“DO NOT stay at the Old Swan Hotel In Harrogate”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate, UK. I DO NOT recommend this place. Small rooms, peeling paint, a computer screen for a TV that does not work properly, no air conditioning, no fans available even though the hotel literature says to ask for one if your room is hot, some rooms with no exhaust fans in the bathroom, and an unwillingness of the staff to make even minor changes to a reservation. It is very, very expensive for the low grade accommodations.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived at this hotel with friends for a two nights on a trip with Great Rail Journeys. We were concerned by the recent bad reviews of the hotel on this site. The staff are good and very helpful. We had a nice room as we had been upgraded to a suite. It was very comfortable and clean but needed some TLC. The bathroom was good with a lovely roll top bath but again some TLC needed. The worst part of our stay was the evening meals!! Gt Railway Journeys had arranged for us to have the table d'hote menu. The choice was extremely limited, food was bland and uninteresting. I even went for the vegetarian choice on two nights as there wasn't anything else I fancied. The plate of vegetables on our last night was so hard we couldn't even cut them with a knife! If as an ordinary guest you chose this meal it would cost you £24.50!! Unbelievably bad - my husband reckoned it was the worst meal he'd ever had in a hotel!! Breakfast was equally bad with cold scrambled egg and grey bacon. This is supposed to be a four star establishment.
We won't be returning and we wouldn't recommend this hotel either.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Speges
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here for 8 nights during the Gilbert & Sullivan Festival. It is a very attractive old building and was an ideal location for attending events at the Royal Hall. My single room (no 288) was rather small and dark but was clean and had everything that I needed (the ensuite was very nice). Breakfast was OK and the service was generally good apart from one morning when I came down slightly later than usual (about 8.45) and had to wait for a table. The hot breakfast was sometimes cooked to order, but on other days it was a self-service buffet. The servicing of my room was done very early and on a couple of occasions it was in progress when I returned from breakfast at about 8.45 (this was inconvenient as I wanted to get ready to go out). My main criticism was the lack of free WiFi in my room - this was unexpected and I thought that the charges (£10 for a day or £20 for a week) were excessive. Nevertheless, I would consider staying here again because of the convenience of the lovely location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We got married here in July this year. The wedding was fairly elaborate with a lot of external suppliers involved, an elaborate theme with props and hidden elements and 4 differently decorated rooms. From the very beginning the wedding co-ordinator, Jessica, was utterly incredible. Through her incredible professionalism, friendliness and organisation skills we were very comfortable leaving our day in her hands.
Jamie, the function manager, was also brilliant. His management of our meal the night before and of the wedding day itself cannot be faulted. He was professional and friendly throughout, gave us not only exactly what we'd organised, but also bent to whims (like the bride needing a cigarette or hiding from the photographers!) on the day.
The staff are all brilliant. From the receptionist, Sammi, who guarded the marriage license and "wedding book", through the night porters who allowed the bride into the function room to water the gel crystals for the vases at 1:30am, the bartenders serving wedding guests until 3am the night before, the staff who served and prepared the food on the day.
Everyone was absolutely brilliant. The day could not have ran more smoothly or been more perfect. We can't thank them enough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy-Juliet R
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel does have a certain olde worlde charm. It is in a good location for Harrogate toen centre. The service from the staff was very good despite the fact that a number of people had problem over breakfast. Which was resolved by having a buffet breakfast rather than table service which is much easier.
The room was quite small and dark by contrast with the big bright bathroom. I was rather surprised to find an ironing board and Iron in the wardrobe! I had to play hunt the kettle which turned out to be in the cupboard underneath the tv (very large tv for the size of room) along with a couple of boxes with the Tea/Coffee etc in. It would have been nice to have them marked where they were. Though having a bottle of water in there was a nice touch.
On the whole a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

For the prices charged I expected a lot more. This large hotel understandably needs to fill its rooms and it uses coach parties, conventions, training days and weddings to boost ts income. Sadly, this appears to be at the expense of the other guests who just have to be fitted in where they can. If you are looking for a more personal approach, and a higher standard of room and maintenance, then you would be advised to book elsewhere.

In summary:

Good Points - Staff all try hard to please. When not busy, table service is efficient and polite. Food is generally very well presented and tasty.

Bad - If you time it badly breakfast can be a bit of a scrum and staff struggle to keep track of who needs serving or who will replensh the breakfast fruit/cereal bar - there appears to be no system in place at these times where staff are allocated to tables and they are able to keep track of who needs to be served next. It is not the staffs fault it is simply a lack of an effective "system" and poor supervision from the "management". We did not see the General Manager in the dining room all week!

Rooms are not properly checked for defects, or if they are reported there is no urgency to repair them. Lights out in the bathroom and loose taps in the sink are clearly visible to room cleaners but no attempt to repair them was made in the week we spent in the room. For the room rate charged the bathroom was also cramped and the sink was the size of a small bird bath.

Overall, despite the fact that we liked the young friendly staff, and the chefs did a good job, the lack of proper organisaton, the small bathrooms and the emphasis on large parties would stop us using this hotel again, paricularly as there are so many more hotels to chose from in Harrogate.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from a short break to Harrogate,on arrival (not booked ) we were greeted by a very nice man on reception,the entrance is lovley with a large round table with a large vase of Lily's,which smell realy nice,we were allocated room 333 on the top floor,it was £127.00 for on night double room including breakfast,we made our way to our room which being a head housekeeper for a large hotel was not up to my standard at all! The beside lamp did not work the wardrobe top was thick of dust in fact it came off in balls if you wiped it!the tea caddy had old coffee wrappers in it and last but not least was the cobwebs! Ooohhh my god! Do the cleaning staff own a long feather duster!i have never seen so meany cobwebs in a room,I was not staying in this room I went to reception and asked if someone could possibly go and remove the cobwebs! And without hesitation or argument the man on reception offered us a upgrade to the excictive suite! Room 318 this room was much of a Improvement ,after paying £127 I expect a clean room! In the morning breakfast was utter carnage hahaha the dinning room was just mayhem to say the least,I felt for the staff we sat more them half a hour and still had not been offered hot drinks,I had to ask in the end then we weren't given and milk! I had to ask again! The staff were all nice just very busy and in need of more staff,also maybe some order in which breakfast is served would be good!this is a lovley hotel but I can see a lot of things that need changing such as staff levels!and room attendants check lists! I would stay again but will check reviews first to check the cleanliness of things! As this is one of the most important things for me,

Room Tip: Don't pay £5.00 for 6 hrs for the wifi just call in at a cafe or restaurant and get free wifi!r...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple