“Great location”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Lovely old building and lots of history. Rooms clean and spacious. Needs a fortune spending on it to modernise it.
Parking is plentiful and town centre minutes walk away. A great base. Food is getting better also.
There are better hotels in town, but this works well for a 1 night stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bnez
Write a ReviewReviews (1,783)

Reviewed 31 January 2013

This was my 3rd visit to this splendid old hotel to celebrate my 14th wedding anniversary and again proved to be the prefect choice for a romantic getaway. Our room was AMAZING and oozed 1920's charm and style, the 4 poster bed was great too! The service at the Old Swan is professional, courteous and most importantly - warm and welcoming. Millie on reception was brilliant and made us feel so special...as was the waitress who helped me pick the healthiest(trying to shed the Christmas pounds!) option out of a delicious menu! We are already looking forward to next January! I would recommend to any travellers with excellent taste and a love of quirky, stylish, period hotels.

3  Thank yorshirejan
Reviewed 27 January 2013

we have just stayed at the old swan in harrogate and the rooms were lovely we had bath robes and slippers . the bathrooms were realy nice they and realy big. there was lovely open fires in reception and bar area. the staff were all very friendly. the breackfast was realy good the plates were hot . realy nice hotel

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank golfwakefield
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is a lovely tradiitional English hotel, it's in a great location, a few minutes walk into the centre of Harrogate, huge free carpark. I've stayed several times, the rooms are always clean and fresh, comfy bed and good bathroom. Breakfast is enjoyable, with all the usual, Dinner is'nt Michelin star but better than average for a large hotel. I'll defintely go again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jo B
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We booked for the Murder Mystery dinner with B&B. Our room was fine - no complaints about it at all. It was an easy walk into Harrogate town centre, although the snow made it a bit tricky underfoot, but that was nothing to do with the hotel! We enjoyed coffee and cakes at Betty's.
The Murder Mystery was OK, although the meal was pretty terrible and definitely not worth the money we paid. It was also served much later than we anticipated - the first course wasn't served until 8.15p.m. and the coffee not until after 10p.m. Apparently it was the first performance for the actress who controlled the pace of the event (the police detective), and we felt she could (and should) have been more assertive so that the hotel staff could serve the food in between each 'scene' . We were very hungry by the time food arrived and not really in the mood for guessing 'who dun it'!
Breakfast was in a very impressively huge dining room, but we have had much better breakfasts. The staff were polite and friendly enough and service was adequate.
We are near enough to visit Harrogate for the day and will certainly do that when the weather is more clement. Lots of nice shops to browse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden
2  Thank Blippo
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I have just returned from a birthday treat to the hotel, my first impression was good the building looked very elegant with its own free car park, and the location was perfect a very easy walk into town. The reception rooms we very nice.

Bedroom - was nice with a large double bed, decor a bit dated but that’s what I expected from an old hotel. It was snowing outside and it would have been nice if there had been 2 sachets of hot chocolate instead of one for a double room with 2 guests.
Bathroom – was clean and had been refurnished toilet have a cheap plastic seat, however I did find broken glass on the floor and when I went to fill the bath the hot water ran very quickly and the water was very hot (which is a good thing) I then added the cold for minute and then tested it and unfortunately I slightly scorched my hand, as I was unaware the hot and cold taps both ran boiling water . I was unable to cool the bath water down so had to have a shower. As we were only staying for one night I put up with inconvenience.

We were totally let down by the food at this hotel, when we arrived in the restaurant as 8 o’clock we were taken to our table and I immediately noticed the paper was coming away from the ceiling. We looked at the menu and when the waiter came over he said I hope you don’t want the chicken as we only have one left, we did both want the chicken so I went for the vegi option instead. There was only another 3 couples in the restaurant. The food was not great at all, it arrived cold and hot red hot plates. The cheese board was a laugh with its 3 very small piece of cheese, and 3 grapes.

Breakfast was disgusting my husband ordered the Yorkshire breakfast which arrived with uncooked black pudding, mushy dried up beans and watery mushrooms. I ordered poached egg on toast and when it arrived the egg yolks where hard boiled, both breakfasts were left. The coffee was cold.

We were on the winter special which is very good value for money, the weather was terrible with snow blizzards so we had to leave early and never got a change to have a good look round Harrogate but we have decided to return in few weeks – will go back to the Swan maybe but it would have to be room only basis.

2  Thank Flowerpot1962
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Whilst on business I stayed here with an ailing partner (Chewsy) who struggled to stay warm due to the snow. The bar was cold and Chewsy couldn't get warm due to her illness (sore tummy). To be fair to the hotel they saw her shaking and provided a portable radiator in order to make her more comfortable which helped so we stayed for two drinks. They also gave her free pretzels. After the drink Chewsy had to find her way around a maize of corridors to her room which wasn't as easy to find as we thought it would be and because the building was cold Chewsy felt cold also. This was the same vice versa finding the bar again. We were encouraged to book a table for tea even though there was only 5 couples in the massive dining room. Tea was fine but when we went for another quick drink in the bar there was no bar man so we didn't bother (could have done with some more free pretzels because there wasn't a lot of tea for the price). The corridors were a little noisy at sleep time and my bed was too small but there was plenty of space in the car park. Breakfast was fine but wasn't very big but by this time Chewsy was feeling better so it didn't matter.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business