“Calm and relaxing”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights on the Secret Escapes deal which was excellent value. The added bonus of afternoon tea being included was total indulgence. However, the weekend was made by the friendly, very helpful and efficient staff, good food both at dinner and breakfast, good housekeeping, (because for being such a large and old hotel, the place was very clean), fresh, crisp, linen on both tables and beds, and large elegant displays of flowers around the hotel. It was such a relaxing weekend, the hotel remained calm and serene even though there was a wedding being held within the hotel. Staff were attentive and friendly throughout the weekend. Being so close to the amenities of the town was great, no need to use the car! There was plenty to do within the town without having to go any further. Large areas of gardens with beautiful flowers that were ablaze with colour, interesting shops, museums, lots of eating places and theatre too. Harrogate is an excellent choice for a weekend break or to be used as a base for venturing further with Yorkshire and so too is The Old Swan. We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your informative view and I am pleased that you enjoyed your trip to Harrogate.

Hopefully you will be returning soon!

Regards

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is a delightful hotel which has all the classic wow factors that you hope for in a period hotel. It is perfect for exploring central Harrogate and walking distance to the Convention Centre. There is ample parking available. It has a timeless elegance which is first noticeable on arrival and in the Cocktail Bar and Restaurant. There are a few "snags" that just prevents a higher rating but nothing worthy of a mention.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments and apologies for the 'snags'. Thank you for not declaring them in your review and I trust they were resolved to your satisfaction? Please get in touch with me at the hotel if not.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We also went on the £99 deal to the Old Swan. 3 course, dinner, bed, breakfast & afternoon tea for TWO people included. How anybody can complain about anything is beyond my comprehension!! The hotel is gorgeous, the staff brilliant and the food nice. Our room was fairly small but clean and comfortable - great shower. I would not hesitate to stay here again. This is my 3rd stay in Harrogate & by far the best hotel yet. 5 mins walk into the heart of the town centre. Yes there is a bit of a hill, but this hotel was here long before all those modern town centre shops so give it a break please. I will always remember the enormous bouquet of fresh Lillie's by reception. So gorgeous I thought they were plastic except for the perfume. Highly recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments, I couldn't have said it better myself!!

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Friday via Secret Escapes- I had been concerned as I'd read to previous reviews though I nededn't have been.
This fabulous hotel is located within minutes of Harrogate town centre.
There is ample parking available also. Entrance into the hotel is via an old Victorian revolving door.
Check in was swift and the receptionist was very smiley.
As part of our deal we had afternoon tea but as we arrived a minute after 5pm we were too late to take it- we were offered the opportunity for the following day at 1pm but we had other commitments. I did feel it would have been better if we had been given a voucher for the afternoon tea to use on a different occasion but this was not an option and we were told we'd have to lose it. ( a bit frustrating when we had bought it in our package and if timescales were mentioned for the tea it must have been in the small print)
The hotel has a fabulous old lift that runs through the centre of the hotel in a wrought iron cage and was great to see.
Our room was on the 1st floor- long corridors veering off in different directions-,I do feel the whole look would be improved by new fire doors as the exsisting ones do give an old hospital feel to the place.
We didn't have much of a view out of our room but not every room can but the room was spacious with mahogany furniture and rich bedding- very nice- the bed we would discover was very comfortable and the bathroom was great with a lovely powerful shower with piping hot water.
Dinner was served in a grand hall with a glass roof. The food was delicious - I had duck terrine with pickled veg- followed by chicken in cream sauce with dauphinois potatoes- yummy- have to mention the cheese board- brought to you on a big silver domed trolley with various cheeses chutney biscuits fruit to choose from! Fabulous.
Service was attentive polite and efficient- no complaints at all!
Breakfast in the morning was delicious too.
This hotel certainly has a lot to offer and I would be happy to come again- I couldn't really imagine anyone not enjoying the overall experience this hotel has to give.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your constructive comments and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

had a one night stay at this lovely victorian hotel we booked an executive room ..i must say i was a bit disappointed in the room for an executive room it was lovely and big ,,but very bland,, not much effort to make it special apart from the bathrobes and little box of chocs ...wardrobe and dressing table clumped together ...i have been in much much nicer bedrooms for the price ..
the tap for the bath was integrated with the shower tap didn,t know which way to turn it for bath water so when i switched it on my hair was completely ruined by shower water.gushing out of it ..i managed to turn it the other way for bath water eventually...only thing is the taps were halfway up the wall so i couldn.t top up bath without getting up to ajust it .then i turned it the wrong way again ..cos i forgot which way it turned for bath water . and got a shock when i was blasted with cold shower water again .. the staff were very good the food excellent....i would stay again but would want a better room

Room Tip: not 158 if you looking for luxery stay
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that you experienced problems with the water controls. I can appreciate your frustration and would certainly recommend that you mention it for your next stay although all our showers/bath controls are similar.

Thanks again

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We got married on the 15th March this year and we had the most perfect day any bride and groom could ever wish for! Our reception took place at the lovely Old Swan Hotel. Right from the start our wedding coordinator, Jessica, was brilliant, efficient, well organised and I had complete faith in her (not something that I easily do!) She was very helpful, was able to advise us brilliantly and I knew I could rely on her.
When we arrived at the Old Swan, Jamie, who took charge on the day, showed us the room; I almost cried when I saw it- it looked incredible. It was more than I could have ever imagined. After our drinks reception our 120 day guests sat down for the wedding breakfast; everyone said how nice the food was - it came out quickly and efficiently and the waiters and waitress's were all polite and friendly. Jamie kept making sure that everything was ok and how it should be; he did an excellent job. It really is a credit to him as I'm sure these things can be very stressful, but he was calm, organised and knew exactly what was what.
For our evening reception we had about 50 extra guests - they opened up the garden room and we had the stage for the band. Some of our older family members went home early, and one of my worries was that we wouldn't have enough people to fill this huge room, but the way the hotel had laid out the seating area, bar and other tables was ideal and it didn't look empty at all. The band said it was the best venue they've ever played in for a wedding with the stage and the room lay out. And many of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to, a lot of this was down to the hotel.
The bedroom we had was lovely, clean and spacious with a lovely four poster bed.
Everything on our day went to plan and this is with great thanks to the hotel; I would definitely recommend having your wedding reception at The Old Swan and now I want to do it all over again!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear reviewer

Thank you for posting your comments and congratulations!!

Pleased that your day was special and Jamie is chuffed with his mentions!!

Many thanks

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Rooms are ok but bathroon window did not shut and you cannot adjust the temperature of the shower yourself. We had scalding hot water only the first 2 days - reported it to housekeeping but no change. Eventually got a maintenance man who came and fixed it. The hotel is spacious and close to all amenities yet still reasonably quiet at night. Generally its ok, a bit dilapidated but characterful. What put me off is the indifference of the staff. Breakfast was a bit of a joke with youngsters hardly able to take orders in English walking about like zombies (when they were there at all) in dirty clothes, with older staff running around doing all the work. When we left the duty manager neither thanked us for our custom (4 nights B&B) nor asked for our opinion. Disappointing

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear reviewer

Thanks for taking the time to review your visit and I am sincerely sorry that it was not up to standard. I appreciate your comments and have followed them up with those concerned to ensure we learn from our mistakes.

Apologies once more