“Disaster - steer clear!”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our first ever visit to Harrogate and we arrived at this hotel (after a 3 hour drive) 2 hours AFTER check in time and were told our room wasn't ready. The female on reception, offered no explanation until I questioned what happened now as room should have been ready from 2pm, whereby I was told they had had a busy check out that morning?? this was now nearly 4pm!! but she could take our bags & offer me a complimentary drink - still no apology! I declined the drink (we had friends to meet that evening and just wanted to get ready) After waiting in reception for approx 40mins and watching at least 4 other couples get booked in with no update being provided (despite being told approx 15mins at the start), I challenged a reception manager what was happening and why we couldn't be offered one of the rooms that were ready and he was as rude as the woman on reception & he just told me "it didn't work that way, rooms were preallocated & our room was nearly ready!" I pointed out I thought it was disgusting no apology was being offered or progress update, his only retort was I refused a drink (obviously their idea of customer service!) and only then he decided to apologise for the inconvenience, however with the attitude shown to us since our arrival, (we noticed whilst waiting they had a wedding on and obviously insufficient staff to cope with the number of visitors they had, but that should not be our problem), we had no desire to spend the weekend at this hotel & pay them my hard earned cash! Never have I experienced a reception at a hotel with such poor customer service - I would not recommend this hotel to anyone if you want a nice relaxed weekend away

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula G
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I am sorry that your experience did not make better reading.
I sincerely apologise that your room was not ready for your arrival, unfortunately this can sometimes happen and I am also sorry that our attempts to placate the issue were not acceptable.
Kind regards
David

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed last weekend for a barbershop convention. the outside is stunning, and very convenient for the town and convention centre. The reception rooms are lovely and the staff are friendly and very helpful. The breakfast food was very nice, especially on Friday when it was cooked to order. however, the rooms are definitely in need of refurbishment and for £130 per night, I would not consider our room, (338) to be value for money. It was small, dark, the bathroom wAs so small you could not get two people in there at the same time. It looked over the roof of the kitchens , as did a lot of the rooms. So if you do stay here, make sure you ask for a front facing room.

Room Tip: Front facing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

It was a decision that I pondered for a week, a rating of 3 or 4? In the end I opted for 4, after a week of consideration. The hotel stands impressively on Swan Road, no more than 10 minutes walk from the town centre, 5 if you walk briskly. It's not a tough walk either, not particularly hilly, and you pass some interesting landmarks & points of interest as you go; the museum/gallery is one.
The hotel is very spacious, a little dated, but it's not cramped, the halls are wide & the main staircase doesn't force guests to wait with luggage, as they too are wide & not too steep.
Our room was clean & tidy, if a lite small, with a full en-route bathroom. It had everything you needed other than a fridge.
Breakfast was as you'd expect, a buffet of full English, with cereals, toast, coffee etc. All of which were hot, or at least what should have been hot was. The service for breakfast was very good, the staff were helpful & attentive. This was repeated in reception, where the staff again were helpful, volunteering a map of the town & surrounding area with advice & recommendations on what to see & places to visit.
Parking wasn't a problem & with such nice weather it was a pleasure to sit out for half an hour reading a book at the front of the hotel whilst the lawns were cut & the smell of freshly cut grass filled the air. A relaxing evening away at the Old Swan.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tim G
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Really love this hotel, and just when you think it can get no better it does.

The hotel, the food, the staff, it cannot be faulted, we are quite fussy at heart but you would go a long way to beat this place.

It was my husbands birthday the weekend, the staff found out and pulled out all the stops, and they were never approached!

If I have the money this would be the place I would visit every month without fail.

Looking forward to our return sometime soon.

A big thank you to everyone at The Swan for a really nice break.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding reception at the hotel. Throughout our stay the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Our room though, (384), was very hot. It was a really nice sunny, warm day, but our room was just far too warm. We asked reception for a fan and they took one to the room for us, but it was only a desk fan and didn't help to cool the room.
When we got back to our room from the wedding reception, we thought with having left the window open and having the fan on for a number of hours it would be cooler, but it wasn't and for some reason they had the heating on!! Due to the heat and the noise from the fan, I barely slept at all and then workmen outside began working on the hotel at 8am, so there was just no chance of getting a couple of hours in before check out.

The room itself was quite dated, as was the decor in the corridors, which is a shame because the building itself is stunning. The room was quite small, so it would benefit from having a lighter colour for the furniture as it was dark wood.
There was a good selection of tea/coffee in the room and there was also hot choc, biscuits and bottled water.

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as it was cheaper to go elsewhere.

The location is really good and parking was easy. There is an overflow car park just at the side of the hotel.

We wouldn't stay here again as we can pay less for a nicer hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

It was my privilege to spend a few days at this delightful hotel last week. The welcome was superb and considering there had been a mess up with my booking, entirely the fault of a secretary, a huge effort was made to find me a room. Excellent food, delicious breakfast buffet, all in the most pleasant of surroundings. Anything to complain of - yes, the over zealous temperature in the bedrooms! This, linked with the inability to open windows wide meant a first sweltering night before a move the next day. Would I go back? Indeed I would, for all in all it was a delightful visit.

Stayed: May 2014
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear reviewer, thanks for your feedback and apologies for any discomfort
Regards
David

Reviewed 17 May 2014

i recently stayed at the old swan hotel, harrogate and ultimately i enjoyed my short stay.
the room was small and was quite poor. housekeeping need to up their game a bit.
breakfast in the morning was good. a lady who i assume is the manager was stood at the door and took our room number which she crossed off a list and told us to take a seat. she didn't look to do a lot else even when the staff members were clearly busy. we went down to breakfast early as we had been warned it gets quite busy later on. the buffet had a lovely selection of fruit, cereals, yoghurt & juices and we were served by a young waitress very quickly. she was very polite and made us feel very welcome. she took our order for hot drinks, toast & breakfast and the breakfast arrived very quickly. the food was lovely with the exception of the bacon which did not appear to have even seen the grill. when we had finished our breakfast the same waitress who took our order cleared our plates away. we dined in the restaurant that evening and noticed that the same waitress from breakfast was on again that evening though she did not serve us. the food was lovely. we retired to the bar after our meal but wish we hadn't. the girl behind the bar was so miserable and it came across that she would rather be anywhere other than work at that time. the restaurant staff were lovely and friendly and the bar staff need to take tips from them. i would definitely return to this hotel and i love its historic connections to agatha christie.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple