“good stay”

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
durham
“good stay”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have just returned from a 2 night dinner bed and breakfast with afternoon tea midweek break. The room was a little shabby in places but it had everything you needed, good hairdryer big wardrobe, bed, chair, large tv, coffee and tea with real milk and biscuits in the room. The bathroom was small but modern and the rain shower was excellent. Afternoon tea was beautiful, the sandwiches were fresh and delicious , as were the scones and cakes. The evening meal had good choice from the menu and all three courses were excellent . Breakfast each morning was also delicious with a choice of fruits and cereals etc. A selection of toast was offered and the full yorkshire breakfast was very good. Lastly the location is excellent , you can walk down the road into the town centre within minutes. The hotel is a little shabby in places but they were decorating parts while we were there and honestly it didnt bother us as it is a beautiful old building and there are some beautiful rooms and features. I would thoroughly recommend staying and also recommend the dinner bed and breakfast deals they are excellent value

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We attended a family wedding here and had a great time. The check in process was quick and painless and when we arrived in our room we were suitably impressed. We paid £140 for a superior double and £110 for a twin if my memory is correct. I saw this as fair value for this type of hotel and location. The hotel was beautiful and well appointed and a lovely wedding venue. The food during the reception was nice and served hot to our table (this is not always the case in my experience). Now the gripes. The bar was very expensive, this is to be expected to a certain extent, however I believe it went over the acceptable limit. The waitresses handing out canapés during the early evening seemed bored and inattentive, on more than one occasion I saw them leave with half full plates rather than make another round of the guests. The breakfast was all a bit "Butlin's" for our tastes, the room being enormous and needing the benefit of something to break the eyeline and give the impression of a bit more intimacy. The self service containers had heavy metal roll back lids that constantly escaped the control of diners making a terrible gonging sound, which echoed around the dining area.

I would be more than happy to return here and maybe see a little of Harrogate in the future.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I Stayed here in december for a wedding.
They hosted the wedding really well and it was a lovely day.

For the price we paid per night I found the whole hotel a bit drab and grubby and in need of a good clean!

Given it was winter the heating was on full whack.. which should have been a bonus but our room was uncomfortable hot. The radiator in our room could be turned down but the one in the bathroom had no control. We couldn't open our window as there were lots of noisy birds nesting just outside (our room was central and overlooked a conservatory style roof meaning lots of ledges and spaces for birds!) It was so Hot my foundation melted and when I went to put it on flooded out all over my hand!

Our room had patchy marks on the walls from quick fix paint jobs, I went to put an item on top of the wardrobe and when i took it off it was thick with dust.

Breakfast was basic, the full breakfast didn't have any black pudding ( a big dissappointment for me! lol ) and there were no other choices like a fish variant or eggs benedict etc which again for a pricier hotel I'd have liked to have seen. They also said there were cheese and cold meats which had already been cleared when we ate 20 minutes before the latest time they advised!!!

Im not saying It's a terrible Hotel, the room was nice the staff pleasant, the bed comfy etc
I'd just expect extra comfort and luxoury for the price! I've stayed in much better hotels for much less!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank greenzoid
Liversedge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visiting the Swan for the first time was a pre arranged pleasure, dampened only by the lack of staff either in reception or nearby corridors. After the unwelcoming arrival, we approached the bar room to be greeted by a female member of staff who directed us to a reserved table. She proceeded to attend to us but did not invite us to name our selected sandwiches. When asked we were told we didn't have a choice, we had to accept what we were given. After objecting to this we were brought a small selection minus the smoked salmon which we did not want. They were adequate. The cakes seemed to be home made, the scones delicious and the clotted cream and jam were indeed a treat. Overall a pleasant experience in a beautiful lounge, but slightly lacking the personal touch. Will try elsewhere next time. I have scored four circles because there wasn't one for 'good' and the experience was more than 'average'. More staff needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our first ever visit to Harrogate and we arrived at this hotel (after a 3 hour drive) 2 hours AFTER check in time and were told our room wasn't ready. The female on reception, offered no explanation until I questioned what happened now as room should have been ready from 2pm, whereby I was told they had had a busy check out that morning?? this was now nearly 4pm!! but she could take our bags & offer me a complimentary drink - still no apology! I declined the drink (we had friends to meet that evening and just wanted to get ready) After waiting in reception for approx 40mins and watching at least 4 other couples get booked in with no update being provided (despite being told approx 15mins at the start), I challenged a reception manager what was happening and why we couldn't be offered one of the rooms that were ready and he was as rude as the woman on reception & he just told me "it didn't work that way, rooms were preallocated & our room was nearly ready!" I pointed out I thought it was disgusting no apology was being offered or progress update, his only retort was I refused a drink (obviously their idea of customer service!) and only then he decided to apologise for the inconvenience, however with the attitude shown to us since our arrival, (we noticed whilst waiting they had a wedding on and obviously insufficient staff to cope with the number of visitors they had, but that should not be our problem), we had no desire to spend the weekend at this hotel & pay them my hard earned cash! Never have I experienced a reception at a hotel with such poor customer service - I would not recommend this hotel to anyone if you want a nice relaxed weekend away

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula G
David R, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I am sorry that your experience did not make better reading.
I sincerely apologise that your room was not ready for your arrival, unfortunately this can sometimes happen and I am also sorry that our attempts to placate the issue were not acceptable.
Kind regards
David

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed last weekend for a barbershop convention. the outside is stunning, and very convenient for the town and convention centre. The reception rooms are lovely and the staff are friendly and very helpful. The breakfast food was very nice, especially on Friday when it was cooked to order. however, the rooms are definitely in need of refurbishment and for £130 per night, I would not consider our room, (338) to be value for money. It was small, dark, the bathroom wAs so small you could not get two people in there at the same time. It looked over the roof of the kitchens , as did a lot of the rooms. So if you do stay here, make sure you ask for a front facing room.

Room Tip: Front facing
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

It was a decision that I pondered for a week, a rating of 3 or 4? In the end I opted for 4, after a week of consideration. The hotel stands impressively on Swan Road, no more than 10 minutes walk from the town centre, 5 if you walk briskly. It's not a tough walk either, not particularly hilly, and you pass some interesting landmarks & points of interest as you go; the museum/gallery is one.
The hotel is very spacious, a little dated, but it's not cramped, the halls are wide & the main staircase doesn't force guests to wait with luggage, as they too are wide & not too steep.
Our room was clean & tidy, if a lite small, with a full en-route bathroom. It had everything you needed other than a fridge.
Breakfast was as you'd expect, a buffet of full English, with cereals, toast, coffee etc. All of which were hot, or at least what should have been hot was. The service for breakfast was very good, the staff were helpful & attentive. This was repeated in reception, where the staff again were helpful, volunteering a map of the town & surrounding area with advice & recommendations on what to see & places to visit.
Parking wasn't a problem & with such nice weather it was a pleasure to sit out for half an hour reading a book at the front of the hotel whilst the lawns were cut & the smell of freshly cut grass filled the air. A relaxing evening away at the Old Swan.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple