“stayed as guests of a wedding part for two nights/brilliant room for wedding”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“stayed as guests of a wedding part for two nights/brilliant room for wedding”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

the wedding room was lovely and well planned out. the food good and the service good.
stayed two nights the room we had was large double bed comfortable and warm. bathroom big enough bath and shower but not over large.. Small bottles of shampoo and shower gel towels provided,
iron and ironing board provided.
tea and cofee and biscuits and an ice bucket and mineral water provided.
TV and phone in room.
only fault was poor lighting and not warm enough as heater/radiator incased in wooden box so room didnt get warm.
At times the building was noisey on the saturday night but Sunday was very peacful.
The floors in the corridor are uneven in places due to age of building could be problem to people not steady on their feet.
All in all I would stay again.

Room Tip: single room are very small
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Kent
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel was chosen by default by myself and my husband as we were attending a dinner dance on the Friday. I booked an upgrade for the friday/sat nights as comments on trip advisor had suggested this was a good idea. When we arrived the room was very cramped and the bed looked rather small, I even asked is this was indeed an upgraded room and was assured by the chap who carried the luggage that yes it was. However, we soon discovered that the bed was only a double with one blanket and a tiny sheet, which resulted in one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. The room and bathroom were clean but that's about all you could say positively. Rather oddly the base of the door looked like it has been chewed, was the previous guest trying to escape?
On complaining the following morning, and asking if they knew anyone who preferred to sleep with sheets and blankets rather than a duvet (it transpired that they have none available anywhere in the 136 room hotel) I was met with the comment that "the management " were considering introducing them next year.
We were then moved to the upgraded room, which as another reviewer noted was utterly soulless, it was big but that's about all you could say.
I can't really fault the staff as both the front of house and the food & beverage manager were polite and professional and tried to assist as much as possible, they reduced the room rate I paid as compensation. But given the constraints I suspect they are working under, this hotel is one to avoid.

2 Thank Br1dgewater
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear reviewer, thank you for your review and I am sorry that your stay was not satisfactory.

Reception were right, we are introducing duvets in the new year and hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Apologies once more and if you contact me on gm.oldswan@classiclodges I will happily make the arrangements for you.

David

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Attended a function paying extra for executive room shower robes chocolates etc, room was large but poorly furnished no homely touches, no extras in room shower robes,chocolates etc, asked twice at reception for these to be placed in room but never delivered . Apologies given at check out and non supplied extras removed from the bill. Would we stay there again? NO!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wales
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here for one night a couple of weeks ago for a function, we did not have high expectations of the room as we had stayed over last year and had been disappointed, we were only staying because of the convenience.

We got to the room and our initial impression was good - it was clean and tidy and reasonably well decorated but unbearably hot. Two very thin pillows each and blankets on the bed - why not use duvets nowadays !

But - now to the bathroom - it can only be described as a passageway - long and narrow. You walked in and the bath was in front of you running down one side of the room with a narrow walkway down the side towards the sink and toilet which were at the window end; when you go there you had to squeeze past the end of the bath and sink to sit on the loo. There must have only been about 8 inches of space. I have mobility issues and it was very hard. When my husband went for a wash he could not put both hands in the sink at once it was so tiny and for me - as I am on the large side I had to sit on the toilet in order to wash as there was not enough space to stand between the loo and the basin.

The staff were very pleasant and supplied us with a fan and extra pillows but yet again this hotel was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Don't bother - find somewhere else
1 Thank iwantholidays
Dear reviewer, thank you for your review and I am sorry to read that you have been disappointed on your last two visits.

I can empathise with your feedback and apologise for any inconvenience. Please contact me on gm.oldswan@classiclodges.co.uk in order that I can get some more details.

Apologies once more

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have just returned from a lovely weekend trip to Harrogate. When we arrived our room was not ready and we had to wait to get into our room ,however our room didn't seem to be the only one that wasn't ready. When we got into our room we were delighted to see that it was a lovely big spacious room. The room was very clean and comfortable. As part of our package we were meant to have fruit and wine in our room and it wasn't there, we rang Reception and they said they would send the wine straight away but said the fruit hadn't been delivered. the wine was delivered but we are still waiting for the fruit. These things were a shame as the hotel is lovely ,the evening meal and breakfast excellent and the service was second to none . We would like to return again these niggles didn't spoil our stay and the free car parking was a bonus..

