“Worst hotel stayed at!”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a one night stay at the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. When we arrived we had to wait a long time to be seen as one person on the desk at check in time no apology for delay and other staff had walked past and not served us. We went to our room (double) and it was filthy. Dust on all desks, dirty bed sheets that draped on the floor and had not been vacuumed. When we went to complain we were shown one other room we could have. This was in as bad a state as the original, absolutely disgusting. We said if they cleaned it we would accept this one. We were told to wait in our original dirty room until the new one was ready. We were told our new room was ready only to see a dead wasp on the floor and chairs so dirty you couldn't sit down. By this time we just accepted that the hotel didn't understand how to clean and to just get out of there and have some food.
Breakfast was an absolute shambles. Nobody on the entrance to seat you, just people running round like headless chickens. A very rude man strolled past the queue and was seated in front of everybody else queuing. When we did finally get seated, it took me to approach someone to take our order. When it came things didn't improve. It was the worst food I have ever had, didn't eat any of it. Asked for croissants to be told they had ran out with 40 minutes left for breakfast, so no! After the half hour wait I at least expected my food. There were children running around screaming and staff never asked their parents for them to sit.
Very poor experience.
All in all not worth £135 we have stayed in better £60 per night accommodation. Please do not waste your money as we did.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Georgina_Harriet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,759)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I am so disappointed in this hotel and everything about it it's not often me and my partner get a break from family life to just go and enjoy a night somewhere that we expected to be pretty high standard !! I WOULD NOT recommend you book here, the staff where un organised and they didn't have rooms ready on time for check in the decor is in desperate need of a touch up, the service to the room was poor and slow it wasn't clean hairs in the bath on the bed dusty! And the staff emptying bottle bins at 4 o'clock in the morning just added to the noise from the rooms next to us all in all the money spent was a waste and pretty upsetting, ruined our anniversary and when mentioned to them in the morning they seemed pretty angry at us for voicing our concerns !

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Samanthaberry
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is an excellent place to stay whilst having a break in Harrogate and visiting the Yorkshire Dales. Our Room was clean and well furnished with good food in the restaurant. The breakfast was very good value for money and we will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith R
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Old Swan Hotel in Harrogate, UK. I DO NOT recommend this place. Small rooms, peeling paint, a computer screen for a TV that does not work properly, no air conditioning, no fans available even though the hotel literature says to ask for one if your room is hot, some rooms with no exhaust fans in the bathroom, and an unwillingness of the staff to make even minor changes to a reservation. It is very, very expensive for the low grade accommodations.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived at this hotel with friends for a two nights on a trip with Great Rail Journeys. We were concerned by the recent bad reviews of the hotel on this site. The staff are good and very helpful. We had a nice room as we had been upgraded to a suite. It was very comfortable and clean but needed some TLC. The bathroom was good with a lovely roll top bath but again some TLC needed. The worst part of our stay was the evening meals!! Gt Railway Journeys had arranged for us to have the table d'hote menu. The choice was extremely limited, food was bland and uninteresting. I even went for the vegetarian choice on two nights as there wasn't anything else I fancied. The plate of vegetables on our last night was so hard we couldn't even cut them with a knife! If as an ordinary guest you chose this meal it would cost you £24.50!! Unbelievably bad - my husband reckoned it was the worst meal he'd ever had in a hotel!! Breakfast was equally bad with cold scrambled egg and grey bacon. This is supposed to be a four star establishment.
We won't be returning and we wouldn't recommend this hotel either.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Speges
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here for 8 nights during the Gilbert & Sullivan Festival. It is a very attractive old building and was an ideal location for attending events at the Royal Hall. My single room (no 288) was rather small and dark but was clean and had everything that I needed (the ensuite was very nice). Breakfast was OK and the service was generally good apart from one morning when I came down slightly later than usual (about 8.45) and had to wait for a table. The hot breakfast was sometimes cooked to order, but on other days it was a self-service buffet. The servicing of my room was done very early and on a couple of occasions it was in progress when I returned from breakfast at about 8.45 (this was inconvenient as I wanted to get ready to go out). My main criticism was the lack of free WiFi in my room - this was unexpected and I thought that the charges (£10 for a day or £20 for a week) were excessive. Nevertheless, I would consider staying here again because of the convenience of the lovely location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We got married here in July this year. The wedding was fairly elaborate with a lot of external suppliers involved, an elaborate theme with props and hidden elements and 4 differently decorated rooms. From the very beginning the wedding co-ordinator, Jessica, was utterly incredible. Through her incredible professionalism, friendliness and organisation skills we were very comfortable leaving our day in her hands.
Jamie, the function manager, was also brilliant. His management of our meal the night before and of the wedding day itself cannot be faulted. He was professional and friendly throughout, gave us not only exactly what we'd organised, but also bent to whims (like the bride needing a cigarette or hiding from the photographers!) on the day.
The staff are all brilliant. From the receptionist, Sammi, who guarded the marriage license and "wedding book", through the night porters who allowed the bride into the function room to water the gel crystals for the vases at 1:30am, the bartenders serving wedding guests until 3am the night before, the staff who served and prepared the food on the day.
Everyone was absolutely brilliant. The day could not have ran more smoothly or been more perfect. We can't thank them enough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple