“An honest review...”

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Beverley, United Kingdom
“An honest review...”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and myself stayed at the Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate over the Grand Depart weekend of the Tour de France in July this year, and had mixed thoughts on our stay!
The hotel is without doubt, very old and charming, and the entrance lobby and downstairs areas are full of charm and elegance. We personally felt the décor and furnishings suited the hotel, and loved the interior display windows filled with vintage items on sale. The staff welcoming us were friendly and accommodated our luggage as we arrived very early.
Upon entering our room for the weekend, things went a little downhill! The room was very dark, with the only window in the room on a wall which faced another wall (see pics). This wouldn't have been such a problem if we had a view but we overlooked the middle of the hotel and so all we could see was roofs and other windows!! Particularly love the fact that on the hotel website it states that ' rooms overlook the town OR the peaceful hotel gardens'. I'm quite happy to accept that as an old hotel, there are bound to be odd shape rooms and interesting views, but the hotel go all out to suggest no such thing. The walls were disgusting, the paint cracked and peeled and so many grubby marks and smears. As a mum, I know how easily walls can get mucky, but also importantly, how easy they are to clean. The furniture was ok, in keeping with the style of the hotel but was rather oddly dumped round the room with no thought to making the room work. The bathroom was small and narrow but perfectly acceptable. I must say, the shower was lovely! The tv signal was terrible on all terrestrial channels and you had to pay through the nose for wifi, which in this day and age is ridiculous. The bit that really made us laugh was the fact that there was no duvet cover on the duvet - only a double sheet either side of it! As the housekeeping staff had cleverly tucked this in when making the bed, this only came to light as we got into it late at night! Unbelievable! The room seemed to lack the charm of the ground floor and was rather dull and bare.
Drinks at the bar should be avoided unless you really cant walk the 500 yards to all the lovely Harrogate bars, pubs and restaurants as they are ridiculously expensive, and certainly not competitive with what Harrogate has to offer. Breakfast was included in our booking and was acceptable, maybe a little overpriced if you were to pay separately though.
Overall, a mixed bag of thoughts for this hotel. The staff were lovely and very helpful, and the ground floor of the hotel absolutely lovely. The room we had however, was just awful. I'm sure there are many beautiful rooms in this hotel, its just a shame ours was so bad. Would I go and stay again, no.

Room Tip: Avoid room 237!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CLAIRE P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I suppose everyone says that! My daughter's wedding was held at the Old Swan in Harrogate on Sunday 13th July. The organising staff (Wedding planner and Events manager) were too wonderful and helpful for me to describe. The effort and planning they put into it were superb, especially as I have a control-oriented, every-last-detail-matters daughter and son-in-law. They were with them every step of the way and made all of it easy. We appreciate it and thank you.

The food was wonderful. We had so many guests coming to us and saying they thought it would be the usual fare and slopped on the table in front of them. They all enjoyed the food served, which was of excellent quality, wonderfully prepared and properly served.. The rooms were made ready to perfection (thank you also to our suppliers, recommended mainly by the Swan) and the whole thing went without one single hitch.

Food for the night before dinner was a mixed bag. Some were very pleased, some not so much. This could just be taste and nerves!

Got a wedding or any other do you're thinking of throwing? Go to the Old Swan in Harrogate and have a great time. It isn't the cheapest, but it is the best.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
england
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently got married in this hotel . It's a very beautiful hotel , it's old but charming. Our room had a 4 post bed and a roll top bath which was amazing. You can't beat the location of the hotel and it has beautiful grounds. Jessica was great at helping us plan everything and Paul who helped us on the day made sure everything ran smoothly and the day was absolutely perfect in every way. We got married in the garden and had the wedding breakfast in there too and I couldn't have asked for a better venue. Everyone loved the food and the staff were polite and helpful . My only thought was that it was a shame there was not free wifi in the rooms. Also my friends came and joined me for breakfast The day after and I think they paid £15 each and none of them thought it was very good, not worth 15 but apart from that , everything was great .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here and to be honest we didn't have a great choice of hotels available in the area as we had left it until the last minute to attend the Home and Gift show at the HIC.

The cost for a classic double inc. brekkie was £190 and with a four star rating and the cost, I expected much much better. The whole hotel feels tired, bedroom was small, bathroom even smaller and shower cubicle a joke - not enough room to wash. It was clean, but the whole room felt a bit grubby. There was a water leak in the bathroom we reported but it wasn't fixed.

Breakfast was an average hotel breakfast, I get better when I use Holiday Inn express.

All in all, pretty poor. If it wasn't for the location it would have been a one and I will not be using it again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Netterriers4

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Shropshire
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here two nights to attend The Great Yorkshire Show. The location is what sells it having ample car parking, walking distance from town & close to all main road routes. Parts of the hotel are very tired & shabby being in need of decoration. When booking a double room it is expected that you get a double bed not twin beds pushed together which during the night a gap appears( not conducive to a great nights sleep!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Vonichet
Holidaylover084
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We got married at the Swan in June 2014. What can I say from the moment that I booked our wedding up until the day we got married everything was great. Any problems we had on the lead up to the wedding were resolved quickly and efficiently.

Both Helen and Jessica did an amazing job helping with the planning! I would like to thank Helen who helped us make our decision on choosing The Swan for our wedding venue!

The day for perfect! There wasn't any issues, everything went smoothly, Paul who ran the wedding was great, from helping me unpack my car to helping with my nerves! (we even got sunshine)

The food was faultless, I haven't had one compliant about the day and great it was!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone deciding on a wedding venue!

Will miss going to The Swan. Can not fault anything!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Holidaylover084
L'Alfas del Pi, Spain
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a wonderful time and everyone commented on how well the hotel and staff catered and delivered excellent service to everyone during the day.

Excellent food, service and support from start to finish.

Highly recomended

Room Tip: Try to aoid higher levels and those at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family