Old Swan Hotel
Cairn Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$72
  • Breakfast included
Cedar Court Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$67
Rudding Park Hotel(Follifoot)
US$359
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$74
US$83
US$81
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Crown Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$71
The West Park Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$118
  • Restaurant
Hotel du Vin and Bistro(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$122
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Harrogate(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$75
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Kimberley Hotel(Harrogate)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$64
1,848 results
All reviewsagatha christieafternoon teamurder mysteryevening mealtown centrecream teatraditional hotellovely hotelbottle of proseccosconesold buildingself servicelarge bathroomvalley gardensenjoyable staytwo night stayfull english
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I'd summarise the hotel as faded but with a sense of past, which I find quite charming. We were not able to check in at 12noon even though I said that my husband wasn't feeling well. The room was fine, although we had a view to the middle of the hotel, looking at roofs and other windows.

We decided to have a drink at the bar before venturing out for dinner. It's a little confusing as I'm still not sure if it is table service or bar service. Not sure the bar staff wanted to serve at tables but this is quite normal to me in a hotel. We sat at a window, and spotted so much dust beside the radiator in the bay window; very poor housekeeping.

Breakfast was not good at all. The dining room would have been very elegant in its time, and now looks faded. The hotel provides a buffet in the middle of the restaurant for cold breakfasts, with hot breakfast orders taken at tables. The buffet was messy and they had ran out of marmalade. The scrambled eggs were awful, so overcooked and dry that I had to leave them.

Although there is a degree of charm, the hotel needs better staff and more care. I won't be visiting again I'm sad to say.

Room Tip: Ask for a view at the front.
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We booked to stay here for a week for the G&S Festival after visiting Harrogate the previous year to check the area and choose a hotel. The day before we were due to arrive I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I was thinking the worst. But when we arrived on Sat 16 Aug we were greeted and checked in efficiently, our double room was on the small side but clean, welcoming and proved more than adequate for our needs. Breakfast on Sunday morning was indeed busy as there had been a large wedding held at the hotel the previous day. Yes a little noisy but nothing dreadful (it was people chatting, laughing n saying farewell etc) Our order for a cooked breakfast was taken swiftly and we helped ourselves to juices, cereal,and fruit etc. Tea and hot toast arrived promptly. And yes they had run out of croissants on this busy morning, but not the end of the world. Our cooked breakfasts were lovely and on very hot plates. For the rest of the week (though quieter now the wedding guests had gone) was excellent. The staff were lovely, friendly and very attentive. We had morning coffee, afternoon tea (though lovely, a bit over priced I thought) in the hotel. We didn't have evening meals as we were due at the Royal Hall each night for the operas, so we walked to The St George Hotel just opposite the theatre for our dinner.So a very enjoyable week. I'm not sure about the disappointed guests who's reviews frighten the wits out of me the day before I was due to visit this hotel. But all I can say is, this is a listed building with restrictions on modernisation in many forms. So the smaller rooms than the usual newly built hotels not always possible, the views from winduows can't all be across majestic panoramas. This is a city period hotel with all it's charm and eccentricities. Enjoy it for all this, in the beautiful and bustling spa town that Harrogate is. :)

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in one of the suites (not the most expensive one or anything), and it was huge - 2 full rooms with a remodeled bathroom. Very clean. Great location in Harrogate. Yes, it's old, but that's part of the charm.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the suite. It's worth it. Lots of big windows, big bathroom, etc. Not sure if they all have 2 rooms, but our did. I saw one of the regular rooms with windows facing the interior (other side) of the hotel, and it was like a totally different hotel. We would not have had the same experience.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed in July in a very hot period. Without aircon and with small windows, the bedroom was stifling, and the common areas also too hot. Wifi only in the entrance area, which is not acceptable in this day and age. Position in Harrogate is very handy, but the hotel needs an upgrade.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Décor both in public rooms and bedrooms/bathrooms is pleasant, comfortable and well maintained but fairly unremarkable.
Entire hotel perfectly clean and tidy.
Food very nice, although menu and wine list are a little bit limited.

Staff are young, professional, pleasant, enthusiastic and keen to please - but might be a bit better enabled to provide the service they want to if they had a bit more training.

Thankfully, the hotel is fairly restrained with the Agatha Christie theme.
Sure, they are flogging theme-night dinners of various flavours, but the experience of being just a regular guest at the hotel does not feel like you are being hit over the head with a…. well, with a candlestick, lead pipe, wrench…..

But, considering that connection, and the corresponding 1920s-50s aura, and the fact that the cocktail bar is called “The Cocktail Bar”, the bar staff really should have been trained how to make cocktails. Even the basic ones. I had to explain what a vodka martini is, for heaven’s sake, and how to make it.

If I go to Harrogate again, I would probably try one of the other hotels.