“Not 4*! Maybe 3*”

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Not 4*! Maybe 3*”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from a short break to Harrogate,on arrival (not booked ) we were greeted by a very nice man on reception,the entrance is lovley with a large round table with a large vase of Lily's,which smell realy nice,we were allocated room 333 on the top floor,it was £127.00 for on night double room including breakfast,we made our way to our room which being a head housekeeper for a large hotel was not up to my standard at all! The beside lamp did not work the wardrobe top was thick of dust in fact it came off in balls if you wiped it!the tea caddy had old coffee wrappers in it and last but not least was the cobwebs! Ooohhh my god! Do the cleaning staff own a long feather duster!i have never seen so meany cobwebs in a room,I was not staying in this room I went to reception and asked if someone could possibly go and remove the cobwebs! And without hesitation or argument the man on reception offered us a upgrade to the excictive suite! Room 318 this room was much of a Improvement ,after paying £127 I expect a clean room! In the morning breakfast was utter carnage hahaha the dinning room was just mayhem to say the least,I felt for the staff we sat more them half a hour and still had not been offered hot drinks,I had to ask in the end then we weren't given and milk! I had to ask again! The staff were all nice just very busy and in need of more staff,also maybe some order in which breakfast is served would be good!this is a lovley hotel but I can see a lot of things that need changing such as staff levels!and room attendants check lists! I would stay again but will check reviews first to check the cleanliness of things! As this is one of the most important things for me,

Room Tip: Don't pay £5.00 for 6 hrs for the wifi just call in at a cafe or restaurant and get free wifi!r...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Very helpful staff. Nothing is too much trouble. Great visit to Harrogate. One must try the afternoon tea great ambience. Well worth a visit, I shall definitely revisit in the near future. My friends had a lovely time too, we enjoyed a nice drink after our evening meal in their cosy lounge.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Roger S
Ripon
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful it's self and the staff are friendly and work very hard. The only thing that concerned us was the amount of staff they had on breakfast. Should have been more and should have been a buffet. The stay was lovely and the rooms were clean and tidy. Just want to say thank you to the waitresses in the Wedgwood for making us feel welcome. And the rest of the staff for being helpful. Shall be coming back in the future.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Kimmieteta
essex
Reviewed 8 August 2014

nice hotel, pleasant rooms, staff friendly. but the breakfast time was chaos I think that the management needed training more then the staff, as the staff were mostly over worked and made to manage on their own.
Evening meals were nice with no problems so different to breakfast times.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank srilankaEssex
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is lovely with a lot of character, but the room was dreadful! I booked a double room for my husband & I but it was more of a single room, very dusty with a lot of damp in one corner of the room, I went to complain at reception so we could be moved but as I got there a wedding party had arrived so I felt the timing was inappropriate. We were only in harrogate for the 1 night so we just put up with it. When we arrived home I sent an email to explain and that the room should be looked at. I received a letter a couple of days later apologising and there excuse was the building was very old, they are upgrading with new televisions and duvets! To be fair I think the money should be spent on sorting the damp walls out! We were offered to book again at a reduced rate and an upgrade, but while the hotel itself is beautiful I would not stay again as I'm not the only one to mention the state of the bedrooms, safer with a premier inn.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Vicki C

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have been fortunate enough to attend 2 weddings at this venue over the last month or so including the wedding of Mr & Mrs Hunter. On both occasions the staff could not have done enough for us, catering for our every requirement. The team at the Old Swan pull out all the stops for their weddings and you can tell as every guest has a smile on their faces. Thank you so much for having us and we will hopefully see you again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Disappointing is how my husband and I would describe our stay at this, what looks like from the exterior and the hype you can read about this legendary hotel, a fabulous hotel. We received this generous 2 day break from our daughter for our 39th wedding anniversary. We have both always enjoyed a good 'who done it' and this break came with a Murder Mystery package, an evening complete with meal, actors performing a good old fashioned murder mystery while dining. We had an Executive Room booked, this was disappointment number one. We have been lucky enough to travel and stay in all kinds of hotels world wide, Italy, New York, Australia and extensively in this country and never in a million years could you or should they advertise this room as executive, clean yes, basic yes, but not executive. No air con, (woman of a certain age, me, needs air con), no fridge, no safe, Wi Fi that you have to pay through the nose for, plus a bathroom that would be possible to sit on the lavatory and brush your teeth at the same time, it's that small. We were told by reception that owing to it's "Listed Building Status" they are limited to what they can do with the building, and air con was a definite no, no. Fair enough I thought, but they said I could have a fan, great, should be ok for a couple of nights, nope, it took over 24 hours to be bought to the room and that was after I had to request it again the next day. The Murder Mystery night itself was great, thoroughly enjoyed it,met some fabulous people and had a lovely meal. We thought about dining in the hotel the next day and asked at reception what the procedure was for booking an evening meal and what was the menu. we were told to ask later as the chef hadn't decided what the menu was, but it would be displayed in reception later that day. 5 pm came and still by all accounts the chef was still deciding, no menu, no help from reception to see if the menu had just been forgotten to be put on display, so we went out in to Harrogate and ate somewhere else. we came back to the hotel after 7pm and the menu still wasn't displayed, by my reasoning that equates to lost revenue for the hotel. There was a wedding in the hotel that day, perhaps chef was busy with that, which wouldn't have been a problem if someone had told us that the restaurant wasn't open today and the catering was for the wedding. The wedding itself bought other issues, our room was above the reception. No air con, couldn't open window, the noise from the disco, which went on until midnight, sleep was impossible, rest was impossible. Guests from the wedding congregating underneath our window, smoking, drinking and chatting until all hours. Breakfasts were also a little basic, my husband is a vegetarian and asked what he could have if anything to replace the normal fare of a British breakfast? the waiter had never been asked that before, strange, he came back and said he could have everything except, the bacon, sausage and the black pudding lol. so the eggs, mushrooms and baked beans then, pathetic in this day and age. This hotel could be and should be magnificent, a shining example of a bygone age, but it's not and something else, it definitely isn't 4 star, it needs re categorising. Owing to the disturbing night we had re: the wedding reception, upon checking out we had our drinks bill refunded, approximately £30 ish, which was a lovely gesture we thought, we were also told the manager would be emailing us with an apology, one week later and we are still awaiting his email. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: ask if they are catering for a function of any type during your stay, wedding, convention etc.,
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple