“Very disappointing”

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
kswmint
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very disappointing. Myself and my partner stayed at the swan hotel in Harrogate for 2 nights in June 2014 for £108 per night. We were attending a wedding on the Saturday night so thought that we would treat ourselves to a break at your hotel. However, when we saw our room we were very disappointed. It was very small and dark with peeling paint on the walls and skirting boards. The bathroom was damp and had damp, peeling paint around the window. The carpets were dirty with crumbs and other dirt on them - evidently they had not been well hoovered. The shower was on 2 settings: hot and boiling hot and my husband scalded his arm badly. We complained in the Friday but it couldn't be fixed until the Saturday. My husband had to force the tap and managed to unscrew it and fix himself. Also, as I said, the room was very dark which made it very hard to get ready for the wedding.

We knew a number of people staying and it turned out they paid less for their rooms - £92 per night I believe and some had better rooms than us.
For £108 a night I expected much more and was very disappointed. The staff were good and the wedding was wonderful. However, the room really did not reflect the standard of the rest of the hotel.

I complained when checking out with a comment card and then wrote an email complaint to the company who runs the hotel, however have still not received a response, nearly a month on. I wrote that I would write a review on Trip Advisor and include feedback re. their customer service (or lack thereof!), so here it is!

Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kswmint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here for a three-day conference.
My room (240) was a nice size, with a large double bed, a desk, two armchairs and space to move around. It had a large window looking towards the back, and was quiet. The bathroom was small but adequate and the shower was powerful. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good location, easy walking distance to all the fine cafés, pubs, and restaurants of central Harrogate . It is also a ten-minute walk to "The Hydro" swimming pool. I found a good running route along a cycle path to the Nydd Viaduct.
The hotel is a traditional Victorian hotel. There are splendid downstairs areas, traditional old fashioned carpets, polished wood etc, and a charming cranky lift.
Here are the problems.
(1) The Wifi cost £10 for 24 hours. There was 30 min free per 24 hours. This worked fine but was only available on the Ground Floor. I was told they are working on this - but if continuous access to WiFi is important to your visit, check before you book. I did not use the £10 WiFi, so I don't know how strong the signal was.
(2) My room overlooked a piece of garden and a lot of kitchen/service rooms. As a result, I was greeted with the aroma of roast beef one day, and frying bacon another day. This was OK, but some might find it too much. Fortunately, perhaps, I was out of the room much of the day. In the night time, there was no smell. I should add this was high summer, and I had the window open.
(3) Breakfast is served in a ballroom-type room with no windows. The bread is sliced supermarket bread. This is a pity as there are excellent bakers nearby. I went out and bought myself a selection of proper bread rolls. My breakfast was included, but if it had not been, I would have taken it in one of the local cafés. The coffee was also not up to modern standards. There was fruit, which was good, and yogurt that was excellent. No background music in the breakfast room, which was a plus.

