat,generally it worked out OK but for a little effort and attention to detail the experience could be have been so much better.
The young man on reception was professional and charming.
The setting and exterior of the hotel is as you would expect, we had afternoon tea which was adequate but seemed a bit pricey for what it was. The restaurant setting is excellent and again the food is adequate to good but for a "name" hotel could be a lot better - ditto for service.
The room was spacious and well furnished and the en-suite was spacious but a bit grubby ( floor, radiator etc.) the decor of some public areas was scruffy and the fire doors for instance were very utilitarian, skirtings were battered ditto the handrails.
This may sound like nit- picking but the point I am making is that for a little investment and training coupled with a bit of thought on the part of management, this hotel could move up from adequate to outstanding.
Generally we enjoyed our visit but please, Old Swan - a little attention to the details!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Max P
Tarleton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

First impressions from the outside are grand, our greeting at reception was good, friendly and efficient and our service in the bar was good (special mention to Ian the Bar Manager who was exceptional) - but the room and especially the Restaurant let the experience down.

The room - basic, very dated, granted it was clean but a very tired room. I booked and paid for an Executive Room - but nowhere could I find the robes etc and to be honest if thats the standard of an Exec room then I worry what the standard rooms are like! The corridors and common areas are very dark and again tired, paint flaking off the walls, large stains on the carpets.

The Restaurant - we booked a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast Package. Mistake. Should have eaten in Harrogate which is only a short walk away. We were shown to a table - the dining room is a large open plan and souless expanse with a dated, cracked and dirty glass ceiling - after being shown to a table and given water we ordered. My partners starter was ok, mine was not, i ordered carpaccio (came still frozen) and was very poor. Worse was to come - my partners main of salmon was cold (piping hot plate - stone cold food), my steak was cooked Med Well not Med Rare as I had asked and was a weird grey colour in the middle, oh and I was never given a steak knife either. We waited but no-one came back to us so being hungry we ate some. However I left some of my steak to show someone - on clearing our plates we were asked how it was - so we told them we were unhappy, she apologised and said the manager would come and see us (one of 2 guys in suits keeping a low profile by the till I suspected). Nobody came back to us - but a fellow diner from the next table came over and asked to speak to us - he was on night 2 of 3 but said his food and service was equally poor on both nights and they were checking out a day early! We never saw anyone again that night but on going back into the bar the barman asked how we had got on, we said and he was very embarrassed.

Breakfast was a shambles apart from one young waitress (Becky) who was on the night before who was lovely, we waited ages to be served, the tea/coffee were cold, the toast was cold and supprise supprise the Great Yorkshire Breakfast was undercooked and . . . .cold!

On checking out I relayed my concerns to the Receptionist who without asking discounted our bill - I don't think we were the first ones that morning to have that conversation and judging from the queue of grumpy looking people behind us weren't the last either.

Overall - avoid - it trades of its history and location but sadly is a very poor example, I would wouldn't recommend it. Its 2 star at best - certainly not 4 star!

1 Thank mysticfruitbat

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

keighley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Our stay at Old Swan was a perfect pleasure. From telephone booking to leaving it has been a delight. Staff are especially friendly and smiley and unlike some other hotels they seem aware of their guests and welcome their presence. The room was good with all the facilities one would want. All meals were excellent, and served quickly by friendly helpful staff.

Room Tip: We were there on a deal and upgraded for a few pounds more to an executive room.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Kind regards
David
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Recently stayed in the Old Swan in Harrogate. The hotel its self is in an excellent location walking distance to the town centre and most of the sites. The setting is stunning and the bar and public areas are like taking a step back to the 1920s (in the very best possible way). The rooms let it down slightly being very small and in need of a little TLC, however this in no way detracted from our visit and I would definitely recommend it for a night or two.

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

It cost me £140 to stay here for one night and it was so overpriced for what it was. The whole place reminded me of the hotel from The Shining. Very creepy. The room was scruffy and tiny. There was hardly any room to walk around it. And the door didn't fit the door frame properly with about a 2 inch gap at the bottom. Bit weird. I didn't like it here and I won't stay there again. The only positive thing I suppose is the location of the hotel. It is perfect because it is only a 5 minute walk to the town centre.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business