1 Thank alan h
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments. I am pleased that your visit was enjoyable and sorry for the glitch with the fruit.

We hope you return again soon.

Kind regards
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have just returned from a weekend at The Old Swan. Having stayed here a number of years ago we were looking forward to returning, remembering the spacious room and large bathroom. I knew the hotel had been refurbished and the public areas are quite impressive and very comfortable. Our room, on the other hand, was a disappointment. It was a double room but was very small with a tiny shower room. It reminded me of a good quality guest house. The bed was a double bed, with a king size bed head to make it look bigger. It was also only about four feet away from the door and every sound could be heard from the corridor. The small wardrobe (it had to be) held the tea tray, kettle, ironing board, iron and hair dryer, so good job we were only there for the weekend and didn't have a lot of luggage. The shower room contained the smallest shower tray possible and the wash basin was tiny - you couldn't even fill the kettle because it wouldn't fit under the mixer tap. The telly had a 32 inch screen and was out of proportion with the rest of the room. And during the night you could hear sounds from neighbours ( and they were only talking normally to each other)

On the plus side, the room was clean and the food in the restaurant was good, with attentive staff. There was a wedding party at the hotel and all the guests had met in the only bar in the early evening, although they obviously had another room available to them for the celebrations. We had booked a table in the restaurant for 9pm but went to the bar for a drink beforehand. Unfortunately because of the wedding party there was no room in the bar and getting served was an impossibility, so we just had to hang around. We went to the restaurant a bit earlier, and although they didn't chase us, they obviously would have preferred us to wait until 9pm.

We thought the small rooms were part of the refurb until we started talking to other guests who had larger rooms. When we checked out we mentioned that we were disappointed with the size of the room for what we had paid - £130 for the Saturday night - and that was just for the room. we were advised to phone in advance if we stay again and they would attempt to give us a bigger room. We were also advised that because there was a wedding at the hotel all of the wedding guests had been accommodated in one part of the hotel (presumably they got the best rooms too)

We would return but only on the basis we weren't put in the box room and we would check whether or not there was a wedding because given our experience in the bar before dinner, if you weren't in the wedding party, you didn't really matter

Room Tip: If you are offered room 333 ask for another one, unless you are a single person and then it might be...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer, thank you for your review and I apologise that your feedback is mixed.

I am sorry that your allocated bedroom was not satisfactory and that you felt the wedding was our priority. We are a popular wedding venue, particularly at weekends, however I can assure you that we try and please all of our guests.

At some stage in most weddings the party breaks from the days wedding breakfast and usually congregate in the bar before returning to their evening reception. I apologise that you got caught in this period at the bar. We have several lounge areas and I am sorry that seating and service was restricted for that short period.

Please feel free to contact me before your next visit to discuss the matter and I will oversee arrangements for your stay.

Apologies once more
Ponteland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Like many others of the guests, my sister and I stayed two nights while visiting the Knitting and Stitching Show.

The hotel is large (though not over-large). The beds very comfortable, good en-suite facilities and they had everything we needed.

The lounge was particularly comfortable - lots of sofas and high-backed leather chairs - a small but varied bar menu and wonderful teas (although we didn't have the full tea).

What does put this hotel on top is the service. Everywhere the staff were friendly, approachable, watchful (always a very good sign). The food was tasty, although I am now not used to such rich fare (not the fault of the hotel).

The Old Swan has a good atmosphere and with a mixture of Show-goers, and conference attendees, plus locals coming in and out, it works well.

Like many hotels, often the TV system has a few gremlins in the works. Granted I was not there to watch it, but I do like to listen to the radio. It was available on the digital TV but during the morning the reception had hiccups!!

My sister and I are hoping to return again next year.

Room Tip: I didn't book the rooms, but each had a double bed with memory mattress. We had adjoining rooms...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear reviewer, thank you for choosing us as the base for your stay in Harrogate.

Your kind words and description of your visit are much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you next year. Please call us direct or visit the hotel website for the best deals.