“ok”
Review of Old Swan Hotel

Old Swan Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We got a special offer at this hotel on last minute.com back in may. When we got there it as good and nice room. Not keen on the old fashioned corridors or the fact that the whole of harrogate can see u have a bath or go to the toilet if you have the blinds undone.good location for hotel. When we had to check out a night early the girl at receiption tried to charge us a cancellation charge for a room we had already paid for then siad we had to pay £50 for something.. we spoke to a manager who sorted out.
my advice is that the hotel is good but make sure you take all paperwork with you and dont let them charge you for things u have already paid for!

1  Thank emmajb
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2009

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.
I apologise that not every aspect of your stay met expectation however I was pleased to read that we had recitifed this matter prior to your departure.

Reviewed 4 August 2009

As other reviewers have stated the "classic" rooms are tiny & old fashioned - frankly you would be better of money & comfort wise at a Travellodge !!

Their website states "rooms full of character and elegance" and "large comfortable beds and modern conveniences such as satellite televisions" well I won't mince my words - these are lies !!

Our room (no374) was tiny & dark - in fact it was so small there was a groove in the back of the door where it hit the bedside table if you opened the door too widely. On the wall above the terrestrial (not satellite) tv was a large and very unpleasant stain and the furniture was too dark & large for such a small room. The bed, however, is the main issue ...... it's not large and it's far from comfortable it is. in fact, not even a full size double but the most unbelievable thing about it is that it is sideways on to the wall !!!! Therefore the person sleeping on the left has to climb over their partner to get out of bed ...... in a 4 star hotel ???!!!

I have e-mailed the David Guile the deputy exec, chairman of MacDonald Hotels but have yet to receive a reply.

Check out the pics I took to appreciate the full awfulness !!

1  Thank jep7110

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your visit to the hotel.
I was disappointed to read your comments & your letter and apologise for any upset caused by the error in allocating your bedroom. It is unfortunate that this issue was not raised during your stay to give us the opportunity to allocate a more appropriate bedroom.
I am also sorry for the delay in responding to you, we take take guest feedback very seriously and have fully investigated this matter to ensure a similar situation does not happen again.
I appreciate that you have now received a response and I hope this is satisfactory. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 2 August 2009

beware thieves about would advise anybody thinking about staying in this hotel to think again after just getting home from staying here for one night i have had £140 taken from my purse but all cards were left to me it sounds like this is a regular occurence for this hotel after reading all the other reviews just wish i had read them before i stayed hotel manager couldnt give two hoots and said they never have to deal with this kind of thing in hotel ha ha what a joke this hotel has a serious problem and its about time they acknowledged it this kind of thing is disgusting and to think someone has been going through your belongings makes me sick the old swan GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER do not waste your money on a hole like this dont know where they get there prices from far to expensive NEVER EVER again would i stay there horrid !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
DRGM, General Manager at Old Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2009

Thank you for submitting your review.
I was very disappointed to hear of this incident and sincerely apologise for any upset caused.
We do take guest security very seriously and I have since reviewed this matter with my Regional Managing Director who has responded to you directly and I trust that you can accept her gesture in the spirit that it is intended.
I would also like to reassure you and other reviewers that since this incident we have reviewed our CCTV coverage and upgraded our door locking system by fitting new swipecard locks with deadlocks to all the bedrooms to deter further issues.
Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 20 June 2009

Stayed for 4 nights as part of a holiday touring North Yorkshire. This hotel is in a great location, especially if you want to explore Harrogate on foot for a day or two. The hotel isn't very fancy, I would say it is more functional and was fine as we weren't going to use it for anything more than B&B. The Wedgewood Restaurant where breakfast is served is nice, but could be much more charming if some money was spent on it. The full english breakfast was adequate but the black pudding was overcooked everyday for some reason which is a shame as according to the menu, they were using good quality produce.
We had booked an executive room and were lucky enough to get a large 4 poster room in a quiet corner which appeared to have been recently renovated. We did see the size of the standard rooms (called "classic") and they were hardly bigger than the double bed so I wouldn't haven't been very happy with that as there wouldn't even had been space for our luggage.
All in all, our stay met our purposes but can't say if I would stay here again. Maybe the great location would sell it to me.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2009

The Old Swan is ideally situated for exploring the town of Harrogate. A couple of minutes walk fron the town, set in mature grounds with stunning views across Harrogate from the front.

Check in was efficient in a fairly grand entrance hall, staff were friendly. The route to my room on the third floor took me through some corridors with very tiered decor with a lot of ugly fire doors that could be sympathetically improved.

The room was small and dated, basic but clean. If the age of the tv was anything tho go by, it was last refreshed about 20 years ago. It definately did not live up to the claim on the banner in reception that rooms were 'contemporary and luxurious'. Bathroom was clean and modern. Through my 3 night stay the small tubes of shower gell were not refreshed - had to ask daily.

Breakfast was good - hot food was prepared in the kitchen. The dining room was beautiful, staff were friendly and happy - service was very good. Another ridiculous marketing claim though stated 'From dawn until dusk we are constantly on the search for only the best produce available'. There was no particular need to eat dinner in the hotel as there is a great choice of restaurants in the town centre.

Other public areas were ornate and well maintained. My comments to the duty managers were handled in an honest and friendly manner. They were however unable to change the tv system to show the local content.

In all, I thought the room was overpriced at £159 per night. It was refreshing that you weren't obliged to pay a pay a service charge.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2009

It's hard to know where to start with describing how poor this hotel was. I found it hard to believe that such lousy accommodation is still available in this day and age. The food was appalling, the staff ludicrously ill-informed (ordering room service took half an hour of them calling me/me calling them and this was just for drinks).

The room itself was reminiscent of a scene from Fawlty Towers. The bed wasn't attached to the wall/a headboard so shot across the room whenever I sat/lay down. The bathroom sink was tiny making even the simplest of ablutions a feat and even the lock on the door to the room was shoddy.

If you can get past the fact that the decor was last updated circa the 1940's and the fact that there seems to be no heating whatsoever (other than the free standing heater that was brought to my room after my having requested some form of heating twice) then you may still struggle with the shocking lack of comfort and how much they charge for the privilege.

Utter waste of money and a disgrace that they get away with such low standards.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Room was good value, need to have more choice for breakfast as it wasn't cheap. Perfect location for walking to the shops, sights and restaurants and lots of parking. Room was clean but hot, bit on the small side as we had to have a cot in there as well but you could fit the whole family in the bathroom and still have loads of room.
Drinks from the bar were expensive and reception was not that helpful, as this was a b-day present to me and my husband all paid and when we checked out they argued with us as they thought it hadn't been paid and there mistake it had.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family