“Good hotel and location”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Friendly reception staff and quick check-in. The hotel only has one small lift which can be quite slow.. could do with more based on the hotel's size. I had a single room which was very small, rear view over the overflow carpark and noisy pipes! It was quite noisy when other guests went past and said their goodnights... Breakfast is very good, plenty of serve yourself cold items and serve at seat for hot food. Dining room can become a bit noisy as it is huge, same or evening meals. Groups stay here so it can get quite full all at once.. Nice place to stay but ask for a quiet room.... also where agatha Christie turned up after her mystery disappearance!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank panda60
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for your review and I am sorry that it was not entirely satisfactory, a bit noisy.

Generally the rear of the hotel is quieter and I would remind others to please inform us of any exceptionally noisy incidents and we will do our best to remedy the situation.

Yes unfortunately our old Victorian heating system occaisionally make noises, usually when coming on or going off, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Again if anything out of the 'ordinary' seems to be going on we would advise guests to let us know and we will do our best to resolve the situation.

David

Write a ReviewReviews (1,779)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed 4 days,on the whole the accomodation was good.Our room was unbearably warm for October,even with the heating turned off and the use of a fan the room was still warm! The meals were OK ,no complaints at the service we received at breakfast and the first 2 evening meals.However the third evening service was something else.Our table was not laid out completely,missing serviettes,no butter on the table.We sat at our table waiting for someone to take our order for ages.When we eventually attracted the attention of a waitress we were told that our order had not been taken because they were waiting for the table to fill up,we were 3 people sitting at a table for 4 people,at no time did anyone enquire if a fourth person was sitting with us. After the meal we were served a cup of coffee but that was as good as it goes.The waitressess seem to offer extra coffee to all the other tables in the room but appeared to give our table a wide berth!Don,t know why as we couldn,t ask any of the servers as none came anywhere near us,maybe we had a forcefield around our table that they could not penetrate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay and I apologise that your third dining experience was below par. I have discussed your comments with my Restaurant Manager who will be reviewing procedures and ensuring this was a one off.

Sorry for the mix up and I am pleased to read that your were able to have a more positive experience on the previous occasions.

Hope you visit us again in Harrogate soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Shocked by the unprofessional nature of the staff.
We booked 2 rooms and gave our credit card details.
Received an email 'guarenteeing' our reservations.

On the evening we arrived in Harrogate, the hotel said there were no rooms, and left us in the lurch!

Very poor service! Would never recommend.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere... try the Holiday Inn!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KPCV
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for your helpful review.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this error.

I also apologise for the late notice of this issue and as was explained at the time when you spoke with our duty manager we are are not in the habit of such situations, however issues do arise occaisionally and unfortunately we do need to deal with them. It is an incident where neither party can be happy with the situation and I apologise for the disruption it caused.

Whilst I appreciate your distress I am not sure how you felt in the 'lurch' as we did find alternative accommodation which according to your Tripadvisor review of Ash Grove you seemed happy with.

I am sorry that you were disappointed and felt the need to leave such a poor review and hope that you can accept the offer we have made in the two emails we have since sent.

I hope to meet you soon and am happy to discuss this matter further if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Thank you for a very nice overnight stay. Friendly staff and excellent value for money. Situated just a few minutes walk from the town center, with it shops restaurants and bars.
Some parts of the hotel are a little tired but you can see that the management are attending to this and making improvements.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for you positive comments, as you say the Old Swan hotel is perfectly located near the town centre but is also far enough away from the hustle and bustle to provide a peaceful break.

Thank you also for noting our ongoing improvement activities, we are currently painting the external woodwork and pipework plus all of the corridor areas inside the hotel. We are also planning several improvements in our bedrooms in the next few months.

Thanks again

Reviewed 24 October 2013

we have just stayed for 4 nights at the old swan hotel Harrogate,we were part of a coach party, our cases were taken of the coach, bought to our room,the room we were allogated,was not to our satisfaction,room 190 not much room between the bedside table & the wardrobe, to get to the bathroom,shower over the bath,toilet behind a partition,& it was a long walk through lots of doors, from the lift. My husband phoned reception they obliged us with another room,331, to which someone fetched us & took us to the room,2 floors up, out of the lift, through 1 door, there it was,roomy, walk in shower,very nice, our cases were redirected,very well organised,resturant staff,very nice,nothing to much trouble, food very good,nice bar to sit & relax,with an after meal drink,there is nothing wrong with the resturant decor,after all it it a very old building that has character.

Room Tip: if you are not to good at walking, room 331 or there about is a good choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Old Swan hotel.

We have many different types of room so it is always worth asking to move if something is not quite right and we are keen to ensure guests are comfortable during their stay.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was greeted with outstanding customer service at reception and that level of service continued throughout my stay, the breakfast has even got better which was great before but outstanding presentation now, many thanks

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to post your comments, your positive is much appreciated by the team and I and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The hotel could do with a serious make over. The doors are tatty, the chairs in the restaurant re also tatty, the décor in the restaurant is insipid and does not do the room justice. The room was OK but needed more than to pictures over the bed. A couple of more pictures would make it more comfortable looking. A good dust would also be helpful, the bedside tables were thick with dust and all the light fittings had not been dusted in some time. The sink in the bathroom was too small and the taps too big so it was near impossible to wash or shave. The water did not go down the plughole very quickly so there was serious danger of overflowing when the tap was run. The curtains are insipid and the stripy carpet made your eyes go funny. The room could be so much better for just some minor touches to make it feel more in keeping with the building and it's heritage.

I had to ask for a lean wine glass and clean cutlery in the restaurant. The staff did not seem to be sure of which table was being served as we were presented with pate before we had even ordered, and the wine we ordered was taken to another table first.

The food was OK but not brilliant and lacks vegetables- I had a tiny piece of pork loin with allegedly chorizo potato ( didn't find any chorizo and there was certainly no taste of chorizo!) it had three bits of apple and that was it for £20! At least one vegetable would have given it colour and make t more of a dish.

Breakfast was disorganised with lots of tables in need of clearing. Despite asking for a runny egg and making a point of it, I received an only just runny egg, the coffee was cold and we had to ask for some more and specify hot coffee. I had to hunt around the other table for jam pots and sauces for the rather skinny ( and apologies for upsetting Yorkshire people- I am from Yorkshire stock myself) Yorkshire breakfast that confirms the generally held opinion of Yorkshire people being tight! Hardly a hearty breakfast for a good day's adventure. It apparently costs £14.95 unless included in the room price- you would be better off going to any of the local cafe's and tea rooms!

The staff also looked untidy, shirts hanging out, long hair left down- unacceptable in a food service environment!

I was disappointed that the hotel did not live up to expectations but I have been in much better quality 3 star hotels and overall not worth the money.

Some small attentions to detail would vastly improve this tired and unloved hotel. It is definitely in the faded glory category

It is however in a good central location and I would go back if I was sure the details had been addressed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for posting your constructive comments and I apologise that your stay was below par.

I have noted your feedback and will be reviewing it with the relevant departments in the hotel. I am especially disappointed to read of poor housekeeping & attention to detail and am sorry that you have left with a poor impression of the hotel.

Your review does not mention whether you discussed your disappointment prior to your departure however I would welcome the opportunity to do so if you could please contact me directly at the hotel.