Room Tip: I imagine that the rooms at the front of the hotel are rather nicer than the one I had at the back o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here whilst attending a conference. It was grossly overpriced. My room was dark and airless. Breakfast was bearable and chose not to risk the restaurant after hearing tales of culinary woe from colleagues.
A 4 bedded serviced apartment was half the price and at least twice as good.
I won't be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank morebeernow
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and myself stayed at the Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate over the Grand Depart weekend of the Tour de France in July this year, and had mixed thoughts on our stay!
The hotel is without doubt, very old and charming, and the entrance lobby and downstairs areas are full of charm and elegance. We personally felt the décor and furnishings suited the hotel, and loved the interior display windows filled with vintage items on sale. The staff welcoming us were friendly and accommodated our luggage as we arrived very early.
Upon entering our room for the weekend, things went a little downhill! The room was very dark, with the only window in the room on a wall which faced another wall (see pics). This wouldn't have been such a problem if we had a view but we overlooked the middle of the hotel and so all we could see was roofs and other windows!! Particularly love the fact that on the hotel website it states that ' rooms overlook the town OR the peaceful hotel gardens'. I'm quite happy to accept that as an old hotel, there are bound to be odd shape rooms and interesting views, but the hotel go all out to suggest no such thing. The walls were disgusting, the paint cracked and peeled and so many grubby marks and smears. As a mum, I know how easily walls can get mucky, but also importantly, how easy they are to clean. The furniture was ok, in keeping with the style of the hotel but was rather oddly dumped round the room with no thought to making the room work. The bathroom was small and narrow but perfectly acceptable. I must say, the shower was lovely! The tv signal was terrible on all terrestrial channels and you had to pay through the nose for wifi, which in this day and age is ridiculous. The bit that really made us laugh was the fact that there was no duvet cover on the duvet - only a double sheet either side of it! As the housekeeping staff had cleverly tucked this in when making the bed, this only came to light as we got into it late at night! Unbelievable! The room seemed to lack the charm of the ground floor and was rather dull and bare.
Drinks at the bar should be avoided unless you really cant walk the 500 yards to all the lovely Harrogate bars, pubs and restaurants as they are ridiculously expensive, and certainly not competitive with what Harrogate has to offer. Breakfast was included in our booking and was acceptable, maybe a little overpriced if you were to pay separately though.
Overall, a mixed bag of thoughts for this hotel. The staff were lovely and very helpful, and the ground floor of the hotel absolutely lovely. The room we had however, was just awful. I'm sure there are many beautiful rooms in this hotel, its just a shame ours was so bad. Would I go and stay again, no.

Room Tip: Avoid room 237!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CLAIRE P
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I suppose everyone says that! My daughter's wedding was held at the Old Swan in Harrogate on Sunday 13th July. The organising staff (Wedding planner and Events manager) were too wonderful and helpful for me to describe. The effort and planning they put into it were superb, especially as I have a control-oriented, every-last-detail-matters daughter and son-in-law. They were with them every step of the way and made all of it easy. We appreciate it and thank you.

The food was wonderful. We had so many guests coming to us and saying they thought it would be the usual fare and slopped on the table in front of them. They all enjoyed the food served, which was of excellent quality, wonderfully prepared and properly served.. The rooms were made ready to perfection (thank you also to our suppliers, recommended mainly by the Swan) and the whole thing went without one single hitch.

Food for the night before dinner was a mixed bag. Some were very pleased, some not so much. This could just be taste and nerves!

Got a wedding or any other do you're thinking of throwing? Go to the Old Swan in Harrogate and have a great time. It isn't the cheapest, but it is the best.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
england
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently got married in this hotel . It's a very beautiful hotel , it's old but charming. Our room had a 4 post bed and a roll top bath which was amazing. You can't beat the location of the hotel and it has beautiful grounds. Jessica was great at helping us plan everything and Paul who helped us on the day made sure everything ran smoothly and the day was absolutely perfect in every way. We got married in the garden and had the wedding breakfast in there too and I couldn't have asked for a better venue. Everyone loved the food and the staff were polite and helpful . My only thought was that it was a shame there was not free wifi in the rooms. Also my friends came and joined me for breakfast The day after and I think they paid £15 each and none of them thought it was very good, not worth 15 but apart from that , everything was great .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here and to be honest we didn't have a great choice of hotels available in the area as we had left it until the last minute to attend the Home and Gift show at the HIC.

The cost for a classic double inc. brekkie was £190 and with a four star rating and the cost, I expected much much better. The whole hotel feels tired, bedroom was small, bathroom even smaller and shower cubicle a joke - not enough room to wash. It was clean, but the whole room felt a bit grubby. There was a water leak in the bathroom we reported but it wasn't fixed.

Breakfast was an average hotel breakfast, I get better when I use Holiday Inn express.

All in all, pretty poor. If it wasn't for the location it would have been a one and I will not be using it again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Netterriers4

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels