“Old grand dame”

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
London, United Kingdom
“Old grand dame”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Cost of WiFi outrageous @ £10 per day. Noise from wedding receptions interrupts sleep until 01.30. Bathroom very small with no ventilation other than hard to open window.

Convenient location - staff lovely

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beeman96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Bournemouth, UK
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed at the Old Swan for 2 days and came away very disappointed. Where they got their 4 stars rating from is a complete mystery. The hotel is 200 years old and it looks like it. Old, grubby,worn out and completely lacking any type of character associated with a 2014 hotel.

Our bedroom although large enough was dark and depressing. It’s the first time I have stayed at a hotel where even with all the lights on it was still too dark to read a newspaper or bright enough to shave in the bathroom.

We were awakened and probably the whole floor too at 7am by a member of staff banging so loud on our door I thought the hotel must be on fire. As it turned out he was banging on the wrong door.

Breakfast was a complete farce. It took ages for a waiter to come and take our order and once given waited 40 minutes for it to arrive. It wouldn’t be so bad if it was edible but it wasn’t. The sausages and were rock hard, the bacon was rubbery and tough and the fried eggs would have been acceptable but I asked for scrabbled. On top of that the crockery was dirty so I sent the whole thing back.

It is said Agatha Christie in 1926 disappeared for 11 days staying at this hotel. She was probably in her room suffering from food poisoning.

I complained to the duty manager and in all fairness to her she offered a £50 reduction and an apology.

We stayed at this hotel because of a wedding we were attending there. Thank heavens it was arranged using outside caterers and staff. The result was a fantastic. The tables were beautifully presented, the food was first class and the waiting staffs were attentive, polite and professional. I wish the management of the Old Swan could see how this wedding was presented and learn from it. As it stands I can`t recommended anybody to stay there unless all the other alternatives have been exhausted.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JR_Bournemouth_UK

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

lincolnshire
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at 'The Crown' last year, which is very near, looked across and saw that 'The Old Swan' seemed very nice, so booked there this year as a change. Well, looks don't tell the full story. In fact neither does the description. Basically the hotel is old and a bit tired, and in places shabby, although it has had a thin paint job (where you are supposed to see), shame some of the wear and tear was not addressed before the paint. The (only) lift has a certificate that says 10 persons - wow they must have been thin !!. Our 'Executive Room' was very ordinary, and one side of the bed was 10 inches from the wall (R341), not very convenient if you are not very agile.The Evening meal was 'Ordinary', as was breakfast. We looked for the 5 acres of garden - not found. WIFI in the room was poor and although they gave 30 mins free, before charging, was so slow, signing up would have taken that 30 mins. Good news is that good, fast, free WIFI is available 100 yards away, (You will find it - you will see 'Swan' customers stood in a circle outside the hotel). The staff were very nice and chatty. Very convenient for Valley Gardens and it's nice walks - up to Harlow Carr if you have the energy. There are other near hotels that we fancy, so we will not be back.

Room Tip: We usually say 'You get what you pay for' - Perhaps not true this time
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

As with a previous reviewer I was concerned about some of the critical reviews left in July and August which was compounded by the hotel management not stepping up to the plate and answering the criticisms. E.g Rooms not cleaned, pillows like rocks, too hot, shabby, staff at breakfast running round like headless chickens..HOWEVER my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here at the back end of the G & S festival. A nice size room and a well appointed en suite with good pressure. Parts of the hotel look tired but this is a huge, old, grand building and I don't think one can expect it all to be pristine. There is a problem with the breakfast service. Firstly the menu says continental meats and cheeses are available. Well they were not on the four breakfasts we had and I suspect they have been removed from the offer. If so management need to amend or preferably replace the menu. On two of the mornings the little pots of marmalade ran out and were replaced with large jars with big spoons. Not ideal, especially when guests walk away with the jar instead of spooning it onto their plates. On the final morning, a Saturday, the dining room was busier than it had been during the week. But all the working staff seemed as if they were students. The taking of orders seemed to be on a random basis, we waited 15 minutes for ours to be taken and then when it turned up one item, and I had only ordered four, was missing. The staff do not seem to be trained properly to work in a systematic manner. They do not clear plates as they are finished with but let them pile up at the table which leads to a lack of space on the table.
I leave these points as an indicator for management to make it better- the staff try hard. And as I said above we enjoyed our stay and Harrogate is a lovely town. We would stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I'd summarise the hotel as faded but with a sense of past, which I find quite charming. We were not able to check in at 12noon even though I said that my husband wasn't feeling well. The room was fine, although we had a view to the middle of the hotel, looking at roofs and other windows.

We decided to have a drink at the bar before venturing out for dinner. It's a little confusing as I'm still not sure if it is table service or bar service. Not sure the bar staff wanted to serve at tables but this is quite normal to me in a hotel. We sat at a window, and spotted so much dust beside the radiator in the bay window; very poor housekeeping.

Breakfast was not good at all. The dining room would have been very elegant in its time, and now looks faded. The hotel provides a buffet in the middle of the restaurant for cold breakfasts, with hot breakfast orders taken at tables. The buffet was messy and they had ran out of marmalade. The scrambled eggs were awful, so overcooked and dry that I had to leave them.

Although there is a degree of charm, the hotel needs better staff and more care. I won't be visiting again I'm sad to say.

Room Tip: Ask for a view at the front.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We booked to stay here for a week for the G&S Festival after visiting Harrogate the previous year to check the area and choose a hotel. The day before we were due to arrive I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I was thinking the worst. But when we arrived on Sat 16 Aug we were greeted and checked in efficiently, our double room was on the small side but clean, welcoming and proved more than adequate for our needs. Breakfast on Sunday morning was indeed busy as there had been a large wedding held at the hotel the previous day. Yes a little noisy but nothing dreadful (it was people chatting, laughing n saying farewell etc) Our order for a cooked breakfast was taken swiftly and we helped ourselves to juices, cereal,and fruit etc. Tea and hot toast arrived promptly. And yes they had run out of croissants on this busy morning, but not the end of the world. Our cooked breakfasts were lovely and on very hot plates. For the rest of the week (though quieter now the wedding guests had gone) was excellent. The staff were lovely, friendly and very attentive. We had morning coffee, afternoon tea (though lovely, a bit over priced I thought) in the hotel. We didn't have evening meals as we were due at the Royal Hall each night for the operas, so we walked to The St George Hotel just opposite the theatre for our dinner.So a very enjoyable week. I'm not sure about the disappointed guests who's reviews frighten the wits out of me the day before I was due to visit this hotel. But all I can say is, this is a listed building with restrictions on modernisation in many forms. So the smaller rooms than the usual newly built hotels not always possible, the views from winduows can't all be across majestic panoramas. This is a city period hotel with all it's charm and eccentricities. Enjoy it for all this, in the beautiful and bustling spa town that Harrogate is. :)

• Stayed August 2014
Atlanta
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed in one of the suites (not the most expensive one or anything), and it was huge - 2 full rooms with a remodeled bathroom. Very clean. Great location in Harrogate. Yes, it's old, but that's part of the charm.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the suite. It's worth it. Lots of big windows, big bathroom, etc. Not sure if t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family