“Great”

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
doncaster
“Great”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very good Hotel food good the staff were fantastic very helpful good location.
We attended a Wedding which was very good the waitress and bar staff were excellent.
I can very highly recommends this hotel

1 Thank sprotb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Attended a murder mystery night at the Old Swan and had a brilliant stay. Staff couldn't be more helpful; hotel and rooms stunning. This was also third time at the hotel and won't be the last! The murder mystery company (Murder Experts) they use was first rate too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R M
Gainesville, FL USA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were booked into this hotel with a group trip. The group operator is usually very reliable for selecting good hotels but this one was awful. I concur with the review who mentioned the concrete pillows. In addition, it was rather warm for this area and we were unable to open the windows more than about four inches, which would have provided some cooling during the cooler nights. I slept almost not at all due to being hot. There is a lot of outside lighting so the lights kept me awake while leaving the blackout drapes open in order to get some ventilation.
The reception desk was awful. I inquired about the supposed free wifi and the clerk was very dismissive when I said it didn't work. He refused to give me a password for their pay wifi as the clerk the night before stated they would provide. He finally had to consult the manager, who I never laid eyes on, to enable me to access the wifi. There are no drawers in the rooms in addition to the uncomfortable climate and bed situation. We were there for five days, so living out of a suitcase was a problem. There was plenty of space in the rooms for a dresser so there is no reason to not have one. I don't know what else is available in Harrogate, but this hotel cannot be the best.

Room Tip: Some of our group had rooms in the front of the hotel and complained about partiers. There were thr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Beautiful looking hotel with a fabulous location but sadly disappointed with our stay. I don't think I have ever slept in such an uncomfortable bed, well I say slept, I had to fold the duvet and lie on that, the pillow was like a slab of concrete and I simply could not get comfortable at all, the room also had a very stale lived in smell, which got stronger even with the window open. Breakfast was just OK, nothing special, all in all I would have expected better for the price, glad we only stayed for one night, such a shame, needs a MAJOR injection of cash to bring up to standard. Good point was the location, very short walk to the theatre, shops and restaurants.

aberdeen
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Upon arrival, we loved it! Great location & looks so regal from the front. Reception area clean & welcoming, nothing more or less than what you'd expect! We checked in but were told curtly that the room was not ready,we were aware that check in was at 2pm & had said so! Returning to room at about 8.30, after some dinner in town, noise from a wedding was overwhelming in our room! Waiting until 10.30 before calling reception to ask about it. Receptionist was TERRIBLY rude (!!) and said in a very irritated manner that yes it was a wedding & music would stop at half past midnight. Am disappointed that there was no apology or offer of another room as we still have another night to go. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

• Stayed August 2014
Loftus. England
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Our family went to enjoy the murder night at the Old Swan. We booked 4 double rooms, We had a great Murder Night but the hotel was horrible. It is so "past its sell by". The staff serving us, both at the reception and at breakfast were surly and should be sent to a charm school asap.
I booked afternoon tea for us all for 3pm, at 5.10pm we were served tea and the two bottles of
champagne I had ordered. I had to go and remind them that we were eating soon after. They ran out of beef and could not separate the smoked salmon from the cream cheese for one of our family - WHAT?????? Finally gave us another bottle of Lanson as an apology. The rooms were dirty with dust, the bathroom door was disgusting - not up to our standard at all. At the end of a great murder night we went up to our rooms in the lift only for it to break down. The men in our party had to pry the door open and we had to jump up the 5 inches to get to the floor level.
At check out it was again a surly manager and receptionist, who after spening such a lot of money didn't bother asking if we had had a lovely time or that "was everything ok"? or that they
would be looking forward to seeing us again. All just the stuff they should be doping to keep customers coming. In out opinion the hotel used to be lovely. Now it needs massive investment to refurbish the whole place. Keep the façade and demolish the rest and re-build, keep the Agatha Christie Murder Nights (it was fun) but get new charming staff in to look after the place.
And don't mention the cold, horrible, roadside, breakfast to me, it was dreadful. Surly staff.
One young guy insisted on moving his dried out black pudding onto the platter of freshly cooked black pudding before I could be served. Having done that, I immediately moved the old stuff out of the way and served myself with the fresh. It was all money pinching in the worst way possible.
Three tissues in the box in each of our bedrooms??????? This is a hotel that is not only on its uppers but is on the way out and even Agatha Christie cannot save it.

Room Tip: Take a duster with you and hope for the best.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VickiRowcliffe
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just back from a short break in this remarkably preserved "old-fashioned" style hotel which played heavily upon its connections to the life of Agatha Christie. It was all very tastefully decorated, if not quite as "up-to-the-minute" as some places, because that wouldn't have been appropriate. I suspect that, if the unexpectedly blistering heat of Harrogate in late July hadn't kept on dragging us outdoors to make the relatively short trek through Valley Gardens to RHS Harlow Carr (with it's far less hectic "alternative" to "Betty's" main tea room in town, we would have spent more time enjoying the charms of our room immersed in our books and so forth.

As it was, we headed into Harrogate quite a lot to sample one or two of the excellent range of restaurants and the surprising (too us at least) amount of shops, as well as spending far more time than you might expect at the gardens.

Well, it was just far too lovely to be indoors.

We did eat in the hotel's own restaurant on one memorable evening and, whilst you might think that the prices were relatively high, the food was actually very good, as if someone who really cared about food was cooking it, and far exceeded my relatively low expectations of what "hotel food" could be like, and the presentation of the cheese board is a marvel that everyone ought to experience at least once.

My experiences of breakfast were less impressive, from the bewildering, to the frustrating, via the utterly bizarre, but I imagine how you experience that does depend upon quite when you choose to turn up because it could get a little frantic at times.

That aside, all-in-all, however, it felt like an excellent choice of hotel, and I think that we would return, if only to sample the "afternoon tea" we saw being served in the bar late one afternoon.