“A Nice Hotel with a massive heating bill”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Halifax, United Kingdom
“A Nice Hotel with a massive heating bill”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Attended this hotel for 3 days due to a business conference. Check in was very quick and efficient.

Walked into room (135) and a wall of heat hit me. Although it was January the heat was oppressive. Turned off the radiator in the bedroom but no option in the room.

Asked for a fan which was provided and did make things slightly better but still hot.

The room was large, well furnished, clean and the bed was comfy.

Over the 3 days I did not eat Dinner but found the breakfast to be of a good standard.

1 Thank Richard A
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review and appreciation of our heating bill challenge!!

Glad you enjoyed your visit and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked the Old Swan for a two day break to celebrate my birthday. Its in a great location for the walk to the town centre but far enough away to be quiet at night. We had a large double room with plenty of space with a nice bathroom and brilliant shower, one thing we hate is low pressure showers, this shower was ace. All the staff were friendly, breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice in a lovely restaurant with a fabulous ceiling and lots of detailed coving. The hotel is old yes, has been renovated to a certain extent, but it has lots of character, the lift for example is great with its working mechanism exposed so you can see it in operation. You cant modernise too much such a lovely old building. We really enjoyed out stay and will be coming back because we loved Harrogate so much.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Veganolive1
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your 5 star review and belated birthday wishes!

Your review title highlights two of our strengths, only a few minutes in to Harrogate and a fabulous Victorian hotel.

Thanks and we hope to see you again soon

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here for a Christmas break in 2013 and the hotel certainly knows how to do Christmas. The food was very good and there was more than enough space for everyone in the lounge areas. Our rooms were a bit small and very cold because the radiators were not working. However, the staff did their best and we were provided with as many extra blankets as we wanted but we spent as little time as possible in the room which was a shame. One very elderly member of our party was given an oil filled radiator and this helped. It wouldn't put me off going there again because it was a lovely hotel but in the winter I might just pack a fan heater!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your positive comments and great review of your stay at Christmas.

Glad you enjoyed it and hopefully we'll see you again before December 2014!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Staying in this hotel I was reminded of my school trips as a child around historic creaky buildings - you know the ones - floorboards covered with decadently thick carpets that sprung underfoot and creaked gently?

This was a lovely experience and I would have to agree with many of the reviewers - it was an enjoyable stay. I'm afraid I too found the dining menu confusing and it didn't have much of a choice.

My only mistake was to ask if there was also bar dining - because I had gone all day without food and the dinner course portions were "fine dining" - very nice but not much of it.

I was very confused trying to find my room the first time because (and this is my fault not theirs) I didn't read the signs properly, so I found I went the long way round once I'd exited the lift. The room was comfortable and clean and had everything I needed - so all in all a good experience.

Breakfast was really good - with such a variety of food available with a full range of options.

Would I go again? I know I will.

1 Thank Bernie F
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your stay, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night in this hotel in September when I was in England for a course being held at the Old Swan. Pretty impressive exterior, helpful staff. I got room service breakfast. Food was good. Facilities for the course were excellent. I had a quirky little room. It was like an old-school bedroom from the 30's! Added to the charm though for a one-night business trip. (See photos)

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments, glad you enjoyed your visit!

Regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Just had three nights at the Old Swan and really enjoyed the time. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very tasty but the evening meal was very average. My advice is B&B only there are too many great restaurants in Harrogate itself. I liked the Old Swan and will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom at the front.
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback, apologies the evening meal was only average and I hope you shared your disappointment with the team in order that we can learn from our mistakes.

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed over the weekend having been to the OldSwan many times we were really looking forward to it. Booked the dinner b&b deal and have to say the breakfast was lovely but the dinner menu was poor. Also too complicated as to what you can have on the deal....would it not be easier and less fussy to just have a menu that was for people who had booked the dinner b&b deal, rather that having to calculatr how much your dinner is going to cost to keep within the amount allowed...when you go for dinner thats all you want to do...choose your food not have to count up what its all costing too keep to your £24 allocation. Also found the hotel cold and both fires in reception and the bar had no stock of logs or coal available to keep them going and give out heat..Room was ok good size but need new pillows.....flat and hard....All in all this trip to a much loved hotel was a bit disappointing

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your comments and I apologise that we were below par on this occasion.

Hopefully we'll get another chance to impress soon.

Regards