“I am Cesar Ritz reincarnated”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
London, United Kingdom
“I am Cesar Ritz reincarnated”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel is fantastic. I checked every corner for dust and couldn't find anything - even with the microscope that I carry for my hotel inspections .

Even in my first incarnation I Could not have created food as good as this. Escoffier is an amateur compared to these guys.

The receptionists weren't just friendly, they were really attractive . I asked one of them to spend the night with me , and she said yes! Now that is service!!!!

I checked out, replete, happy and fully satisfied. I walked out of the front door, self combusted and disappeared in a puff of my own self importance.

• Stayed February 2014
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Cesar!
Thank you for your interesting review, glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit!
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We visit this hotel a couple of times a year and have never been let down. Although we were given a small room, last visit we were given a suite and spoilt, it was perfect. Clean, comfortable and little extras. The staff again were superb, friendly and polite at all times. Thank you for a lovely break, counting down to the next one.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you once again for your positive comments, glad you enjoyed your break and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed for one night in February this year? Hotel very charming with staff helpful in everything we asked for.The only complaint that we had was that the bedroom was very small for a 5star hotel although the bathroom was huge! We noticed that the television was sloping on the table it stood on and The door had a half inch gap at the bottom and light flooded in under the floor making the room bright when all the lights were off.We put a towel under the door to stop the light coming in and came to the conclusion that the floor was unleavened and everything was on a slant ! Overall this did not spoil our stay

Room Tip: check out room before you unpack
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your positive comments, all of our bedrooms are different in terms of size and layout, I would encourage reviewers to let us know whilst they are with us if they are not happy and we will do our best to ensure they are comfortable.
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I booked this through Secret Escapes for afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast, for £99, and it was lovely. We had a corner room with double aspect windows overlooking the front of the hotel, and it had a lovely homely feel about it. I think there are 3 things that would make a difference though, crisp white linen and a duvet on the bed, a glass screen for the shower instead of a curtain and some new fluffy bath towels. That said, it would not put me off going again, the staff were friendly and helpful. The food in the Wedgewood was excellent and very well presented, the room is amazing. The afternoon tea is a must, I have to be gluten free and surprisingly it wasn't a problem, sandwiches, scone, jam and cream and other lovely cakes.
The hotel is going through some re-furbishment which is needed in some areas, and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a stay and shopping.

1 Thank Karon312
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for you constructive review and I am glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

As I've mentioned in a previous response we will shortly be introducing duvets.

Many thanks
Abergele, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at the Old Swan for two nights on 13th and 14th Feb. and had a lovely relaxing stay in Harrogate despite the weather.The hotel is in a brilliant location for exploring Harrogate and is set in lovely grounds with good views into town. We only did B & B at the hotel so can only comment on the breakfast which was plentiful and lovely and all the staff were attentive and pleasant. Our room was fine for our needs but could benefit from a little TLC although there was a strong smell of paint in there when we arrived which indicates work is going on somewhere. I noticed the floor boards in the room and elsewhere were quite noisy and warped and I had to remind myself it is called 'Old' Swan as I creaked my way across the room to stuff my hubby's jumper into the 2 inch gap under the door. I have seen other reviews on here about guest's rooms being very hot but we had the exact opposite, although I do tend to feel the cold easily but my hubby said he felt the temperature was just on the wrong side of being comfortable too. Anyway this was rectified as soon as we requested an additional heater for the room and it was lovely to return to our room following our walk back from our evening meal in town to find it all 'toasty' with our new heater switched on!

Dear reviewer

Thank you for posting your feedback and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your trip to Harrogate.

We have recently painted all of the bedroom corridors in the hotel and are currently re painting the ground floor, reception and meeting rooms - sorry about the smell!

Thanks again

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just returned from a secret escape package at this hotel including afternoon tea,dinner and breakfast. I was a little worried reading some of the previous reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were lovely, the room although small was adequate, with everything you need. The afternoon tea was superb. Dinner was lovely, but as I only like white meat and no fish, I did struggle with a main course, as no chicken on the menu, but I did have the veggie option that was nice, that is not the Hotels fault but mine for being so picky, The breakfast was also lovely. We had a wonderful time at this hotel, yes this is an old hotel, but for me that is part of its charm, ideally placed for exploring the centre of Harrogate, would not hesitate to return.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your five star review! The team and I are delighted that you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thanks again

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Just returned from a very pleasant one night package stay including afternoon tea,evening meal and breakfast. Excellent value for money. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Room a little hot so switched off the heating and opened the window. Would prefer duvets on beds but apart from this had a wonderful time. Would certainly stay there again or one of the other group hotels.
Great for parking,very central.

Room Tip: Front facing
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your comments and I am glad that you were enjoyed your stay.
We do plan to introduce duvets in the next few months.